PDA

View Full Version : what to get an 8 year old boy?!

nicknack
12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Anyone have ideas? I went to a local bank where they have a giving tree in the hopes of finding a 4-5 year old boy. That way, I would know what to get and I could also bring DS along and have him have the experience of wanting what we bought but realizing it was going to someone less fortunate.

Anyway, the youngest one that was left was an 8 year old. They were allowed to request one thing and he asked for puzzles. Easy enough. But, obviously I'll get more, so do you have any suggestions? My guess is that he is maybe more into games, etc...if he wanted puzzles, but I need help here!

Oh and in total, I probably don't want to spend much more then 40/50.

TIA!
Nicole

fivi2
12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
My nephews are 8 and 10. They like legos (especially Star Wars Legos) and books. The older one will put together model airplanes and cars. They are getting into strategy type board games with cool figures (I don't know any names, I think they found them at a comic shop or something). Oh and RC (remote control) stuff is usually a hit.

Hope someone else has some good ideas!

thomma
12-05-2007, 10:27 PM
I teach 7/8 year olds and Legos are always a hit!

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

bubbaray
12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Legos, Transformers and Spiderman....

Ravensberger makes great puzzles.

shishamo
12-07-2007, 12:55 AM
He told me all he want for christmas (and birthday) is a lego set.

If you want to give him a game, I would recommend Blokus or Gobblet. This is also the age they can start to really enjoy chess!

redhookmom
12-07-2007, 05:39 PM
My 8 year old loves Zoobs, chess, Blokus, Playmobil, Hot Wheels, and despite my best efforts - Pokeman cards.

Lucy

jenmcadams
12-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Check out some of the ThinkFun (same company that makes Zingo) games for older kids and adults. My DD (and a lot of adults in our family) really loves Rush Hour. We bought her the Rush Hour Jr. set and the advanced cards are plenty hard for the Caltech PhD in Physics DH (he would tell you that of course always solves them, but they take a few minutes) -- point being that the Rush Hour Jr. set would probably be appropriate for a puzzle loving 8 year old.