PDA

View Full Version : Leapfrog leapter, Vtech or other for 28mo. DD

colegiala
12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
My sister wants to get my 28mo. old DD an educational toy for xmas. She's not sure which one. The LeapFrog Leapster L-Max Learning Game System, the regular leapfrog, Vtech or other. I would like something that the games for it don't become obsolete so soon and then you have to upgrade. Something that don't need the tv hooked up exclusively to use it. Which one is better all around and what's the best place to get it? Amazon?
Thanks for you help in advance,
Gaby

HallsofVA
12-05-2007, 09:57 PM
What about My First LeapPad? We bought the Bus version for DS when he was approaching 2, but he really didn't get that into it until he was about 2 1/2. He's almost 4 and still uses it though he's approaching Leapster age and interest (mainly because he sees the older boys using them.)

MMMommy
12-06-2007, 12:43 AM
I would probably go with the Leapster L-Max or regular Leapster. DD1 and DD2 had the My First Leappad and the Little Touch Leappad, but both never got into it. We are giving DD1 (4 in January) the L-Max for her birthday, and I think she will really enjoy it. I think it will also have longevity for her as she grows older. Your DD might be a little young for the L-Max or Leapster right now, but my guess is that it is something she can definitely grow into.

The cheapest price I've seen for the L-Max (aside from the special Kohls deal that may have ended and has been mentioned in prior threads) is for $67.49 at the Leapfrog website.

http://www.leapfrog.com/en/families/leapster/leapster_learning0/lmaxgirl.html

The Leapfrog site also says that orders of $50 or more are shipped free. We bought our pink L-Max from Amazon.com last month for $69.99 (no tax, free shipping), but the price has gone up since. The regular Leapster is already $59.99 normally. Having said that, a lot of moms like the regular Leapster b/c they never end up using the tv component anyways. But if you want to have the option of using the tv component, I would get the L-Max. You can still use the L-Max like a normal Leapster AND have the benefit of the tv plug-in.

Can't wait until DD1 opens it up for her birthday and starts using it! I've heard great things about Leapsters and the L-Max systems.