Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Please help- stroller advice- jogging stroller for runner and tall parents?

Hi there-
    I have settled on two strollers that I like- the Baby Jogger City Classic and the Maclaren Techno XLR. I am leaning toward the techno as an everyday stroller.

Here's the problem-
    My MIL is moving down to become our nanny for about 8 months (from the time I go back to work when baby is 8-16 months old.) She is an avid runner/jogger and does 5-10 miles every day. Suburban sidewalk running, mostly. I would like to get her a stroller as well for this purpose but I would also like to use it so it needs to be tall enough for us.

I really don't want to spend a fortune as this will only be used for a short amount of time and for us very occasionally.

Any stroller that fits the bill? Our craigslist kind of stinks so it looks like we may have to buy new. I would like something under $300, preferrably under $200 as this will not be the primary stroller.

Thank you!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Check with your pediatrician, but I don't think that you are supposed to run with baby until after they are a year old. Since that cuts down the time that the stroller would be used even further, it may influence your purchase decision.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

with an infant carseat attachment I think that running is ok. I've run with my son (with the infant carseat attached), since he was 4ishmo.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

ask your pediatrician. The recommendation I've heard is not before 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    with an infant carseat attachment I think that running is ok. I've run with my son (with the infant carseat attached), since he was 4ishmo.
    There is no stroller manufacturer on the planet who says it is OK to run with a car seat attachment, at any age. Many jogging companies resisted coming out with car seat attachments, for this very reason (that people would get confused and think it was OK.) Heck, many wouldn't even do a recline for this reason. They eventually caved to market pressures. But they insisted to me that people knew better than to actually run with an infant, because they run the risk of "Shaken Baby Syndrome." Personally, I don't feel they make this warning clear enough to people. So there are two issues here. Never, ever run with a car seat attachment. It makes the stroller very unstable and tippy. And anyway, a baby small enough to be in an infant seat is too small for running. Secondly, check with your Dr., but many prefer you wait until your baby is a year to run. You are talking about a potential brain injury. As far as I know, they only have one. Why risk it.
    Strollerqueen

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Car seats are for cars, not strollers.

Whoever invented "travel systems" should be shot.

Unless advised differently by a dr, its not safe to jog or run with a baby in any stroller -- whether or not a car seat or other infant insert is used.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

yes, no running that young and ESPECIALLY not with a car seat in there, it's not completely secure at all! it could fly out if you hit a bump! i think light jogging is probally ok around 9 months or so but why risk it? stick to fast walking and have someone watch the baby while you jog...

ok. I was told it was 6 months by American Pediatric Society. So, 8 months is fine in our book.
    Last edited by pinkflamingo; 11-03-2009 at 08:18 AM.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh yikes, I was told (just by a friend though) that it was ok. We've done it almost daily for quite a while. I'll have to inform that parent, and also ask my pediatrician. My son is now almost 8 months, so I'll have to look into it a little more.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    Agree with other posters that one should not jog with a baby until they are AT LEAST A YEAR OLD.
    Last edited by arivecchi; 11-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast