Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use it for texting family in India, so I can see why they asked you to use it. All of our India based relatives use it for texting as it's free!

I would not hesitate one bit..
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I started using it when I went home to Canada, same reason as everyone else, I had my phone on airplane mode most of the time. It's easy and I hated always having to use message system within Facebook.

I use it all the time to text with my friend in Singapore. I like that it has a group message option, so the four of us friends from high school can keep in touch across large distances.
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use Whatsapp and prefer it over regular texting. It is very user-friendly and convenient to use.

It has like 600 million users.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyols...-founder-says/
    Last edited by MMMommy; 08-26-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

yeah I use it with other people who use it (and don't have gmail) so that I don't use up my 1000 texts allowance. At the time that I installed it (maybe 5 months ago?) it was free for the first year and 99 cents for the next. It works just fine.

Most everyone else I know has gmail and so use that chat function, or I don't text with very often.

I don't use Whatsupp but I use Viber for international calls and texting. It is free, but you need smartphone and Wifi.

I thought it would be a great solution for DD who has an iPod but not an iPhone. It's not supported on iPod or iPad.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I use it too - friends in Brazil and India are most into it, so I think it's partly a regional thing. It's pretty convenient (and free).

for Sandy Hook

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    I thought it would be a great solution for DD who has an iPod but not an iPhone. It's not supported on iPod or iPad.
    I was surprised it doesn't work on the iPad too.
    Also, one thing to be aware of with texting apps for kids- some can be easy to join anonymously and I have a friend whose teenage daughter was cyber bullied this way. It was horrible for their family! They did finally catch and prosecute the person who was sending the horrible anonymous texts but it was not a quick and easy thing to figure out. Just something to keep in mind with kids and text apps.
    As mentioned above though, I use WhatsApp and I really like it for communicating with that group of family members.
    DD
    DS

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    My daughter also has a iPod Touch. We have Androids, so, no iMessage.

We use Google Voice, works GREAT. I was scared of the bad reviews, but I guess just iUsers not liking Google? I don't know. I had tried a number of different texting apps before Google Voice b/c of the bad reviews, they were all terrible!! Google Voice works super well on her Touch, no weirdness, no anonymous "friends", etc. You can't even send pix. She can use Gmail to do that, if she wants. I got her her own Gmail account, but I see EVERYTHING on my phone/computer, so that's nice too.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...318698524?mt=8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast