PDA

View Full Version : Age-Old Question...best price on Stokke seat?

jess
12-05-2007, 02:34 PM
I've finally decided to (maybe) take the plunge and get my son a Stokke seat for Christmas...does anyone have a lead on what the best price may be? Thanks so much!! :)

pastrygirl
12-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I want one, too! I entered a drawing for a free one... but I didn't win. :( I would love to find a deal!

caleymama
12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
No help on a Stokke since it's been a while since we've shopped from ours (got both from Babycenter.com, btw). I'd suggest checking out the HippoSmile chairs on eBay, though. They're nearly identical and very reasonably priced. Seller is hipposmile85. My SIL liked our Stokke seats and wanted 2 for her kids and ended up with two of the HippoSmile seats a few months ago. As far as I know she's been happy with them. I know she was happy initially and haven't heard anything about them since so I'm assuming no news is good news!

vludmilla
12-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi,
I got my Stokke seat for Christmas last year so I don't know if this deal is still good but I hope it is.
Try the website www.safebeginnings.com and use the coupon code HPW (use all capitals) and you might get 20% off. I also got free shipping at the time so it was easily the best deal. Also, I didn't use the baby rail or the cushion much at all so I would consider buying it without first to see if you really need it.
Good luck.
-Victoria

jess
12-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Hi,
I got my Stokke seat for Christmas last year so I don't know if this deal is still good but I hope it is.
Try the website www.safebeginnings.com and use the coupon code HPW (use all capitals) and you might get 20% off. I also got free shipping at the time so it was easily the best deal. Also, I didn't use the baby rail or the cushion much at all so I would consider buying it without first to see if you really need it.
Good luck.
-Victoria

I just tried the code--it accepts it, but the discount does not come off the Stokke chairs, to they must be exempt from the deal...what a great price, though, that you got! I'll keep looking....BTW--are you happy with your Stokke chair?

Thanks!

kcimato
12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Don't know if this will help you or not. Great Beginnings in MD has the older KZ on sale in their store for $159. It does not appear to be online. You could try calling the store and seeing if they would send you one of the sale seats.

www.greatbeginningsonline.com

I recently bought a Keyfit Car Seat from them and wanted it sent to my new grandson due in Feb. They did not have it online but did send it free from the store. Worth a try.

brittone2
12-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Jess-DS is almost 4 and has been using his KZ since he was 16ish months I think. We have a Kettler Tipp Topp chair that is the same idea (has side rails and a tray though) for DD. I wanted a KZ for her eventually but there was a great deal on Amazon for the Tipp Topp so we went with that. I am probably going to sell that one off and buy her a KZ eventually. The finish is easier to clean on the KZ. Honestly, the KZ was one of our best-ever purchases and DS shows no sign of being ready to give his up anytime soon! It still looks great even after a lot of use for the past 2.5 years or so.

I'm not sure about the details on the HippoSmile, but I remember some people having issues w/ the chair in the past. Pieces not fitting together right, etc. I think in some cases they were able to get the problem taken care of with new pieces, but I don't think everyone was happy with the quality. Maybe there are fewer problems now, but you might want to research before buying.

No idea who has the best price right now, but I'll be watching this thread since we're considering picking one up for DD to replace our Kettler chair.

pastrygirl
12-06-2007, 05:21 PM
I decided against the Hipposmile after reading this blog entry from daddytypes: http://daddytypes.com/2007/09/17/hipposmile_highchair_ballsout_sinocanadian_stokkek nockoff.php

caleymama
12-06-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure about the details on the HippoSmile, but I remember some people having issues w/ the chair in the past. Pieces not fitting together right, etc. I think in some cases they were able to get the problem taken care of with new pieces, but I don't think everyone was happy with the quality. Maybe there are fewer problems now, but you might want to research before buying.

Good to know. I didn't research it that thoroughly, since one of our KZs is 4 years old now and the other is almost 2 years old. I also haven't seen the HippoSmile seats in person to compare since SIL is several states away and we haven't visited recently.

