Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default New study questions the advantages of organic foods

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/04/sc...duce.html?_r=1

Thought I'd post since I know organic foods are frequently discussed on the boards.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I saw that on Flipboard this morning. I don't doubt that having less exposure to pesticides and antibiotics are benefiting me and my family so I'll keep on with the organic stuff as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    I saw that on Flipboard this morning. I don't doubt that having less exposure to pesticides and antibiotics are benefiting me and my family so I'll keep on with the organic stuff as much as possible.

I also read about this study this morning. It appears that the study compares the amount of nutrients in organic vs. nonorganic foods and did not address the issue of toxins contained in pesticides, antibiotics, etc., which is why we prefer to buy organic.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I buy organic out of the concern for pesticides and antibiotics. I never assumed they would be more nutritious.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by minnie-zb View Post
    I buy organic out of the concern for pesticides and antibiotics. I never assumed they would be more nutritious.
    exactly.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Same here. DH and I saw this on the news last night and I said, "Duh!" I never would've thought that organic was more nutritious just more healthy from a chemical/pesticide perspective.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I would have to look at their report and see exactly what nutrients they looked at and which produce, but without doing that, I would disagree.

The produce bought at my local supermarket is generally tasteless compared to organic produce bought at Whole Foods. I don't know all the laws about organic farms presently, but it used to be there were rules in place to keep the soil from being over-farmed in the way the big corporate farms are, leaving the soil devoid of nutrients which need to be chemically added.

Regardless, there are many micro-nutrients which I am sure where not studied that are present in many organic products (again due to the soil) that are not found in non-organics.

And kind of a dumb study as most PP have said the nutrient content is not why people buy organic.
    Last edited by Rainbows&Roses; 09-04-2012 at 12:39 PM.

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree what everyone else is saying - I always got organic fruits and veggies because I don't want to buildup pesticide ingestion. And for eggs, beef and chicken ... it is because I don't want to eat meat from an animal who ate corn with a bunch of pesticides in it. I was kind of irritated when I was listening to the Today Show's report on this today - they didn't touch on the pesticide distinction until the end. I worry that the media's spin on this will make a food provider whose on the fence not choose organic.

Now if the study had looked at grass fed versus corn fed beef for example, that is a different issue. I also do choose grass fed meat because I do know it is more nutritious, not just the pesticide factor.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I found the article annoying as it seemed to misplace the focus of why people buy organic. The headlines was also a bit sensationalistic for the NYT for my taste.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I found the article annoying as it seemed to misplace the focus of why people buy organic. The headlines was also a bit sensationalistic for the NYT for my taste.
    There aren't enough Yeah That's out there for me on this post.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast