Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Alternatives to dyeing eggs for Easter?

Recently some undercover video has come from my state’s major egg supplier. It’s beyond horrific and I can no longer support anything to do with this industry. I have always gotten ‘free range’ eggs, but this supplier was producing for the ‘free range’ brand I bought. I no longer trust ‘free range’ labeling and I don’t want to give this producer a dime of my money. It was THAT bad. Ok, rant over.
    All of free range/organic eggs are brown. Obviously not good for dyeing. DD enjoys dyeing egg for Easter, but I am the only one that eats them. So ceramic is fine, since I will no longer be eating eggs. I found something called Eggnots, which would work, but they are expensive and not redyeable (is that a word?) Any other options out there? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Walmart has fake white eggs in cartons. I think they are a type of foam, not sure but they are not breakable. We used them last year - the colors came out more pastel but they were pretty and we can display them again this year.

One year we also bought a kit to dye egg shaped marshmallows.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If the egg situation is that bad, but DC is attached to dyeing eggs, why not look to the area around you for an ethical backyard farmer with extras to sell or share? You can see where the chickens are in that situation and judge for yourself if conditions are acceptable. We have been to the small family farm that sells eggs at our local farmers' market - I feel good about eggs from them.

ETA - There is nothing wrong with brown eggs for dyeing, though it does limit your colors. My favorite dyed egg *ever* was a dark brown egg that went into the red dye pot. Came out the most gorgeous, deep, intense paprika color. It could be a good experiment, esp if you manage to get mixed eggs of white, browns (light and dark) and blues/greens.
    Last edited by robinsmommy; 01-17-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Walmart has fake white eggs in cartons. I think they are a type of foam, not sure but they are not breakable. We used them last year - the colors came out more pastel but they were pretty and we can display them again this year.

One year we also bought a kit to dye egg shaped marshmallows.
    Did you just use regular egg dye?

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Did you just use regular egg dye?

Yes. We used the little tablets that come with cups. And if you aren’t using real eggs I think you have to use vinegar for the color to stick. It says in the carton.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    If the egg situation is that bad, but DC is attached to dyeing eggs, why not look to the area around you for an ethical backyard farmer with extras to sell or share? You can see where the chickens are in that situation and judge for yourself if conditions are acceptable. We have been to the small family farm that sells eggs at our local farmers' market - I feel good about eggs from them.

ETA - There is nothing wrong with brown eggs for dyeing, though it does limit your colors. My favorite dyed egg *ever* was a dark brown egg that went into the red dye pot. Came out the most gorgeous, deep, intense paprika color. It could be a good experiment, esp if you manage to get mixed eggs of white, browns (light and dark) and blues/greens.
    I am currently looking for a local egg supplier. No one in the family eats hard boiled eggs, just me. And eating 12 of them is too much, so I am fine with fake eggs for Easter egg dyeing.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Go luck on both efforts then! If you have a local grocery coop or natural grocery, those might be worth looking into for egg supplier names.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Alternatives to dyeing eggs for Easter?

My DS has a severe egg allergy so we've never dyed real eggs. We've used eggnots and they were ok but didn't take the dye as well as real eggs. The other thing we've done several times is decorate white wood eggs available from Michaels. I've never tried them in dye, but we've decorated them over the years with paint, stickers, markers, glitter, jewels, etc... kids had plenty of fun and I've saved the eggs over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We paint wooden eggs from JoAnns or Michaels.

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Maybe consider ditching the egg dying altogether and making egg-shaped sugar cookies instead and decorating those? You could use different colored frosting and sprinkles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast