PDA

View Full Version : Good Book - Guerrilla Learning

KBecks
12-05-2007, 10:49 AM
I wanted to share this book that I'm enjoying:

Guerrilla Learning - How to give your kids a real education with or without school, by Grace LLewellyn and Amy Silver.

This book gets into how parents can be active participants in creating an educational environment and educational experiences for their kids. It talks about school options too, but has a very positive attitude about parents' role as primary educators of their kids and creating opportunities for education as a family regardless of what type of school a family chooses.

A lot of it is common sense, but it's very well organized with specific ideas for facilitating learning in all disciplines. I think this will be a good reference for us, espeically as the kids get to be closer to school age. It's helping me to think about the specifics of education, learning and all the subjects, which I have not given a lot of thought to since I was in school myself.

I read that Grace LLewellyn is also author of the Teeenage Liberation Handbook and I have heard mixed reviews of that book (I read that she advocates freedom to experiment with alcohol and drugs!), so I was concerned this book may be pretty out there for me, but it has been great and there's nothing I have found controversial. I plan to check out the Teenage Liberation Handbook from the library just to see for myself what it's about.

Anyway, I do love this book, Guerrilla Learning and thought I'd share.

brittone2
12-05-2007, 11:25 AM
nak-
haven't read it yet. Thanks for the recommendation. I've skimmed the Teenage Liberation Handbook but had to return it to the library before I got to dig into it at all. This book sounds like something I'd enjoy!!

KBecks
12-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm just thankful I have lots and lots of time before I need to read books about the teenage years. I like to plan ahead though!