Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alien_host View Post
    There is a movie coming out....Legend of the Guardians.
    Just a FYI on this. DH worked on this movie and he said he would not take DS to see it. DS is 6 yo in a few months. DH thinks it's too dark for DS. He thought it should be more for 8-10 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    Owls were very popular in the mid-1970's... I remember many dresses and embrodiery things with owls, macrame owl deorations (my mom had several), stained glass owls, etc. Seriously, my mom doesn't care a... dare I say it?... doesn't care a hoot about decor, but I remember many owl-themed items in my house as a young child.
    Yes! I remember the owls in the 70's. Do you think mushrooms will come back also? I think I had a pair of shoes with mushrooms on them.

I think the new owl decor is really cute!
    Big Boy 2/04
    Little Boy 7/08

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MolieMuts View Post
    Yes! I remember the owls in the 70's. Do you think mushrooms will come back also? I think I had a pair of shoes with mushrooms on them.

I think the new owl decor is really cute!
    So funny you mention that. Someone gave my DD2 a sz 6 months outfit by Kicky Pants with mushrooms all over it! I was like, cute, but mushrooms on a baby outfit??? Thanks for the background - I don't think I remember mushrooms on clothing!

for Sandy Hook

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just a FYI on this. DH worked on this movie and he said he would not take DS to see it. DS is 6 yo in a few months. DH thinks it's too dark for DS. He thought it should be more for 8-10 year olds.
    Good to know. We are actually taking several kids to see this to celebrate older DD's birthday. But all the kids are 9 and 10. Older DD has read the first 6 or 7 books of the series it is based on, Kathryn Lasky's Guardians of Ga'hoole.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I love this dress from Target: http://www.target.com/Infant-Toddler...n&frombrowse=0

The owls are more noticeable IRL. I have also seen a lot of owls, but birds and forest-y stuff has been in style a lot lately, so I figured it was just the natural progression....interesting about the movie.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I really appreciate the heads up about this. It's frustrating to me that so many "kid" movies these days are dark and inappropriate for the targeted (marketed) age group. DS1 is very sensitive and we have only ever done a couple of movies (at home) but in theory.....
    K

Well it's a PG movie based on a popular series of books targeted at kids in grades 4-6. So I don't think it is inappropriate.

But OTOH, I don't really know if it is being marketed to younger kids.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I noticed the owls and birds and thought it might have to do with Twitter (the birds, anyway.) Seems like every few years there's a trend that's pervasive in kids' home design and clothes. When my daughter was a baby, it was all about cute edible things: cupcakes, ice cream, candy. Kind of glad to see that the new trend is about a "smart" animal instead of food!!
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Well it's a PG movie based on a popular series of books targeted at kids in grades 4-6. So I don't think it is inappropriate.

But OTOH, I don't really know if it is being marketed to younger kids.
    I think grade 4-6 is probably spot on. The problem is that so far the marketing isn't showing the darker parts of the story line. And there are dark parts. DH described it as Lord of the Rings but owls.

And as for who their market it towards - it depends on what audience they not being well received in. Eg. if it's not tracking well with mothers, they'll make TV spots that are more appealing to that audience. If it's not tracking well with boys, then they'll make something else. They actually make several TV spots with each being different to target a different audience.

We check all the movies we take DS to, as we know that what we're seeing in the marketing campaign is not the full story. Often we know someone who worked on a movie, so we can ask them, or we wait unitl it's out and check reviews. DS is pretty good in movies, but he can find dark parts too scary.

The problem is that so far the marketing isn't showing the darker parts of the story line. And there are dark parts. DH described it as Lord of the Rings but owls.
    Yes, based on the books, I think "LOTR with owls" is a good description. I think the trailer does a good job of indicating that there are dark elements to the plot.

I included a link to the movie trailer with the party invite so that parents could watch it. One child we invited decided it was too scary, so they are just coming to the pizza part of the party and not the movie part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast