PDA

View Full Version : Handprint Trivets

gogofans
12-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I went to the local pottery painting place yesterday, and she was out of tile trivets. I went home and thought, why pay $5 each I could do them for less. So I started searching on-line...
Bought 6x6 white tiles at Lowes for $.42 each
Bought bottle of paint at Michaels (was told by the lady I needed to pick an acrylic with an E on top, not with other paints) $1.99

This weekend will be the test! Will write on them with a Sharpie marker with names/ages, and will put felt pads on the back.

Easy holiday gift. Personally frustrated that I spent so much for the ones #1 made, but live and learn!

danagee
12-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Please update us on how the project works out. I love hand and foot print things like that.

Jen841
12-17-2007, 09:41 PM
For less than $5 I made 12 trivets... opps, add another $4 for cork pads for the bottoms. Still, $9 DEAL and so cute. Much less stressful to do at home than at a store full of breakable items.

Wife_and_mommy
12-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks so much for sharing this idea!! It's probably too late to do for Xmas but I'll keep it in mind for Valentine's or another holiday.

Glad it worked so well for you. What a deal!

Jen841
02-18-2008, 08:58 PM
DS had so much fun with our christmas edition, that he wanted to do Valentine's Day and St Patricks Day. We did the same thing using the E paint, and sponge stamps and a stencil.

bnme
04-02-2008, 02:17 PM
What is the 'E' paint. I am going to butterfly handprints with the kids as grandma gifts for mothers day. Did you seal it with a spray or anything? ANd just the plain basic ceramic tiles from lowes?

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jen841
04-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Supplies....
Tiles 6x6 at Lowes forty something cents
'E' paint- At Michaels and ACMoore away from the other paints, at JoAnne's by the other paint. Has an 'E' on the top, you can bake it on the ceramic. Around $2 a bottle
Sponge type stamps if you want them
Fingers/hands/paint brushes

For hands/feet I put paint on a paper plate, dip their hand, make as many prints as needed, stick hand/foot in bucket of water and towel off.

For infants, have them in an exersaucer, less mess : )

So much fun. My 4 yr old is having fun doing the stamps, and I enjoy the seasonal tiles.

I stamp, bake and enjoy... no other sealant.

Have fun! If you find any clever sources for handprint crafts I am always game for new ideas. I figure I have until Christmas to make these.

AngelaS
04-04-2008, 08:38 PM
We did this in our homeschool group and they look GREAT!

infomama
04-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Is that paint safe to use on baby's (7 months) hands?

Jen841
04-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I used it, my kids seem fine : )

hint, for little ones, feet seem easier than hands

danagee
04-25-2008, 10:18 PM
How do you know the baking instrux (what temp & how long)? Is it on the E paint bottle?
Can the sharpee ink be baked too?
Thanks,
Dana

mytwoboys
05-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I just did these today with both boys. They loved it and it was really easy. The "E" paint is enamel paint. And yes, on the bottle it tells you how to bake it.

melonkelli
05-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks so much! Grandmas are going to be so pleased!