PDA

View Full Version : Kindergarten Reading - WARNING LONG

jenmcadams
12-06-2007, 02:37 PM
WARNING: THIS IS LONG -- It actually helped me formulate my thoughts, so it was good for me to write it, but don't feel bad if you don't have the time/inclination to read this...

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, but I am looking for some advice and to hear about other people's experience, so I decided the Lounge was the best place.

My DD started full day K this year at our local neighborhood school. We're really fortunate that it's an amazing school -- small (2 classes per grade), beautiful facilities, amazing teachers, great principal, nice kids, etc. It's the type of school that people from outside the area try to choice in to and we're lucky that we can walk there. The community is nice and very supportive and while it's not at all ethnically diverse, there is some socioeconomic diversity which is important to me. On top of all that, it's consistently rated Excellent on a test score basis even though the school doesn't seem inordinately focused on testing. Her preschool experience was definitely pretty different than most of the kids in her class. She went to what is basically a lab school/daycare center at a local community college. The center is loosely based on Reggio Emilia philosophies and is not at all academic. The Center is pretty diverse (at least for Colorado) and is a mix of full time working parent families and part-time families (although they don't offer any part day programs). Kids leave the center with great social skills and just seem like nice, respectful kids. Most kids do fine in Kindergarten, but there is definitely some adjustment given the unstructured nature of the Center.

All of this build-up is to give you some context as to what I'm seeing now in Kinder. When Abbie entered K, she knew all of her letters and sounds. She could recognize all of her upper and lower case letters and could write all upper and some lower case. She was just starting to sound out some words (BOB books). She learned this through play-based activities at her preschool and through random activities and toys at home. I would say her level of skills put her smack dab in the middle in terms of knowledge coming in. She seems to be doing fine, but sometimes I'm overwhelmed by what the other kids are doing and my worries about her progress. They spent the first 2 1/2 months of school solidifying their knowledge of letters and sounds and after Halloween started in with "Book Bags" -- basically DRA-leveled readers with some worksheets and a few other activities. They work on these books in class during guided reading and bring home these book bags on those days for homework (normally every third day). Abbie spent a week in the DRA level 1 books and has been in the DRA level 2 books for a few weeks. The teacher is great about moving kids around constantly based on aptitude and advancement -- there are six reading groups of 4 kids each and most kids have switched at least 2-3 times since the beginning of the year. I volunteer in the classroom a few times per month, so I see the other groups and get to see how they work. I guess what's frustrating to me is that Abbie seems so bored by the books she's getting now -- there are very few hard words, the concepts aren't difficult and I don't see how they're helping her grow as a reader. She is by no means super advanced -- as an example, one of her little friends who she plays with frequently was at our house for a playdate and was showing me her bookbag and she is at a DRA level 6-8. Our school district's stated goal for the end of Kindergarten is to be reading DRA level 3 books, so Abbie is doing fine and I'm not worried about her not reaching her grade level goals, but she also obviously isn't at the same level as some of the other kids in her class who came into K reading.

We knew that Abbie's actual academic skills wouldn't meet up with her ability initially b/c we chose to take the play-based route for early childhood education. Her teacher consistently tells us how bright Abbie is, how amazing her vocabulary and reasoning skills are, etc. It's just hard to sit by and watch what seems like a slow pace of her reading progress without saying anything. I also don't want to be the parent who is pushing for my child to be moved up all the time. I'm not an expert on teaching reading -- the school has been great about involving us in the way they teach reading and all of the strategies they're trying to get the kids to use (they held a 3 hour workshop that all parents attended where we did all of the reading activities our kids do and learned about their approach to teaching kids to read). My gut instinct for now is that I'll wait until after Christmas to see if the challenge level picks up. When I work with Abbie's group when I'm in the classroom, they all seem at about the same level for reading and writing skills as she is, so she's not obviously in the wrong level group. I also don't want to supplement much at home b/c between K and her activities, I don't want to pile it on. Her only homework currently is the bookbag she gets every 3rd day which takes about 15-20 minutes. On non-bookbag days, she draws and writes and we read, but I don't want to formalize it b/c I'm not big on homework as it is.

Everything I've ever read says that by the time you're in third grade, things start to normalize and you'd be hard-pressed to pick out the early readers, but it's hard not to worry. My younger child has recently started at the same college-based Center my DD attended and I still love it and I know intellectually that a play-based approach to early childhood education is the best way to foster creativity and intellectual curiosity, but sometimes I wonder if I'm doing them a disservice by not having them more academically prepared for Kinder. Both my kids are the quiet, academic, please the teacher types, so they probably would have been/would be fine in a traditional Kindergarten prep type preschool and I wonder if it's fair that they have to start out behind the other kids. Any thoughts from Moms of Kindergraten kids or Moms of older kids (particularly those who have kids that attended play-based preschools and went to relatively academic Kinder)? I've always been such a huge advocate of play-based ECE that I intellectually know that it was the right approach (especially for my kids), but it's hard now that Kindergarten is here to wonder whether we should have done more academics

egoldber
12-06-2007, 02:57 PM
FWIW, when Sarah was in K (a private, playbased, developmentally appropriate K) she was exactly where Abbie is right now. During the winter, her reading just completely exploded and by the end of K she was reading simple chapter books. She is now in first and just finished the Magic Treehouse series (reading them on her own, not us reading them to her) and she is reading at about a 4/5th grade level.

IMO, the most important encouragement of reading comes at home. By that I mean if kids are exposed to books in a book loving environment (barring other issues), kids will learn to read well. I guess my philosophy is that if the school does not hurt my child's love of reading I'm happy LOL!

I would go to the library with her and try to find a stack of books at her level and just beyond that are more interesting. And then let things go where they will.

I do think it is worth talking to the teacher about giving her different/more interesting books. I know that teachers typically like to use those leveled readers because it makes them easier for them, but most of them are dull as rocks. (The books, not the teachers ;) )

I am actually struggling with an opposite dilemma right now. Sarah is a very advanced reader for first grade, but the homework she is being asked to do requires abstract reasoning she isn't quite up to and its creating its own issues.

ETA: Just wanted to add, I hope it doesn't sound like I am dismissing your concerns. I think what I meant to say was that kids often learn to read in spurts and will have a huge advancement practically over night. If that hasn't happened for Abbie yet, I'm sure it will soon. My friend's daughter went to a very academic K and was reading much more by the end of K than Sarah was. But she is not an avid reader and doesn't love books the way Sarah does. And Sarah is now more advanced than she is. So levels mean so little at this point.

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2007, 03:27 PM
My ds is in k and he attended a developmental/ play based preschool...and he is attending the same style of kindergarten. I have been so happy w/ their approach to teaching reading. There is no homework, worksheets, reaing groups yet he is learning to read. I think he will officially be reading before the end of the year or at least have all the skills in place. It's interesting b/c that is the goal of every private school we visited, it was only the public schools that pushed it.

I guess it would be hard to watch your child not be challenged though. It wouldn't hurt to sit down with (maybe even just email) the teacher. Don't worry about being "that" parent. You'll feel better if you hear their reasoning, they hear your's and maybe you can work out a good plan of action.

GL!
Beth

jenmcadams
12-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks so much to both of you...it's nice to hear from others in the same situation and especially others who have BTDT. I'll definitely chat with her teacher in the next few weeks and ask for some advice. I have heard that reading advances happen in bursts, so it's nice to hear about your experience with Sarah. Abbie loves to read and be read to, so I'm sure she'll be fine in the long run (and she's fine now). I think I'm also always a little insecure b/c she's the youngest in her class (turned 5 on August 29) and while I was confident that she was ready for Kindergarten, I always get some shocked reactions that I (gasp) sent her this year. But, at the same time, she's pretty tall for 5, so she doesn't look particularly small and socially most of her friends are 6 year olds and she does fine in those situations too. So, I know the right thing to do was send her and she's perfectly on track, but it's always nice to come here, write a crazy long-winded post and get some validation, so thanks :)

brittone2
12-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Just agreeing with the PPs. I don't really have BTDT advice yet, but I thought I'd respond. I'm sure it is hard not to have concerns, but I think your DD will be fine.

We are homeschooling and while most of DS's friends are now in preschool, I'm just more comfortable w/ a very relaxed environment around here. DS adores reading, and has been listening to us read chapter books for a year now. He isn't yet reading on his own (he's approaching 4) but he's starting to make some connections between letters and sounds.

The biggest thing I come back to is that my goal is to preserve the passion. I want him to be excited, curious, enthusiastic, etc. about learning. THe actual timeline isn't as important to me. If you push too hard, you risk losing that passion and natural intellectual curiosity. You followed your instincts about going with a play based preschool for a reason. Trust yourself.

I think Beth's suggestions of keeping a lot of books around, especially those that may be just a wee bit challenging for her is a good one.

Piglet
12-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Also agreeing with the PPs. DS1 is a reader. He is just like Sarah (Beth - we should introduce them, I bet they'd make a good match, LOL). He has been interested in books since he was a baby. He taught himself to read at age 3 and is reading every chance he gets. That having been said, he is the exception, not the rule. He is in grade 1 and just now a bunch of his friends are giving him a run for his money. It started out at the beginning of K with 2 of the kids reading and now just about all of them are getting it. In fact, my friend just called me overjoyed that her DS that has never been into reading just read a whole paragraph to her. I am sure that all their little brains are firing and the concepts are coming together, but at different times. The thing with reading, as I see it - it is a finite skill. You either read or you don't read and no matter when you learn, no one is the "best" reader or "worst" reader. Maybe faster or slower, or maybe someone has a bigger or smaller vocabulary, etc. You couldn't look at an adult and figure out when they learned how to read. you know? Other skills you can build on, like math - you need addition before you learn multiplication and multiplication before algebra and algebra before trig, etc. With reading, you can be a late reader and still catch up in no time.

lisams
12-06-2007, 08:07 PM
I wish I had more time to reply, but one thing I wanted to point out is that when teaching children to read, it's important to take into account two areas - fluency and comprehension. Many times a child will be pretty fluent at a certain level, but the comprehension isn't there. Moving a child up to a more challenging level when they aren't ready in both areas can cause problems. Teachers will keep a child at a less challenging level in fluency to help build up and challenge their comprehension.

Not sure that made sense, but thought I'd throw that out there as a thought. I would talk with the teacher, I'm sure she'll appreciate it. Good luck!

hardysmom
12-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Hardy is in K in a similar, though private setting.

OK, I am not saying this to be abrupt, but just as a reality check. Is is possible that you are projecting some of your own worries/concerns onto the situation? I mean, it sounds like Abby is doing great! Heck, she is an August birthday and is sounding words and TRYING to read. She is in the middle of the pack, but is the youngest kid. She has strong social skills and sounds mature.

There is always some brainiac kid who is reading on a 5th grade level in preschool who scares all the parents into thinking THEIR child is behind, when really they may be gifted, just not as off-the-charts as that one, statistically improbable child. In my world, it is DS' best friend across the street who actually skipped kindergarten in a gifted program. She is 6 and can read (and explain) technical science manuals.

In my son's class, it seems like every kid has some strengths- maybe reading, maybe verbal skills, maybe math... The kids I worry about are the ones who don't seem balanced or who seem to have emerging emotional problems/learning issues. Heck, in a "better" school, I bet a lot of the kids who seem really ahead could be almost 18 mo older than your daughter. I know that some kids will start turning 7 in the spring of kindergarten in my DS class. I was shocked when I heard one girl reading, until I learned that she will turn 7 in April and is doing K for the 2nd time.

Hope this helps.

Stephanie

jk3
12-06-2007, 10:14 PM
She's doing fine. Learning to read is similar to learning to walk. It's not important in the scheme of things how early your child walks.

FWIW - It doesn't really matter if your child attends a play-based preschool, an overly academic one or does not attend preschool at all. Some children are developmentally ready while others take more time. The true early readers (those who learn in preschool) tend to teach themselves - they learn on their own without any instruction.

redhookmom
12-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I would keep in mind that you could have been drilling your daughter with Hooked on PHonics flashcards and she might be at the same place she is now. Reading is a developmental milestone and sometimes we just can't rush it.

jenmcadams
12-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks again...I know I was having a freak-out moment this AM. She's doing fine and especially given her age, lack of formal prep, etc., it's great that she's smack dab in the middle of a very academic kindergarten (which she really loves btw).

I still may chat with the teacher in the next few weeks about the books and what we should be getting out of them. They read them during guided reading at school, so by the time she gets home with the book, she's read it several times, so I probably wouldn't even be seeing it if she had a problem with the initial read through (they're pretty simple and pretty repetitive so she has them memorized by the time she's home).

So, this was definitely a case of me needing to write lots of long winded posts to get my thoughts together and I realize she's doing great. My DH and I have always said the most important thing for us about K was that she likes school and is making friends...we've always just figured the academic would come and they will (and they are).

Thanks Again for everyone's replies :)

overcome
12-06-2007, 10:32 PM
A lot of smart mamas on this board...you've received great advice.

I am a first grade teacher. Here's my advice. Read for pleasure with your daughter at home. Take her to the library. You can read the books to her, she doesn't HAVE to read the books to you. Get books with a lot of rhyming and repetition. Read her favorites over and over again. She will absorb so much just from you exposing her to books and reading to her.

I would encourage ANYONE with a small child to read The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/2jum57

It is amazing and will put the whole reading thing in perspective.

Good luck and hang in....you are making terrific decisions!!

erosenst
12-06-2007, 11:45 PM
FWIW - It doesn't really matter if your child attends a play-based preschool, an overly academic one or does not attend preschool at all. Some children are developmentally ready while others take more time. The true early readers (those who learn in preschool) tend to teach themselves - they learn on their own without any instruction.

I just wanted to agree with this. Abby is in a play-based daycare/preschool. It's a *little* more academic than a true play-based one would be, but definitely no flash cards, worksheets, etc. Abby will be four in January...and is a relatively fluent reader. She mostly taught herself, with input from her teachers and us when she gets stuck/has questions.

And I also agree with those who say that most kids even out by third grade, regardless of when they learn to read.

(And FWIW, Abby was a late walker (15.5 months) but was more coordinated than most kids by 2 1/2)

Emily

noodle
12-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Been there, done that.

My DS attended a lab school at a local community college as well. It is a wonderful program, play-based and child centered. He was (is) very verbal, but not an early reader. He was reading a few word in kindergarten, an few more at the beginning of first grade. He's now in third grade and he's the most fluent reader in his class. He's in the top three for comprehension. These "rankings" really aren't important -- I just want to emphasize that he has more than "caught up" with his classmates who scared my pants off in kindergarten.

The academic push in elementary is getting more and more fierce. I truly believe that in the long run, children who are allowed to be children for as long as possible will be better off. There is plenty of time for academics as they get older.

jennifer

KBecks
12-07-2007, 11:38 AM
A I would encourage ANYONE with a small child to read The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease. Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/2jum57

It is amazing and will put the whole reading thing in perspective.

Good luck and hang in....you are making terrific decisions!!

Thanks for the book recommendation! I'll check it out.

american_mama
12-07-2007, 11:10 PM
DD is in kindergarten and reading at a very advanced level. The class learn-to-read curriculum (called Open Court) is very simple and boring. DD never complains about it at school, since she is eager to do what the rest of the class is doing, but she resists reading or even touching the books at home. Dh mentioned something to the gifted teacher, who he sees every morning, and she wrote up some sample questions for us to ask DD to interest her more in the stories. Maybe you can use her approach to pep up the stories for your DD.

Many of the questions relate to asking the child to look at the pictures and imagine beyond them, and there isn't really a right or wrong answer. For example, how do the characters feel when X happens (the frog jumps off the log that turns out to be an alligator)? How do you know? What season is it (in a book that doesn't address this at all, but shows leaves and clothing)? How do you know? How do you know that the story is pretend (in a story about animals making stew)? What else could you make with these objects (in a story about children turning a box and paper bags into a spaceship and spacesuit)? Where is the spaceship going? Why do people go to space? (These questions were in a story that is about pretending to go to space, but doesn't address where or why). When have you pretended?

DD really likes answering the questions and gets interested in books that were otherwise useless to her (at least at home). The teacher is still writing the questions for us, which is really nice of her, and sometimes DD will write an answer beneath the questions, which is fun for her as long as she doesn't have to do all of them or write a whole sentence. Most of the time, we just ask her the questions and talk about the book. Prior to the teacher's input, it didn't occur to me to talk about such simple books and even if it had, I wouldn't have thought of many of her questions.

american_mama
12-07-2007, 11:11 PM
DD is in kindergarten and reading at a very advanced level. The class learn-to-read curriculum (called Open Court) is very simple and boring. DD never complains about it at school, since she is eager to do what the rest of the class is doing, but she resists reading or even touching the books at home. Dh mentioned something to the gifted teacher, who he sees every morning, and she wrote up some sample questions for us to ask DD to interest her more in the stories. Maybe you can use her approach to pep up the stories for your DD.

Many of the questions relate to asking the child to look at the pictures and imagine beyond them, and there isn't really a right or wrong answer. For example, how do the characters feel when X happens (the frog jumps off the log that turns out to be an alligator)? How do you know? What season is it (in a book that doesn't address this at all, but shows leaves and clothing)? How do you know? How do you know that the story is pretend (in a story about animals making stew)? What else could you make with these objects (in a story about children turning a box and paper bags into a spaceship and spacesuit)? Where is the spaceship going? Why do people go to space? (These questions were in a story that is about pretending to go to space, but doesn't address where or why). When have you pretended?

DD really likes answering the questions and gets interested in books that were otherwise useless to her (at least at home). The teacher is still writing the questions for us, which is really nice of her, and sometimes DD will write an answer beneath the questions, which is fun for her as long as she doesn't have to do all of them or write a whole sentence. Most of the time, we just ask her the questions and talk about the book. Prior to the teacher's input, it didn't occur to me to talk about such simple books and even if it had, I wouldn't have thought of many of her questions.