Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Second umbrella/travel stroller?

OK, so I've sort of-almost-maybe finally convinced DH that we need a second single stroller for our trip to Disney next month. We have a Mac Triumph that we took with us when we went a few years ago with toddler-aged DD1, and it was worth every single penny we paid for it then and still.

That said, there's no way he'll agree to spending another $150+ on a second Triumph (can't seem to find any older models or any used on craigslist) for just a week-long trip. So I figured since DD1 is heavier, we'll put her in the Triumph, and get a less expensive but still decent quality stroller for DD2 (18 months/25-ish pounds). I've seen a couple - Combi, Chicco, etc. - that are in the $50-$75 range, but they all get incredibly mixed reviews.

We absolutely need an easy fold, carry strap, light weight and a reasonable sun canopy. It doesn't need a snack tray or cupholders. A small amount of recline would be nice, but DD2 rarely naps in a stroller and when she does she manages to do it without being reclined. DH is 6' tall, but I'm only 5'1", so it's not the end of the world if it's not great for taller parents. Basically I'm looking for something that costs $75 or less that's good for: airport travel, quick on-and-off Disney transportation and hauling an average-sized toddler around relatively even ground. (I'm probably asking the impossible.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I really like my Graco Ipo. It has a handle to carry it with but no strap. Other than that, my 2 yo tall boy fits in it fine, it's easy to fold, and it has a reasonable sun canopy (not great). Its wheels are also bigger than those of a Mac, which I like about it.

we LOVE our chicco c6. It's not as easy to steer as the mac, but IMO it has a smoother ride than the triumph, as it has bigger wheels and a suspension system (which at first I thought was kinda dorky, but it really does help!) We got ours for about 50 with a coupon at BRU. IT has a decent canopy. The recline on it will be similar to your triumph. Not nearly as tippy as the mac. Folding it one handed is easy, but locking it is kind of a pain, you'll need two hands for that.
    -Tess

DD1 4/07

DD2 1/09

DS1 2/12

Running in with a 2009 BOB Duallie Revolution in Navy

Running faster with a 2011 BOB Single Revolution in Plum

Sporting my 2010 Bugaboo Bee+ in Sage, definitely my guilty pleasure

Shopping with a 2010 Black BJCMD

Cruising in an 07 Acura MDX with a Britax Boulvard, Radian, and Graco Snugride all in a row!

The Ipo wasn't on my list just because it seems pretty heavy - 17 pounds? Which is more than I can comfortably carry while toting a baby on my hip too. But it does look like a nice stroller!

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

The Chicco c6 was the one that caught my eye. It does have a lot of good reviews on Amazon, but the bad ones are *really* bad. I'm hoping I can see it IRL at Buy Buy Baby or BRU sometime next week. Thanks for the very helpful comparison to the Triumph!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

You may want to check out babies r us if there is one nearby. They are having 30% off their clearance stuff. I had found a 20% off one item coupon in the paper and managed to snag a triumph for $89 (it would have been $110 without the coupon). They had quite a few clearance umbrella strollers (including macs and I believe an Amy Coe that was about $30). I haven't seen another 20% off coupon in the paper, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ran another one for New Year's since the sale seems to go through the 2nd.
    My friend has the Chicco and really likes it - looked at that too and had the Triumph not been $89, probably would have gotten that one instead. Those were $80 (none on clearance at the BRUS we were shopping)
    Not sure if that helps you or not...

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

if you love your mac and don't need a recline, why not get a volo? with coupons or cashback you might be able to snag one at a reasonable price.

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

here is a volo for $70 shipped. or $64 if you go thru bing for 8% cash back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Volo-Ca...item414b8ccfb9

Thanks! That does look like a good deal. I do think we want at least a tiny bit of recline, though, which is why the Volo wasn't on my list.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

OK, so we tried out a Chicco c6 at Buy Buy Baby tonight...I thought the handling and general feel of the stroller was great! But. The folding/locking mechanism was awful. I couldn't use that little locking clip to save my life, DH had to do it. I can't see that working for us.

We also tried out the Inglesina Swift, and I may very well be in love. It reclines better than the Triumph, has a bigger basket, a storage pocket on the back of the canopy, and has a very smiliar one handed fold that automatically locks. With a 20% off coupon it would work out to just under $100, which is more than I'd planned to spend, but DH was even impressed enough with it to consider it. Off to research more...

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast