Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Used Breast Pump discussion....LONG

I came across some info that I didn't know about breast pumps and was curious what others think about this. My mom and DH don't think this is a big deal, but I am a little torn about it.

My understanding about breast pumps was that the "better" pumps could be used by multiple users if the tubing and pump parts were replaced. I assumed this because the hospital pumps can be sanitized and re-used with individual's pump sets at the hospital.

I bought a used Medela Pump In Style before the girls were born. I ended up renting a hospital grade pump and using it almost exclusively. I think I used the Medela only a couple times. I then lent it to my BFF who probably also only used it a handful of times. This week when I had to pump for the "breastmilk jaundice" I used it after cleaning all the pump parts and it still works GREAT.

Then I read about "closed" v. "open" pump systems and I started getting nervous that I should not keep this pump or even use the milk I pumped for the 36 hours this week, since it has been used by multiple people. Here is the info if you haven't read about this: http://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/ope...umps_a/147.htm

The thing I don't get about this, is that IF milk really enters the motor or whatever, I wouldn't want to keep using it, whether it is MY milk or someone else's...you know???

My pump is excellent and works great but I'm feeling nervous about using it again. WDYT? WWYD?

I am not going to be working or anything so I am thinking about pumping maybe once a day at the most just to keep the little guy used to a bottle here and there. I had thought about pumping and trying to donate a little milk but not sure if that will happen logistically.

Should I just buy a manual pump? This one has excellent reviews (I'm somewhat skeptical...it's so cheap!). We really can't afford a new electric pump. I suppose if I could look for a deal, I might be able to afford one of the cheaper ones, but it seems frustrating to take a step down in quality since we certainly won't be able to get something comparable to the MPIS, ykwim?

Reading that link I thought "what language was this translated from"? I don't understand what they're talking about. What barrier is lacking. I've heard before about not buying a used BP, but I think it is BS. I don't see how the milk can suck in particles from the air, or suck it into the mechanism. I used the Medela Freestyle, and I just don't see how it's possible. If milk got into the mechanism I think it would clog, short, or otherwise not function.

ETA: also, nowhere on their site that I find do they have a list of "open" or "closed" systems. Other than the photo next to their definition, I don't see anything indicating if PIS is open or closed.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 05-06-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Did you see the disclaimer at the end? The person who wrote it is a consultant for Ameda, who gee, claims to manufacture a "safe" pump. It says she wasn't when she wrote the article two months earlier, but I call BS.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes, I've heard that distinction before, and the advice not to get used pumps. Like Twinfoxes, I am deeply skeptical; it just seems bizarre to me that any milk would get into your pump's motor, not have an effect on the motor functioning, and then somehow exit the motor and get into your newly pumped milk. Anyways, if that were a possibility, I frankly wouldn't care WHOSE milk it was, I wouldn't want it cycling back into my newly pumped milk, and I would consider that to be a serious safety hazard for that pump, worthy of recall. If someone can demonstrate/document that happening with any breastpump currently on the market, I think that would be a pretty major news-worthy manufacturing issue.

My only qualms with buying a used pump would be how much it had been used, since the motors don't seem to last all that long, but in your case that's obviously not an issue.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you would know if there was milk in the mechanism- there would be milk backing up the tubing. At least that is my understanding. It doesn't just magically appear there. The major reason not to buy a used Medela pump (IMHO) is because it voids the warranty. I've also heard from people who use Ameda pumps, that the motor tends to die sooner than with Medelas. I will be replacing my Freestyle for my upcoming baby, but it's probably just paranoia on my part. My pump was in my house during the flood and all the experts who were there said that the air was toxic. I figured if they're paying me for it, I should just be safe and ditch it.

Also many retailers are going out of their way to not recommend Medela products because they violate the WHO breastfeeding code (or something) because of the way they market their bottles and such. That doesn't make the pump less good.
    Last edited by swissair81; 05-06-2012 at 11:37 AM.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In that scenario I would definitely still use it and not worry at all. I used a Medela PISA after my SIL had used it for 4 months. (She weaned right before going back to work.)
    I really don't know enough about mechanical things or the way bacteria would get in or whatever, but SIL also seemed to think that there really wasn't a way for the milk to get back into the pump.
    It does seem like some milk could get sucked back in through the long tubes but I really am not sure. Regardless though, I was not grossed out by her milk and even if some somehow got in there....it didn't seem that different than if it was my own milk.
    Last edited by elektra; 05-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    DD
    DS

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used a Freestyle as well and I don't see how this theory it could happen in real life. I would have totally used a pump from a friend or family designed like the freestyle with new tubing. Theoretically anything is possible, but how likely and would it still work after all this clogging?

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've heard this too. IMO, if the pump was used by someone you know ( who doesn't have any seriously communicable diseases), I wouldn't worry about it at all. I had both the ameda and medela, and liked them both, but found the Ameda easier to use since the tubing/pumping mechanism is hermetically sealed and i didn't have to clean the tubing. I didn't reAd the link, but I think they're talking anout microscopic particles of milk getting into the pump via the tubing. So, theoretically, if their were infectous organisms in the mother's milk, it would get into the pump. But, again, i wouldn't worry about it if I knew the previous user. Also, aren't medela hosp grade pumps sealed? No way I'd get a manual pump as a replacement. Much harder to pump.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify, I'm not worried about BFF but the original owner that I bought it from 6 years ago (I got it from a consignment sale)....it seems crazy to worry about though at this point. I'm still not completely sure about this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast