PDA

View Full Version : The UTI that won't go away? Mama Docs?

Marisa6826
12-05-2007, 10:04 PM
I was pretty sure I had a UTI on Saturday. Went to the On Call office at my medical group and saw the PA on duty. They confirmed it with a urine dip. Prescribed me Bactrim DS. I went and filled it straight away, even taking a dose before leaving the counter at Target's Pharmacy.

I got a call from the doctor's office on Monday morning saying they got the culture back and that they needed to switch me over to Cipro because the particular whatever wouldn't respond to Bactrim (not to mention I wasn't feeling better at all).

I picked up the Cipro on Tuesday morning (with the OK from the doctor's office - they knew I couldnt get it Monday night). I took the Bactrim Monday 8:30am, and the Cipro about 12:30pm upon the instruction of the Pharmacist. By about 6pm, my face got all itchy and looked like I have prickly heat, kinda swollen.

At first I thought it might have been from having it somewhat buried in my Christmas tree (it kept falling over, and I had to upright it). But since the inflammation didn't go away, oh four hours after getting away from the tree, I called the after hours number, where they told to take Benadryl. The doctor on call said that if I have taken Cipro before, it was probably the tree. I took the Cipro again Tues night, again this (Wed) morning. I still kind of had the swollen itchies.

Now, I just finished decorating the tree, my flanks hurt, my face is swollen and itchy and I feel like I still have the damn UTI. Do I really need to drag myself to the ER? I don't know what else they could possibly do. I'm not running a fever (yet). I've had a kidney infection before and it's definitely not to that point (yet). Oh, and the Cipro dosage is as 500mg, which according to the covering doctor last night, is a double dosage.

Any suggestions? And yes, I'm drinking lots of water and cranberry juice.

I've also taken AZO a few times. Boy, I could have some fun with that stuff if I felt like peeing in the snow.

BTW, I should mention that I'm allergic to penicillin and erythromycin. ;)

-m

bubbaray
12-05-2007, 11:21 PM
um, not a doc, but swelling of the face while on antibiotics isn't a good thing. This is from drugs.com, no idea if they are reliable info, but I'd probably call the pharmacy and maybe head to the ER or at least an urgent care or after-hours dr.

What are the possible side effects of Cipro?
• Stop using Cipro and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
• Stop using Cipro and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
· seizure (black-out or convulsions);
· confusion, hallucinations, depression, or thoughts of hurting yourself or others;
· sudden pain or swelling near your joints (especially in your arm or ankle);
· nausea, stomach pain, low fever, lost appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
· diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
· urinating more or less than usual;
· numbness, tingling, or unusual pain anywhere in your body; or
· chest pain, pounding or fast heartbeats.
• Other less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:
· nausea, vomiting;
· dizziness or drowsiness;
· blurred vision;
· sleep problems (insomnia);
· joint stiffness or muscle pain; or
· increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

jerigirl
12-06-2007, 02:18 AM
I am not a doc either, but your symptoms definitely sound like a drug reaction. It could possibly be the Bactrim. I was prescribed Bactrim several years ago for a UTI and broke out in itchy hives all over and my face, hands and feet began to swell. I was then prescribed Zyrtec to counter act those symptoms. I have also learned from personal experience just because you have taken an antibiotic without a reaction previously doesn't mean that you won't have a reaction in the future. So it could be the Cipro. Again I am not a doctor, but I would definitely consider not taking anymore medication until you are checked out. Just to rule out the cause of the symptoms.

dr mom
12-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Sounds like a drug reaction to me; I'd stop the Cipro. It would be helpful to know the urine culture results - if the bacteria is susceptible to nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin or Macrobid) that may be a good treatment alternative, and it is unrelated to Cipro, sulfa (Bactrim), penicillin or erythromycin.

Depending on the severity of your penicillin allergy (throat swelling up vs having a mild rash once as an infant) you might also be a candidate for a cephalosporin - a single injection of Rocephin in the office (under supervision, possibly pre-loading with Benadryl if the allergy is in question) would completely knock out a susceptible infection.

You don't need an ER trip (and a six-hour wait to be seen) but you do need to call your doctor, mama!

Marisa6826
12-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Sounds like a drug reaction to me; I'd stop the Cipro. It would be helpful to know the urine culture results - if the bacteria is susceptible to nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin or Macrobid) that may be a good treatment alternative, and it is unrelated to Cipro, sulfa (Bactrim), penicillin or erythromycin.

Depending on the severity of your penicillin allergy (throat swelling up vs having a mild rash once as an infant) you might also be a candidate for a cephalosporin - a single injection of Rocephin in the office (under supervision, possibly pre-loading with Benadryl if the allergy is in question) would completely knock out a susceptible infection.

You don't need an ER trip (and a six-hour wait to be seen) but you do need to call your doctor, mama!

Thanks, Cindy.

It's still not gotten better. I called again yesterday and they've prescribed me Macrobid. I'm picking it up this morning. I didn't take the Cipro last night and I'm still feeling the red itchies (despite dosing up with Benadryl) and the flank pain.

I had the penicillin reaction as an adult (the erythro one, too), so I'm kind of hesitant to try it again. Somebody suggested to me that I should perhaps see an allergist and have 'official' testing to see how many drugs I'm really allergic to. Guess I'll have to put that on my list for 2008!

-m