Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It's awful, I cannot imagine. I heard some of the details today....they let their kids shower once a year and there was sexual abuse going on too. Horrible.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    This scares me too, that the grandparents are questioning it. I really hope the kids don't end up with any of their extended family because I don't know if their needs will be taken seriously.
    Agree with this. I learned later that many of the kids were actually adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's so disgusting and horrific! I also read lots of comments online with people speculating that the 2 year old is one of the daughters', since the mom is currently 49 years old. They said the 2 year old did not look to be abused. I actually hope that being so malnourished prevented the girls from ovulating. And only being allowed to bathe ONCE A YEAR! I can't even image! There has to be some severe mental health issues going on with the parents. And there was at least one count of sexual abuse of a minor under 14 years old and I'm sure more and more horrible details will be found out over the next several days/weeks.
    Last edited by essnce629; 01-19-2018 at 04:00 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Look at the ages of the older kids (all names starting with J). https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...n-they-n838026 They look so tiny.

I can't believe this happened. Sick, sick, sick. What a brave little 17 year old. She had to have been terrified.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I've read in a couple different articles that ALL of the children are the biological children of the parents. It didn't spell out "and not born to one of the victims" but I assume that is what they are trying to make clear.

How could none of the extended family find those creepy Facebook images worthy of some serious investigation? Someone who doesn't know the family wouldn't guess that many of them (6 or 7?) were ADULTS, but the aunt, uncles and grandparents knew - half of them were ADULTS???? Look at those pictures! That ain't right.

I read today another sister fled with the 17 year old, but got scared and turned back. Thank god the 17 year old didn't as well. I bet that first officer thought she was crazy, gah. Poor thing. Those poor officers too. What a horrific thing to see.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I really can't understand how no one alerted the authorities--there seems to be many relatives who had concerns for decades, and even neighbors who should have reported what they saw. Standing by and saying "none of my business" is not ok. There is nothing normal about seeing kids marching for hours, single file, each night--you see that, you call the police, not just keep watching this happen and stay silent. How terrified those children were to not seek help when out in public. I read the siblings planned the escape over 2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    Look at the ages of the older kids (all names starting with J). https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...n-they-n838026 They look so tiny.

I can't believe this happened. Sick, sick, sick. What a brave little 17 year old. She had to have been terrified.
    It looks like NBC has pulled the photo with the adult kids, but I did see it earlier when PP posted. It's weird because while they look small for their ages and thin, they didn't really look malnourished. I think it said it was taken late 2015? This is such a strange case! I don't know what to think of the extended members. Some say they didn't have contact, didn't know for sure where they lived, etc. But the mom's FB page seemed pretty active. (It's been taken down.) I remember there were tons of photos of her out and about with the baby, although I don't remember any with the older kids except for the vow renewals and Disney.

I also don't know what to think of some of those neighbors. Some neighbors said they noticed things that maybe were odd, but I don't know if I would have called the police. But the marching, that's weird.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

It reminds me of the story of the Girl in the Window, which was just updated a few month ago. http://www.tampabay.com/projects/girl-in-the-window/ Until I read that article, I had no idea the degree to which neglect can cause significant and unreversable cognitive deficiencies. It also makes you wonder how many abused children are living in the shadows because they have no contact with mandated reporters, like teachers or doctors.

Westwoodmom I read the articles you linked to...how profoundly sad that a parent could neglect their child to that degree and irreparably harm them. I give the Dad who adopted her so much credit for trying his best to overcome the horrible start to life the girl was given.

The Turpin case shows us that abuse can easily be hidden in plain sight even in this day of mandated reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmomtobe View Post
    Westwoodmom I read the articles you linked to...how profoundly sad that a parent could neglect their child to that degree and irreparably harm them. I give the Dad who adopted her so much credit for trying his best to overcome the horrible start to life the girl was given.

The Turpin case shows us that abuse can easily be hidden in plain sight even in this day of mandated reporters.
    An amazing series of articles isn’t it? Both uplifting and depressing at the same time, the power of a loving home and the limitations when it comes too late.

The Turbins had each other, so hopefully a little better off, but they had to also contend with abuse in addition to neglect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast