PDA

View Full Version : Gift ideas for Preschool teachers

gogok
12-06-2007, 07:36 PM
My DS started preschool this year and I'm looking for ideas as I've never done this before. DS's class has a lead teacher and 2 assistant teachers (come and go at different time). And then he has a music and an art teachers who visit their class once/twice a week. I actually see DS with the assistant teachers more often than the lead teacher.

So, my question is should I give gifts with the same value to each of his teachers (including the music and art teachers)? If so, how much would consider appropriate? I don't want to give too much which makes me look like I am bribing them.

Also, any gift ideas for teachers? Is gift card (like target, macys, sephora, itune) okay to give?

Thanks in advance everyone!

mommy111
12-06-2007, 08:08 PM
I would love to see the answers to this post, esp how much do you give if you give a gift card?
Thanks!

aidansmommy
12-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Ds is in preschool and has one teacher and an aid. They're both wonderful and I'm planning on spending the same amount on each. I think I'll probably get a $20 gift cert to someplace, I'm deciding on either Barnes and Nobles or a gift cert for manicure at a nice spa that is up the street from the school. Then I'll include something made by ds, maybe an ornament, card, cookies, etc.

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Homemade cookies, individual packet of tea or hot chocolate (I usually break up a gift set) and bookstore gift card ($10).

This year for kindergarten the school suggested making a donation to charity. So probably that and cookies this year.

Beth

himom
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
One of DS's teachers is moving across the country over Christmas break, so I need to come up with a good portable gift for her. The other two teachers are more secondary but I'll be getting them gifts too.

However, I am also stumped on what to get! I'll be watching this thread for better ideas, but so far all I really can think of are gift certificates.

redhookmom
12-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I usually do a bookstore gift card and have my children make bookmarks.

Lucy

mum1day
12-07-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm undecided. I did already purchase food tins to make cookies for all 4 teachers (since I already have a reputation among them for being a great baker, I cannot NOT bake them gifts). And I did buy mugs, which I'm thinking of returning. I would rather get something that is meaningful since these are all teachers who want for nothing. So, I am thinking of buying a flock of geese in the school's name from heifer.org.

LBW
12-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I've given gift cards to large movie theater chains in the past and they've been well received. I put enough on the card to pay for two tickets, drinks, and snacks.

kochh2
12-08-2007, 10:50 AM
i was thinking of making fudge, and getting decorative chinese food-ish take out containers to pack them in... simple, DS can help, and cost-friendly!! DS just started this month, so i dont know much about the teachers!! :)hth

oneplustwo
12-08-2007, 12:01 PM
We're pretty boring in this area. I usually bake something that the kids decorate with me, and wrap it up in a pretty container. The kids especially enjoy decorating gingerbread men, so we're doing that this year. The kids make cards for the teachers too. I give a bigger gift at the end of the school year.

SASM
12-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Every year I have done the same thing. I always make:

- Cocoa mix with a mug ~ 2 varieties for each person: peppermint and cocoa with a kick (hint of cayenne).
- Rice crispie treats dipped in chocolate ~ 2 varieties: semisweet chocolate chips and then dipped in milk chocolate and white chocolate chips dipped in white chocolate ~ garnished with whatever the kids want (colored sugar, nonpariels, etc)
- Soft natural peppermint sticks dipped in dark chocolate ~ again, garnished with whatever the kids want.

Both of my kids (4.5 and 2.5) helped make each of their teachers goodies. They picked out the bags and each person got a mug that they picked out as well. I usually package up everything nicely but this year I was lucky to just get ebverything done with both kids helping so it wasn't as pretty. :)

I am working on having the kids make their cards this weekend. Last year I enclosed an ornament in each bag as well.

It does not break the bank and my kids were soooo proud of what they made! I know that several moms were chipping in together to buy a gift card but I was turned off by this when I gave the collecting mom a contribution and she gave it back because it wasn't enough and "watered down" the contribution from the other kids. I was appauled and swear that I'd never give a joint gift again. :( I didn't want credit for the gift ~ I just thought that "X" amount was better than no contribution, in additiion to the gift that we already gave.

HTH!!