infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Instruction sheet for DH...

in case something happens to me. I'm talking death or a catastrophic injury where I can't communicate. We have Wills/Power of Attorney. I'm talking about all the other stuff...passwords/account info/where stuff is/details not in my Will about who should get what/phone numbers/funeral requests. I don't think this would be a long document but my mom recently gave me a packet such as this (as I am her executor) and I can't imagine trying to navigate everything without it.

Anything I shouldn't forget to put in?
    Last edited by infomama; 04-23-2012 at 10:29 PM.

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I will have to think on it, but what a great idea! I imagine that would be so helpful while trying to slowly piece life back together after something has happened. And what a comfort to dh and/or the kids to know that you were so carefully planning before hand.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I've seen it referred to as an Alien Abduction Notebook on a now defunct organizing forum I used to frequent. If aliens abducted you, your family would have all necessary information to carry on.

I've been meaning to do one for years. Maybe this summer I could get it done.

Here is what I just found to include:

Finally, my Alien Abduction Binder. It is a thin (1-inch) red binder, and lives in the front of our top file cabinet drawer.

It contains copies of:
    • Social Security Cards
    • Birth Certificates
    • Marriage License
    • Vehicle Titles
    • Deed to house, and home owner's insurance policy
    • Powers of Attorney
    • DH's Military Discharge papers
    • DH's divorce decree & property settlement

I also use the binder to file:
    • Annual Social Security Statements
    • Current Credit Reports
    • Fingerprint sheets for DS's

In the very front of the binder is a section called Instructions. It ...
    • Describes the binder's contents
    • Descirbes my household filing system
    • Describes my HomeNotebook and Bills & Budget Binder
    • Contains a list of where to locate original documents
    • Contains a list of ALL financial accounts (savings, retirement, etc.)
    • Contains a list & location for all insurance policies

Finally, the binder contains an Estate Planning Guide that I picked up from a funeral home. Ok, that's a bit morbid. Some of the information in it duplicates what I had already done, and I simply noted "see Red Binder," but it had forms to record things that weren't already in the binder.

As others have mentioned in other threads, this information is of little value if it is not updated periodically, so I try to do that once a year. Now's as good a time as any.

A note to newbies:

Don't feel as though this is a major project, or that you have to redo systems you already have in place. This binder can simply serve as a guide to important information that you already keep in your head - you don't have to reinvent the wheel, nor do you have to duplicate information that already has an effective home - just point to it.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I could see gathering the most important things, and then over time adding more to the notebook. You'll also need to keep it updated eg. open a new bank account.

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I've seen it referred to as an Alien Abduction Notebook on a now defunct organizing forum I used to frequent. If aliens abducted you, your family would have all necessary information to carry on.

I've been meaning to do one for years. Maybe this summer I could get it done.

Here is what I just found to include:
    Okay, this is perfect! I think we will work on starting one, but maybe making it a household notebook. Kind of a... how the house works, how to find things, and what to do... kind of thing. Maybe work on it jointly.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kep View Post
    Maybe work on it jointly.
    Yes....