Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default **UPDATED**Comparison of some Umbrella Strollers - PICS!

UPDATE:

Okay I hit 2 Babies R Us's, Babies 1st Furniture, and USA Baby stores today just to stroller browse. I found different things at different stores. And I have to say that Babies R Us's selection of strollers is getting better and better (at least for in store selections!!).

I had my petite almost 5 year old (5 in March) with me. She's ~41inches tall and a whopping 33ish pounds fully clothed. She wasn't nearly as good a model as my baby, but she's 5.

With all the strollers I have seen, played with, strolled around...for my needs as an occasional quick trip stroller with a recline, used for travel, and smaller footprint, I have decided that the Triumph meets all of the needs. I also took into account the strollers that my 5 year old said were comfortable, and not so comfortable. So now I will be stalking that for a good deal. She liked the Triumph and the Quest the best.

I am creating a second Comarison album...it will be uploaded in a bit.

OKAY FINALLY!!! Here is the new album! Sorry it took so long...my computer kept dropping internet and being sllloooowwww. The first link is of the comparison from yesterday.

UMBRELLA COMPARISON
    Here are pictures of them all: https://picasaweb.google.com/llhafer...fy_5PQwd3wwgE#

UMBRELLA COMPARISON PART II
    https://picasaweb.google.com/llhafer...23569937056018
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kep just posted some pics of the Onyx vs the Triumph, and I will post what I took today as well.

I was able to compare the Volo, Triumph, Quest, Onyx, G-Luxe, Presto and Cadence strollers today at a local baby shop. I am glad I have such an awesome baby, because I lugged her from one stroller to another, strolled her around, reclined them, sat them up, folded them, carried them on my shoulder, everything for about 2 hours. She was a trooper! I tried to take as many photos as I could, and I got about 50 shots.

Background: I have a BJCM as my mainstay stroller. The Maclaren Volo pictured is mine, but I am wanting something with a recline, and a bit more padding so my baby doesn't slouch as much. I want something with a recline for when my baby has fallen asleep in the car. The Volo is fine in a pinch, but I never got it for her - I originally got it for my 4 year old.

Here are my thoughts on each stroller:
    Maclaren Volo: Fine for an older child (preschool and up), super easy push, very lightweight and perfect for traveling, tippy, meh canopy, lacking in the basket area, nice handle height, the wheels touch the canopy and can get it dirty. No recline which can make it difficult to sleep in.

Maclaren Triumph: Better for younger babies (6 months and up), fabulous push, lightweight, perfect for traveling, somewhat tippy, meh canopy, firmer back, has some recline which would work for a sleeping older baby, nice handle height, canopy touches the wheels. The recline mechanism was hard to figure out, but once I figured it out it was okay.

Maclaren Quest: Great for younger babies, has a nice leg extender, nicely padded, takes 2 hands to recline the back. Tippiness is about the same as the Triumph.

Uppababy G-luxe: super easy push, seat back was nice and straight, good recline, cushiony seat, good sized canopy, the standing fold was nice if you need that but I don't think I would use that feature, it was nice that it had a cup holder, it had higher hand bars than the Maclarens, and the stroller was longer in general. To fold it requires 2 hands, but the actual folding of the stroller was really easy.

Onyx: I was really hoping to like this one. But I liked it the least of the Maclaren and the Uppababy (suprisingly, since I thought I wasn't a huge fan of any of those!). It's a good stroller, just more than I need I think. Good cushion seats, great canopy. I didn't care for the plasticy handles, and the stroller just felt large to me. I didn't test out the Ruby since it's features are just like the Volo. The onyx felt quite heavy compared to the others as well. The push was okay, but the Maclarens and Uppababy were way better. It's a good decent stroller, and I could see it being an only stroller for some. But since I have a BJCM, I just don't need this much of a stroller in my fleet.

Aprica Presto: I didn't fold this one. The seat is quite high allowing the baby to see out very well. The seat seems to have a permanent recline which would bug a lot of babies I know. The seats are very cushiony and soft. The stroller itself felt a little cumbersome and heavy, which you could feel in the steering, but it had a good push (not as good as Maclaren, but I think weight had to do with this). Great canopy. The harness would be a serious PITA, as it's like Graco harnesses where you have to puzzle in the shoulder strap and then snap it in. High handles.

Aprica Cadence: I didn't mess with this one too much as it was WAY too much stroller for what I was looking for. VERY cushiony padding, good canopy, but the PResto's was better. Very reclined seat in the upright position. Quite heavy to push. Felt very long when I pushed it along. Nice high handles - great for taller parents
    Last edited by lhafer; 02-15-2011 at 07:20 PM.

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow I cannot believe your LO did all that what a trooper! These comparison pics are awesome. THANK YOU so much for all this work.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

lhafer, thank you so much for this AWESOME comparison!!! I love umbrella strollers, and have been wavering back and forth about getting a new one to replace my ancient Quest, but don't live anywhere even remotely near a store where you can look at anything other than Cosco, Graco, & Evenflo. This comparison you put together ROCKS!!!

You are the best! (So is DD) Thanks so much!!! So, which one is it going to be?? I think she looked most comfy in the quest, but I know they are pricey...

Thanks. They also had Quinny, Mountain Buggy, Teutonia, Baby Jogger, Phil and Teds, and several others that I can't recall at the moment. The only one they didn't have was the Britax Blink or Nimble. I would have liked to see those. If I get a chance tomorrow, I will go to another store that I know has those and I will add those pics.

So far, for me and my needs, it's coming down to the Triumph and the G-Luxe. Which ever I happen to find a better deal on will probably be the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaof3 View Post
    You are the best! (So is DD) Thanks so much!!! So, which one is it going to be?? I think she looked most comfy in the quest, but I know they are pricey...
    The quest was the first one we tried. That's why the huge smiles!! You can see I whipped out the snack trap by the end! I really liked the Quest a lot, but think I could settle for a Triumph. Just depends on where I can steal a deal. Really liked the G-Luxe a lot as well.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Very impressive analysis! Your DD is a cutie pie!
    I am impressed with the G-luxe, having never seen one IRL - great canopy & larger wheels than the Triumph - & love the standing fold!

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This makes the G-Luxe look really attractive in my mind!
    DD
    DS

You didn't find the G-luxe to be kind of rickety and cheap feeling? I haven't given the newest model a close look, but was really disappointed when I pushed the older one in store. It just feels kind of cheap to me in comparison to the Maclarens. Maybe it just has a more wobbly structure and I like something more solid. Maybe I'll have to give it another look. I do love that standing fold, but have read that it often breaks, especially if you use the stroller for travel (airline checks).

And I have got to say, that red Triumph is GORGEOUS. Wow. Love it.

Thanks for the comparison and pics. Very cool.

Oh, by the way, I got a chance to check out the B-nimble quickly yesterday. My first impression is that the steering is probably better (more nimble!) than the Blink. The wheels are not as chunky and turning seemed easier (but I only pushed it empty). Also, the handles were nicer. But I didn't feel like the improvements warranted the difference in price between that and a Blink, especially because the fabrics and padding didn't seem better. I don't know if it weighs less. The Blink is pretty heavy at 16.5 lbs.

Awesome job, what a cute little girl you have! I'm amazed she let you do all that LOL, my DD would never have lasted.. The Uppababy looks best in comparison, IMO.
    My miracle girl 04.09.2009

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast