PDA

View Full Version : Fashion books by Project Runway authors

KBecks
12-04-2007, 10:35 AM
So I recently checked out two fashion books from the library, Nina Garcia's book, I think it's the Black Book of Style and Tim Gunn's book, Guide to Quality Taste and Style.

It was fun to read both. I spent a little more time with Nina's book over Thanksgiving. Her book is great, and it has beautiful, gorgeous illustrations. The only thing is that she does think that high heels should be worn nearly all the time, OK, she's a fashion leader in NY and I'm a stay at home mom in Wisconsin and I'm not about to go get a pair of Jimmy Choos just because. It was still a great book though and I also loved the quotes. She's right about buying with passion. If I had more time and more money and more interest I'd probably be spending more time in botiques and having a lot of fun with it. I love Nina (and I love how Heidi says her name, Nina Garcia), and I enjoyed the book even if my application of her ideas is still going to have me looking very much like a SAHM.

Tim Gunn's book is more practical and I appreciate that so much. I read it after Nina's book and I enjoyed Nina's book but I think it stole the thunder of Tim's book because there is a lot of repeat.

They are both funny, which I very much appreciated and they both don't take fashion too seriously.

Good reads, both!

I should add that although I will not be getting Jimmy Choos (although it would be something to try a pair on), I may take another look at ballet flats, which I hate, but they both recommend. I still think they are impractical, especially given Wisconsin weather. I like socks, I need socks!

NerdyArtist
12-04-2007, 11:04 PM
I love PR and didn't know that ninahgarciafashiondirectoratellemagazine (i love the way heidi says it too!) had a book out! I'm going to look for it right away!

I do love my ballet flats. It took me a long time to warm up to them, but now that I enjoy the look of them, I want tons of them!

If you enjoy a sometimes snarky read and recap of PR, check out http://projectrungay.blogspot.com LOVE IT!