PDA

View Full Version : Tea Sets

K-Bear
12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Does anyone have a children's tea set they would recommend? I'm looking for one with all the goodies, plus it must come with a basket so I can store everything!

I saw one by Schylling (sp.?) that looked nice - nice basket, little cups, saucers, dishes, etc. but it was porcelain. Wouldn't that break easily? Or is the porcelain used in children's tea sets somehow more sturdy?

annasmom
12-04-2007, 06:31 PM
This is the one we have:

http://www.amazon.com/Schylling-CTTS-Childrens-Tin-Tea/dp/B000FOTAS4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1196804043&sr=1-5

I think it is great - it has taken a lot of abuse and still looks great. It is very light weight, so it can be carried from room to room (VERY important because tea parties can take place anywhere!)

We also have a wooden set - which I really don't like that much. I think it is M&D. It is heavy, so when things drop it is very loud, and can hurt little toes. Also the saucers have come apart.

We are still light years away from a porcelein set!

overcome
12-05-2007, 01:16 AM
My friend got DD a porcelain tea set. I thought "oh this will be okay, we have carpet in our house (won't fall and break) and I'm around when DD is playing".

When DD was getting it out to play with last week, it fell, one piece landed on another and broke, DD picked it up and cut her finger. I'm talking blood dripping all over the carpet. And I was right there with her but it all happened so fast.

I wouldn't recommend a porcelain set! Another friend bought her the Fisher Price Musical :rolleyes: set for Christmas...don't know if I'm going to like it, but I guess as long as dd likes it, it will be okay.

citymama
12-05-2007, 02:53 AM
We also have a Schylling tin tea set - the Bugs one:
http://www.amazon.com/Schylling-Summer-Bug-Tin-Tea/dp/B000OA83UU

It's really cute and perfect for our 20 month old. I can't imagine porcelain either! Be aware though that this tea set is teeny-tiny - we like it a lot, and it's perfect for a doll's tea party, but not really for 3-4 year olds to have a pretend tea party. Although I'm not a plastic toy person, the European-made kitchen set from Lakeshore Learning is great: http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|productSubCat~~p|LA427~~f|/Assortments/Lakeshore/ShopByCategory/dramaticplay/houseplay.jsp

and includes an entire kitchen's worth of supplies! At $29.95, it's a great deal - we might get one at some point as well.

annasmom
12-05-2007, 08:43 AM
I agree with CityMama, the Schylling sets are really small. I remember being kind of shocked when I opened the package. But it really hasn't stopped my 4 and 3 y.o.s from using the set for themselves. I fill the pot with water, and off they go to ruin my floors!!

Twoboos
12-05-2007, 09:44 AM
DD1 got the metal PBK one for her 2nd bday and it's still in good shape through many parties.

I just checked online and now it's an all pink set! DDs is 4 pastel colors, which apparently wasn't girlie enough (and apparently boys don't drink tea!).

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/srch/index.cfm?words=tea

they also have a puffy fabric one, which certainly won't break.

brittone2
12-05-2007, 11:13 AM
We have a Schylling porcelain set, but DS didn't get it until about a year ago (he's almost 4). We also do real drinking glasses starting around one year of age, so we're okay with that.

My concern now is that Schylling has had several lead paint related recalls on other products. I also remember reading one consumer group tested a tea set that came back w/ elevated lead levels, but they never mentioned the manufacturer (that I found when reading initially anyway). So now I"m kind of concerned about that tea set.

We're getting ready to switch our own regular dinnerware over to Fiestaware. I might just get the kids some "real" little espresso cups and a creamer pitcher for a tea set down the road. DS had one of those little enameled espresso cups (REI, etc. sell them) but it rusted really quickly and the enamel started chipping early on.