Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Ideal amount of square footage for a family of 5?

We're not making it here very well- in 1410sf. About 280sf/person. What do you find is comfortable, but not too big of a house to live in for the long term? House prices here are not crazy (comparably) but for our one (modest) income, they seem hard to swallow. For example, the very cheapest 4BR with 2400sf is $500K. Most are just around $1M, but there is NO WAY we will ever qualify for more than the $500K, if that.

I just want to know what is realistic for us to look at when the time comes, in terms of space.

happymomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think my house is close to 2000 square foot. We are a family of 4 and I find that this has been a great fit. We have a basement but honestly they don't like to use it. We are lucky that they have a playroom that they can play in that is upstairs. They like it upstairs right now. But I think when they were younger, they seemed to take more space. But now that they are 6 and 4, their toys are smaller so takes up less room.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We went from about 1800 sq ft to 2400 sq ft in our current rental. I think it will be an interesting test before we buy again. Oh, we had 3 beds, 2.5 baths before, and 4 beds, 2.5 baths in the current house.

On the pro side, we have a lot more storage space in some ways (more coat closets, more bathroom linen closet space, big medicine cabinets, etc things like that), but my 1800sq ft house had two big walk in pantries and this house just has one regular closet style one.

We have a garage and basement here vs. no garage and an attic in the NC house.

I love the floor plan of this house. A bigger kitchen than my old house (with small U shaped kitchen), but the traffic flow in the kitchen is *much* better. That makes a difference, kwim? We use the formal living/dining room (one big room separated by a step down from dining area to formal living room) as a big playroom/homeschool space. THat's on one side of the house. Then the kitchen, and then on the other side of the kitchen is a family room, half bath, laundry room, door to garage.

I think we could actually get by with a little less in terms of square feet *if* we had a similar layout. I'd be fine with shaving off a little bit more square footage to be honest, if I could preserve the floorplan.

On the not so fun side, it was much easier to clean our (not quite) 1800 sq foot house. This one feels a bit overwhelming in terms of surfaces that need cleaned at times. I just need to get into a new groove.

When we buy again in a few months, another consideration will be whether the space will work for our kids as they get older and turn to preteens/teens. That's when a little extra space would be really nice, so I think that's something to consider.

Not sure how much that helps but this has been fresh on our minds. I have three kids as you know, but only 2 are currently mobile LOL. Once DS2 is moving and grooving maybe I'll be wishing for more room
    Last edited by brittone2; 05-28-2010 at 10:04 AM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The last house we were in was about 2400 and while it was just 4 of us (sometimes 5 when my brother lived with us) it seemed to be a really good amount of space. I agree with the idea that layout is oftentimes more important than total square footage. That said, I really wouldn't want to stretch be in a house at the top of my price range. Do you have some flexibility about which neighborhood you can live in or perhaps a neighboring town that is less $$$ ?
    K

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think it is all about layout. I wouldn't need X sq. feet but I would want good sq. footage where it counts more to me. Like, I would be happy with a small but efficient kitchen. I don't need a kitchen with miles of counters and an island plus and eat in area...I am fine with a small kitchen and a dining room. 1800-2000 is, imo, a good amount of space for that size family. I'd rather have more space in common areas and small bedrooms. I'd also love good, accessible, easy to use outdoor areas.

Beth

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have about 2700 sq ft for 4 of us. We fit just fine in this sq ft but the layout of high traffic areas is poor (ie small kitchen and family room, large wasted living room). Our upstairs is perfect in my mind (4 beds and 1.5 baths upstairs) with the exception if we ever move/build I would love another bath (it would be nice but not necessary). We are thinking of a 3rd DC and we would certainly all fit but we would loose our guest room (ILs come often and stay over). I think layout is far more important that sq ft!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

our new house is just about 2400 and we'll soon be a family of four, and we have two dogs. I think it's perfect.........four bedrooms, 2.5 baths and an unfinished basement.

Two things to think about:....the layout of the house....and could you possibly put an addition on later to make things bigger?
    We got a steal with this house, but when we were house shopping we were looking at houses that could be expanded if needed (which we couldn't do with our bi-level)
    Our friends are thinking about doing this. They have a three bedroom, 1.5 bath house with nothing over the garage....so they're thinking about making a master suite over the garage to add another bedroom and full bath.
    We also have friends that were able to finish their basements and put a bedroom down there.

Good luck!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a 1400 sq ft. house that we fit in, but I only have one child. Imagining this house with two more wiggly little bodies and sticky fingers makes me nervous. When we moved from our 900 sq ft apt into this house with separate living and dining rooms and a 3rd bedroom, it felt huge. Now it feels small. We still fit in it fine, but it feels small. We only moved 6 months ago and we have not acquired any more large items of furniture or small tchotchke. I think you just expand to fill the space you have.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Do you have some flexibility about which neighborhood you can live in or perhaps a neighboring town that is less $$$ ?
    Nope. That's the issue. Neighborhing towns provide A LOT more value in terms of housing, but the schools here (where I taught) are the best I've ever seen, and I've been a part of a lot of systems in my lifetime. The way I felt and was treated as a teacher makes me want to keep my kids here forever. Probably will backfire for us, but every experience I had here teaching for 5 of my 13 years made an impact on me. That's the reason we've been hanging out in this place. Also, the school we're zoned for now is the one where MIL taught from when it opened until she retired and the one where I worked before going back to grad school. I just think that'll be fun for us.

Great points so far!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sounds like you want to stay where you are. Can you renovate?

We are a family of 4. Our house is 4,000 sq ft, including the finished basement (which we don't use). So, we use about 3,000 sq feet (plus heated garage, which has a lot of storage in it). I can't imagine less, though most families I know are definitely living in a LOT less space than us.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast