10 52.63%
  • OXO 3 panels 3.33 ft wide

6 31.58%
  • Special Order 2 5ft panels

0 0%
  • I have an idea for you...

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Poll: Options for replacing a sliding glass door

We have been housing hunting and we found a house. We need to replace the broken 1950s 10 ft sliding glass door (2 panes of 5 ft each). They no longer make 5 ft wide panels, so we have to go with another option to fill up the 10 ft. I would like your opinion as to what looks better aesthetically.

Option 1: OXXO That is 4 panels, each 2.5 feet wide. The two outers ones, the "O"s, are fixed. The two inner ones, the "X"s, slide away over the outer fixed ones. The total opening is 5 feet. Here is the best pictures I have found so far: http://www.cecvinylwindows.com/img/p.../iw%20(23).JPG andhttp://www.cecvinylwindows.com/img/p.../iw%20(19).JPG

Option 2: OXO That is 3 panels of 3.33 feet each. The two outer ones would be fixed, the inner one would slide back over one side. The total opening is 3.33 feet.
    Here is a picture: http://www.jzconstruction.com/photos...fter10.jpg.JPG and http://www.jzconstruction.com/photos...2after.jpg.JPG

Option 3: Special Order two 5ft. panels to replace the existing ones. This is the most expensive and the door is heavy and hard to move according to the window contractor, but it can be done to avoid breaking up the view (which in our case is a very ordinary back yard with grass) Here is a picture. FYI, I do not plan to go with the white lines that mimic panes. Just clear glass. http://www.jzconstruction.com/photos...fter%20(6).jpg

Option 4: Something not listed, other ideas, french doors?
    Last edited by ha98ed14; 03-28-2009 at 10:36 PM.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Definitely french doors. I loathe sliding glass doors.

GL!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Definitely french doors. I loathe sliding glass doors.

GL!
    Can I ask why you hate them? The window contractor said that french doors and little kids are not a good combo. Not sure why he thinks that... What do you think?

We're getting ready to replace an 8ft slider. French doors definitely look nicer but they cost about 30% more. This isn't our forever house so I'm uninclined to spend the extra $$. DH doesn't agree with me so we're pricing out both before we decide.

FWIW, I do lean towards the french door option. They're much more pleasing to the eye.

Hth.
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides

We have French doors across the back of our house and use them multiple times a day as our main access to backyard. I would think they would be easier for a child to open than a slider.l

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just don't like the look. I MUCH prefer French doors. I can't seen how they would be bad with children.

Maybe its b/c I"ve walked into sliding doors and also walked through sliding screen doors FAR too many times. Plus, our dog would definitely walk into/through them.

Yup, absolutely prefer French doors.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have French doors and want to change them to sliders. Here's why:

-It's hard to have it opened just a little - it's all or nothing pretty much.

-It makes it hard to put our kitchen table in a good spot, as we need clearance for the swing of the door.

I do prefer the look to French doors, but I just don't find them practical enough, at least for where ours is located.
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I couldn't pull up the last link. Is it a 50' modern house or more traditional? My vote would rest on what would go better with the house aesthetically. The consideration of what's inside the room is also important footprint-wise.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I like the look of french doors better. I have a sliding glass door in my living room, but we don't use that access to the deck/backyard that often. I do open it for a breeze sometimes.

In my ideal world, it would be replaced w/ french doors someday. But it isn't that big of a deal to me.

If we remodel and decide that we will be in this house for another 5+ years, I'd strongly consider french doors. If not, I'll live w/ the slider. It functions totally fine for us...I just couldn't justify the replacement purely for aesthetics immediately. There would be other things I'd opt to upgrade first, kwim?

If you *need* to replace it, I'd do french doors if you can afford it. If you can see other places where you'd rather apply the extra money it would take to upgrade, then I personally say skip the french doors and opt for a less expensive slider.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

-It's hard to have it opened just a little - it's all or nothing pretty much.

-It makes it hard to put our kitchen table in a good spot, as we need clearance for the swing of the door.
    I agree with this. I've had both. French doors look "nicer", but I think sliders in general are more practical. I certainly would not pay 30% more for them.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast