Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Top Tether Anchor Retrofit?

I recall reading here that someone said that a retrofit top tether anchor only costs $10-15 to install in a Honda. I called my dealer, they want to charge me $75 for it! Honestly, I got the feeling that they didn't know what I was asking for. I spoke to three different people, had to repeat myself 2-3 times for each person, each one said that they don't know what that is and then handed me off to someone else.

I am hoping that someone here can help me out. Am I using the wrong terminology? Am I wrong about the price? Or am I getting ripped off?

TIA!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The part itself should be only $10-15 - the part number for all Hondas is 82410-SE3-C01, the name is "plate assembly" and the retail price as of two years ago was $13. The dealer was probably quoting you a standard labor rate for 1/2 hr of service to install them. It is usually a fairly simple DIY job, though.

The installation will vary by model, but usually you pop off a plastic button to reveal a predrilled hole. You screw the plate assembly in and tighten to the specified torque using a torque wrench. If you don't have a torque wrench, call around to auto parts stores to see if they will lend you one (AutoZone, Advance, etc. usually have loaner tools) and you can tighten it correctly in the parking lot. ETA: Post back your year, make and model and we can give you more details of what to do.

There is a separate plastic trim piece you can purchase to cover it and make it look nicer, but I found in our Ody that it just got knocked off. Might be better in a sedan, though.

ETA2: I got completely ripped off on our Subaru... $40 + parts to install ONE anchor... once I saw where they put them I installed the other two in less than 10 min myself.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    The part itself should be only $10-15 - the part number for all Hondas is 82410-SE3-C01, the name is "plate assembly" and the retail price as of two years ago was $13. The dealer was probably quoting you a standard labor rate for 1/2 hr of service to install them. It is usually a fairly simple DIY job, though.
    I bought one the other day for $16 and that included sales tax. My Dad is going to install it in his car. I would DIY on this one.

thanks! I need one for a 97 honda accord and a 97 honda civic.

Quote Originally Posted by salsah View Post
    thanks! I need one for a 97 honda accord and a 97 honda civic.
    If they are sedans, both of those should have three 8mm weld nuts in the rear filler panel (hatchback Civic would be on the back wall of the cargo area). What that means is that if you look in the trunk, up under the rear package shelf, you should see three nuts that are welded on the metal. I'm not sure if you will have plastic buttons on the inside of the car. If not, you have to make a small cut in the fabric to access them. The part number is the same as what I gave you - you will need one for each seating position where you want an anchor.

Should be plastic buttons (I tend to gaze into people's rear windows looking for top anchor usage, lol), unless there are speakers there, that can kind of block things up on the outboard positions sometimes :/.

Can I rep you for that post, O-mom? Super descriptive!
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

great thanks. i know that the civic has those little round plastic things and i think that the accord does too. although, iirc, the accord might only have it the center because the speakers take up all the space in the outboard positions -- which is fine since i only need it in the center for now.

should i order from the dealer directly or is the better place to order from?

I don't know if it is sold any place but the dealer, but just call the parts department with that part number. It really shouldn't be very expensive.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I paid $30 or less for mine and I had it done at my Honda dealership.

Beth

I called the dealer and they said that it will cost $14.62 plus tax. I found a website (hondapartsnow.com) that sells it for $7.82. Shipping for two of them is is $9 so it comes out cheaper than the dealer (especially if I don't need to pay taxes)!

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast