PDA

View Full Version : cruise advice needed

lil_acorn
12-05-2007, 10:49 AM
hello ladies,
I am hoping you can give me some good advice. I am planning a cruise for next year, but am not sure which room to get. This is my first cruise and I have no idea if myself or the two kids (will be 4 and 1 at the time) will be prone to motion sickness. I have picked Disney - even though it costs a fortune everyone says it is worth it.

I have decided to go with an ocean view but without the veranda (and cross my fingers for an upgrade!). My options are on deck 2 and deck 5

Deck 2 is obviously low on the boat and is where all the other rooms are- the entire deck is all staterooms. they have a room in the center, which they say is better for stability and less rocking. Cons is that I'd need to take the elevator all the time to get to activities

Deck 5 is where my 4 year olds club would be. Only the ends of the ship have staterooms so the room that's available would be near the front of the ship. Pros is that I'd be closer to all the activities, con is boat rocking?

I guess I'm not sure how much these ships rock. If minimal, I guess I'd rather not deal with waiting for elevators.

If anyone has been on a cruise and can offer advice, it would be greatly apprcciated!

thanks!

Bean606
12-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I haven't been on Disney cruises, but I have been on a lot of cruises. I generally like to be a little higher up in the boat, so I would pick Deck 5. I am of the opinion that if you are prone to motion sickness (like my mom), it is going to be a problem no matter where you are in the ship, but these days they construct the ships pretty well to minimize the rocking. If you hit a storm, you could be in for some rough patches, though. They do make little arm bands and patches you can put behind your ears to deal with motion sickness. They are not medicated, they work with some sort of magnet thing. They sell them in drugstores, so you could check them out if you are concerned. We LOVE cruising, and it is a great way to travel with kids, because once you are on board, you don't have to carry luggage here and there, and there are tons of activities for all ages. We have traveled with both a verandah and no verandah. Having the verandah is nicer, but it isn't essential. There are plenty of outdoor spaces elsewhere on the ship. Have a great time!

Tondi G
12-05-2007, 09:02 PM
If you aren't sure about yourself then I would go in and see your doctor and get a prescription for the patch. They look like dot bandaids and you put them behind your ear I think. They are supposed to work wonderfully but only available with a prescription! My SIL just took a cruise for her honeymoon and she is super sensitive.... she get motion sickness in the car. She was fine till the last couple of days when they were headed home and the water was a little rougher and they were moving faster. She tried to get the patch before she left thinking she could just buy it from a drug store but found out it was by prescription. It hasn't deterred her though... she said she'll just make sure she gets the Rx before her next cruise!

For the kids there is a brand that some people over on Cruise Critic were talking about that they liked better than Dramamine.

Bonine, they make a childrens formula!

Good luck and have a great cruise!