Livingincomfort.com has the Tripp Trapp for $199.90 with free shipping and you can use the code SAVE10 for $10 off an order over $150 (the site actually has a link to click on the item page that lists coupon codes!).

Babycenter has Tripp Trapps for $199.95 with free shipping (code: FREESHIP49)and 5% back through ebates. I also saw a code for 10% off $50 - $15% off $150 - 20% off $250, but I don't know when it expires or if it would offset the free shipping from the other code: OFFER51525.

mom2lm
12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I just got the lime green tripp trapp from Great Beginnings. 10% off code GBBABY works and makes the total $179.10. There was no tax or shipping.

I have a hipposmile chair from last year and they are absolutely identical, except for the buckles. When I assembled the hipposmile, there was one piece that didn't seem to fit perfectly in the cut out hole, but once I tightened it up, everything was just fine. Other than that, both chairs are here at my kitchen table, and there's no difference between them.

I actually hate the tripp trapp buckles, they are so bulky, the shoulder straps are useless, and everybody always asks me how they work when trying to put my little one in the chair. The hipposmile buckles are identical to the kinderzeat (the old model that was replaced by tripp trapp), and are simple waist straps. Plus the hipposmile came with free cushions. If you email them, you can request a scratched chair and get more money off - but it's not all that much cheaper because of the outrageous shipping.

Sorry, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on which is better. Just thought I'd chime in since I have one of each.

-Amy

txmomtobe
12-06-2007, 08:31 PM
I just called great beginnings and they said they didn't have any kinderzeats. :(

vludmilla
12-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Sorry you can't get the discount to work for you.

I love my Stokke seat for many reasons. I was able to use it with a small baby (preemie) without nearly as many problems as all of the relatively gigantic plastic high chairs. As a small baby she fits much better in her Stokke than all of the various plastic high chairs we've had occasion to use. I think we'll be able to keep using it for many years because of the way it adapts. It looks cool, gets lots of compliments and takes up less space in my kitchen. My daughter eats at the table (no snack tray needed) and I think she likes that. Frankly, besides price, I can't see any reason to get a plastic high chair.

Radosti
12-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I wrote this review a while ago and DS still loves his Tripp Trapp. I bought it for $150 when an ergonomic store decided to no longer carry children's items.
http://www0.epinions.com/review/Stokke_Tripp_Trapp_Walnut/content_345755127428

lkprich
12-07-2007, 02:43 AM
I looked at both the Stokke and the Hipposmile. I originally purchased a Tripp Trapp and returned it because I hated the shoulder straps and the bulky apparatus they were on - they kept falling down and my DD hated them. I thought you could unhook the shoulder straps - but there was no way to do that. I subsequently ordered a kinderzeat ( with free shipping and a discount because people were phasing it out) and am much happier with it. I have 3 friends who have subsequently purchased the Hipposmile and were very happy with it. All in all, if you couldn't get the Kinderzeat I would prefer the Hipposmile to the Tripp Trapp because of the strap system.

Laura

jess
12-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Thank you all for your feedback!! My guy is almost 21 months, so no worries about him being too small/young for the seat. He has a regular highchair and hates it--it's gotten to the point where he almost refuses to eat if he's in it (pulling it up to the table doesn't work either), so I know that I have to get something, and I know that this is the type of chair I want...It's just investing the $$....

Again, thanks so much--I really appreiciate all your comments! :)

Dancerella
12-08-2007, 01:26 AM
I bit the bullet and bought the Tripp Trapp for my 25 month old daughter locally at a children's boutique. I was hesitant to order a pricey item w/expensive shipping online in case we hated it or something was wrong with it. Well, all I can say is the Princess now has her own throne!! She love, love, loved it from the second it was assembled :14: . Yes, the harness system is kind of lousy and overkill for an older toddler, but she can put it on all by herself so it works out fine. This chair is just fabulous and now that she sits right at the big table, we can do all kinds of art projects easier in addition to eating. Worth every penny of the almost 200 bucks I shelled out! It also looks oh so stylish and is easy to clean.

Good luck finding a good price. Sometimes I see used ones on Craigs List but I'm never fast enough to snap them up.