Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    geophne is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Evenflo Maestro vs SecureKid 300 for new travel seat

I am in need of a new travel/backup carseat for DD1 who is 3-1/2 yo and about 36" and 40lbs. We have been using a Scenera but she has outgrown that seat. I looked here for advice and was planning on getting a maestro, but have now seen some posts about the securekid that make that seem like a good option too. I know it is relatively new, but does anyone know where I can get more info about the dimensions and weight of the securekid? I know it is built on the same form as the maestro so I am guessing there is not too much difference, but I am interested in having the lightest and smallest seat possible for travel purposes. I would like to make sure it lasts her for the rest of her carseat days though.

Thanks for your help!
    Mom to:
    the Doodler 9/08
    the Panda 12/11

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The main difference in longevity between the maestro and securekid is that the securekid will last longer as a booster because of the adjustable headrest - the harness is the same height. If she's only 36" though she should have tons and tons of time in the harness. The securekid harness is rated for 65lbs vs 50lb of the maestro, so I'd double check the growth charts to make sure she won't hit 50 lbs before she's old enough to be boostered, but if that will be long enough, definitely go with the maestro. Since this is a secondary seat and you don't really need the extra cush of the securekid, the maestro + turbobooster high back later will be the same cost or less as a securekid and be the lightest and easiest to transport.

This thread has some great pics and comparison to the maestro.
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=210696

emschwar is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know anything about the securekid, but we just got a maestro as a carpool seat for our 4 year old, and I love it! I'm actually surprised at how nice it is, because I'm a die-hard britax girl. It's nice and light, and easy to install. DS loves the cupholders too.
    #1 - 4/2004
    #2 - 9/2007

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just bought a Maesto for a travel seat (using a frontier at home). It was very light and easy to install, both on the plane and in the car we're traveling in at our destination.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd go maestro for a travel seat. I'd consider the other one if it were to be used as the primary seat.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

geophne is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I appreciate all the feedback and info. I'll be on the lookout for a deal on a Maestro. I know I just missed some being clearanced at Target, but if anyone knows of some other deals I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
    Mom to:
    the Doodler 9/08
    the Panda 12/11

Dont know how much of a deal it was but i just picked up a maestro for $64 at BRU using a %20 coupon the cashier had.

thanks everyone- adding this info to High Back booster List (sticky)
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast