Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When can baby go jogging?

We have a BOB Ironman and our son is 7 months, 19 lbs.....at what age can he go jogging on a paved trail with us? Keep in mind, I am a very sloooowwwww jogger, hubby a little more normal! :-)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DH and I (former marathoners and DH is an Ironman) took the girls when they were 12m, per our dr's recommendation.

I would ask your dr.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I think this is a subject that is up for much debate. I have read anywhere from 6m-12m and seen people doing it with 6weeks old and younger. I have read things about it being fine as young as you want if you have the carseat adaptor and others saying the exact opposite. I would talk to your doctor about your concerns and also think practically about your situation (speed, trails, stroller, etc.). I am about an 8-9 minute/mile runner and took my son out for the first time in my Ironman at 8 months. We were on nicely paved trails. The ride was rougher than I was comfortable with and I decided to wait a while.

Thumbs down

Ugh, I just don't get why anyone would risk "Shaken Baby Syndrome" with their little one. I mean, it's their BRAIN you're talking about! As far as I know, you only get one. Better to wait a bit and be safe, rather than sorry.
    Strollerqueen

MCsMom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have always heard jogging ONLY after a year old.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had DD in a jogger with an infant insert and pretty full recline at three weeks, but did not start jogging with her until she was 8 mos when I did 5K. Friends of ours have a Bob Revolution with the car seat adaptor and used that at probably 6 mos. . Even with a car seat adaptor (our stroller didn't have that option) I still would've waited longer to full on run with an infant.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I think I ran at 6 or 8 months, whatever the BOB time frame was, stated in the manual. I was walking fast on a completely smooth, paved trail (not even a bump or curb), and upped it to a light jog - there was no difference between the fast walk and my very, very slow jog at that point. I didn't run more than a few minutes at a time for a while, and didn't do any serious running for a while after that when I started marathon training again.

I was jogging w/ea kid when they were 3 mos. I am *very* slow - the amount of jostling they experienced was no greater than what they experience riding in the car each and every day. I run on paved surfaces w/air tires.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm with strollerqueen and Bubbaray here. I would wait until DC is at least 12 months and has been cleared by the ped. I would not want to risk such a severe injury.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

So, even if the baby is in an infant seat attached to a jogging stroller, it's not recommended? I was taking a mommy stroller fitness class and was planning to start it back up again when the baby was 2 mo old (using the infant carseat carrier in my P&T), but if it's not safe I won't do it. A lot of moms in our stroller class start back as soon as their ob gives them to ok to exercise again...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast