Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Stainless steel lunch box inserts that seperate food and don't leak?

I love the look of the planetbox lunchboxes but I'm darned if I'm buying another lunchbox! We have the Garnet Hill insulated lunchbox that came free with 5 yr old DDs backpack, and she loves it. What I'm looking for are recommendations for easy to use stainless steel inserts for the lunchbox to store dry and wet food. Here are some options I'm considering - if you have any of these, please let me know how you like them!

Thermos food jar: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    (seems heavy, and I'd still need additional inserts for dry food)

Lunchbots Duo: http://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Duo-...4255286&sr=8-2
    (looks great for non-wet food - is it easy for a 5 yr old to open and close?)

Lunchbox leak-proof round container: http://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Stai...4255373&sr=8-8

Kids Konserve leakproof containers, set of 3: http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Konserve-...ref=pd_sim_k_2

Other options or a case for planetbox would be appreciated! I had hoped the PB would fit in the GH lunchbag, but another poster said it wouldn't so I'm not going there...

for Sandy Hook

We have the lunchbots duo. It has been fine for things like pita chips on one side and hummus on the other. Haven't tried it with true liquids. DS has been able to open it with no problems since he was in K, but it is a bit harder, IMO, than some of his other containers.

Catherine

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Some of my lunchbots are even hard for me to open, and some are much easier. Take a look at the dippers on the planetbox site. They are much easier to open than the lunchbots. They also don't leak at all for things like yogurt, hummos and ketchup.

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS had two of the Lunchbots pico containers (yellow lid), they were very easy to open. We are down to one now, since DS lost one last year. But, I like using it to pack his snack for after school care in it. It fits nicely in the front pocket of his backpack. And, it enables me to pack it separate from his lunchbox and keep the snack from being eaten at the wrong time or crushed beyond recognition.

We have some small Lunchbots? containers for nuts and hummus. Not those leakproof ones. Those leak proof ones might be a newer product. Our small Lunchbots round containers open easily as well. I think all the containers you are looking at are good containers. The lunchbots will probally not be big enough to pack a whole lunch in. You would likely need to use more than one container. You can get the Duo divided one and the Uno and subdivide the container with silicone cupcake baking cups. I also really like the stainless Thermos hot food jars for hot food. I don't think the planet box dippers are leakproof unless they are packed and compressed shut in the Planetbox lunch box.

Of course, this is all coming from someone who just broke down and bought a complete Planetbox lunch set. My plan is to use planetbox for most of DS cold lunches and send Hot Lunches or lunches that wouldn't work well in the Planetbox in his old LL Bean Critter lunch box.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wimama View Post
    Of course, this is all coming from someone who just broke down and bought a complete Planetbox lunch set. My plan is to use planetbox for most of DS cold lunches and send Hot Lunches or lunches that wouldn't work well in the Planetbox in his old LL Bean Critter lunch box.
    You know, I suspect this is going to be me as well! I really wonder if it would fit in her insulated lunch pack (http://www.garnethill.com/garnet-hil...rue&strategy=6) so I don't have to buy the PB sleeve...

I'll consider Lunch Bots too...

for Sandy Hook

You might be able to squeeze the Planetbox in there but it looks like the bag narrows down on top, so I don't know. I would still order the Planetbox bag just in case, if you order a Planetbox.

I do really like the Lunchbots Pico tin for snacks. We usually fill with two different things like dried fruit and then more of a treat on the other side.

And, I caved on the Planetbox after all the talk on here about it. I already know we really like bento style lunchboxes. I had resisted buying it because they were so pricey. But, I had a PBK code I used to order from it from PBK. Between the code and the free shipping I couldn't resist.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    You know, I suspect this is going to be me as well! I really wonder if it would fit in her insulated lunch pack (http://www.garnethill.com/garnet-hil...rue&strategy=6) so I don't have to buy the PB sleeve...

I'll consider Lunch Bots too...
    I soo want it to fit in the Lands End Study Haul lunch bag but it's an 1.5" too small depth wise (8" for the LE vs. 9.5" for the Planetbox). DD1's teacher talked about using reusable stuff for lunches this year so now I am interested in getting a few more things for lunch and it would be soo cool if I got the Planet Box, but I'd also hate it if it got lost.

I know it's not stainless but they are BPA free, Gerber Bunches of Bowls work great for yogurt, applesauce, and hummus. We used them the last two years with no leaks.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I soo want it to fit in the Lands End Study Haul lunch bag but it's an 1.5" too small depth wise (8" for the LE vs. 9.5" for the Planetbox). DD1's teacher talked about using reusable stuff for lunches this year so now I am interested in getting a few more things for lunch and it would be soo cool if I got the Planet Box, but I'd also hate it if it got lost.

I know it's not stainless but they are BPA free, Gerber Bunches of Bowls work great for yogurt, applesauce, and hummus. We used them the last two years with no leaks.
    From my experience with our and from what I have read that it is harder for the kids to lose something as big as a Planetbox container. They don't need to even take it out of their lunchbox to eat. It is the smaller containers that they are more likely to lose. Like our poor Lunchbots, that disappeared and never made it to lost and found despite labels on the lid and bottom.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

My 5 year old DD is able to open the lunch bots. I haven't used them for anything liquidy, only sandwiches, fruit, muffins, pirate booty.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

toby is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I have been really happy with the ECOlunchbox Oval containers. DS has some fine motor issues and they are both really easy to open. Sandwich goes in large one and snack or other dry stuff in the other. I wouldn't use these for wet.
    http://www.ecolunchboxes.com/product.html

I have heard good things (on this board) about the Thermos FooGo containers. I got one for DS to have soup or chocolate milk, but we haven't used it yet.

Compared to other things that we have used, I think that Lunchbots are kind of a pain to open and close.

The other containers that you linked to look good but I don't have any experience with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast