PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Bras

birdie75
12-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Can anyone suggest brick & mortar locations to try on nursing bras? I get really frustrated mailing things back and forth after ordering online. In my area we have Nordstroms, Macy's, Lord & Taylor and also discounters like Target, Kohls, Penny's, Sears, etc. I tried on bras at Motherhood and they were all junk, no support and not a lot of lycra.

I was a 40D pre-pregancy, I usually wear a minimizer bra and at 34 weeks I am a little fuller but still wearing my regular bras, I could probably go to a 42C instead of using the last clasp on my bra but haven't really needed to yet. I am looking for full support. Also if anyone could guess what size I would need that would be great.

Thanks,

nfowife
12-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I would recommend NOT investing a lot of $$ in top notch nursing bras right now because there really is no way to know what your "nursing" size will be until around 4-6 weeks after you deliver. I definitely recommend getting some good quality bras at that time (I LOVE my Anita underwires!!!). Until then, I would recommend getting something that will fit you in a variety of sizes, either the bravado originals or the yes! bras:
Bravado: http://www.bravadodesigns.com/home.asp?area=US

Yes! : http://stores.ebay.com/breastfeedingisbestforall

The yes are less expensive and the designs of the 2 are very very similar. Get 2 to have on hand (in case one is in the wash, you can wear the other). Take care and best of luck with getting nursing off to a great start!

ThreeofUs
12-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Okay, so you said B&M. But I just have to get in a quick suggestion: Lands' End. I tried every bra in the world on my aching, swollen breasts and they all were junk or irritating or both except for my LE's.

Lands' End bras were wonderful. Cotton or nylon, underwire or not, well-designed, very supportive without binding. Better than the bras I bought during pregnancy in Paris, which is a compliment indeed.

I was a D cup at the end of my pregnancy and didn't change a lot from that size, but always felt like more room was much preferable to none, given the size changes my breasts went through as I nursed my son. I tossed the other nursing bras I had bought, and stuck with my LE comfies.

Once you know your size a little better, maybe then you could venture online?

birdie75
12-04-2007, 11:25 AM
So would Sears have the Lands End bras since Sears owns Lands End? I didn't see them at the online site for Lands End.

nfowife
12-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I think LE stopped carrying maternity clothing and nursing bras. If you go to each manufacturer's website (ie bravado) you should be able to find local stores that carry them.

salsah
12-05-2007, 06:32 PM
check with your local hospitals. i couldn't find my size at any local b&m until i tried the hospital stores. there are a couple of hospitals in my area with stores specializing an pre- and post- natal supplies including bras. There you can get measured and fitted by a lactation consultant who can also give you advice on what to expect in terms of your size changing (to help plan when to buy). They usually have a good selection of better bras for you to try on.
HTH!

tylersmama
12-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I agree, check with your local hospitals, or a LC or LLL. Most areas have some sort of specialty bra store. It may be named/look like a post-mastectomy specialty store, but those stores often carry nursing bras as well and have the expertise to help you get fit properly. Once you know what size you will need and what style you like, you can always look online to find better prices. If you can't find a store like that in your area, I would recommend going to Nordstrom to get fit. They do carry some nursing bras, although I don't know how wide of a selection they have, but the most important thing is that they really know what they're doing when it comes to bra-fitting.

I will also add a vote for the Bravado/Yes bras. The Bravado was the bra I slept in, wore around the house, and exercised in. It's a lot like a sports bra, but with snaps for nursing access. Very comfortable and fits size ranges so it can see you through your initial engorgement period until you get to the size you will be.

ETA: I was also large chested during pregnancy/nursing: 36D during pregnancy and 38F(!) for the first 10 or 11 months of nursing. SO happy to be down to a 32D now (still nursing, but I lost a lot of weight and boob with it)!

ThreeofUs
12-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I should have checked first. When LE was acquired by Sears, it must have stopped carrying maternity bras. Sorry!

I think LE stopped carrying maternity clothing and nursing bras. If you go to each manufacturer's website (ie bravado) you should be able to find local stores that carry them.

NerdyArtist
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Gap! Gap! Gap!

I am a 42D and recently purchased 2 nursing bras from Gap.com. Some babyGap stores will carry limited maternity/nursing gear, but I have been in LOVE with the two I got from the Gap.

Not only that, but they were the best price I found on any. They also allow you to return to the store if you'd like. AND! They do supply a return mailing label if you want to return to the site.

Viva La Gap!

tnrnchick74
12-18-2007, 12:45 PM
I just bought a couple of nursing/maternity bras at Target since I recently outgrew my "normal" bras. I was surprised at the quality and support. I got the underwire lacy ones...but will get non-underwire closer to delivery. They were only $15 each!

I'm not huge - 34 C...so I have no idea what they have in the larger sizes. They washed up nicely too. It wouldn't hurt to try them!

erosenst
12-18-2007, 01:25 PM
At a friend's suggestion, I went to Penney's and bought a couple of Playtex nursing bras. NOT pretty, but lots of support and easy clasps...and a GREAT price ($14?) After a couple of months, when I had more-or-less stabilized for a while, I went to Nordstrom's and got some Wacoal ones that I loved. (Not cheap - but comfortable and looked ok under real clothes.) Mommy brain has set in - but pretty sure I was a 40D or 40DD. I know a lot of people like other bras, especially the Bravado - but they weren't at all comfortable for me.

Also, once you find one you like at a B&M store, check eBay. There are a surprising number of new, or close to new, nursing bras there at much lower prices.

HTH -

Emily