PDA

View Full Version : If he's 4 and likes Thomas...

JoyNChrist
12-07-2007, 03:37 AM
...what else will he like?

I just found out that my BIL is planning to propose to his girlfriend next weekend, and that she and her son will be joining the family for Christmas this year. I'd like to have a gift for her little boy. He's 4, and when I asked BIL what he likes, he said "He's really into that Thomas the train guy, and he likes cars and trucks." Okay...but I'm still not sure what to get. If he likes Thomas so much, chances are good that he already has a lot of it. And his mom and I don't really know one another, so I don't want to call and ask her what I should get.

If your 4-year-old likes Thomas, what are some other toys that have been hits? I'd like to stay around $30 if possible.

TIA!

nicknack
12-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Let's see...my son (just turned 4) is still a bit into THomas but not quite as much as he used to be. Here are some other things he's into:

Bob the Builder stuff (they have little diecast guys for like $4 each)
Cars (REALLY into this this past year, also have little diecast guys but sort of hard to know if he has certain ones)

Oh, just hit me, they have Lego Duplo sets that are Thomas themed, you could get him one or two of those? Thomas sticker book? Thomas DVD that comes with a train on top?

caheinz
12-07-2007, 02:51 PM
There's tons of stuff with Thomas on it, so chances of a duplicate aren't high. That said, my DS doesn't at all mind having multiples of anyone -- he has 4 or 5 (or more?) Thomases at this point. (Some sets come with him....) You could also include a gift receipt so that he could swap it out if needed.

But you should ask what sort of track they have. There are now at least four incompatible lines, five if you count Lego Duplo. (Wooden, take-along, Tomy, Trackmaster...)

At some specialty toy stores or hobby shops, they have other trains that are more "realistic" (they're still wooden trains) that are compatible with wooden Thomas, if you really wanted something different.

firstbaby
12-07-2007, 07:32 PM
DS will be 4 in January. He really enjoys playing with his Thomas things but we haven't made an investment in a lot of their pieces. They did recently come out with newer pieces since the recall. He may not have as many of the pieces as you think :) Another similar idea and compatible with the wooden track would be Plan Toys - like the gas station or rescue center. They are around $25 and would nicely complement the Thomas pieces.

geochick
12-08-2007, 01:32 AM
My ds is nearly 4 and is a Thomas fanatic! When he isn't playing with Thomas, he's playing with his die cast cars from the Cars movie. Here are his two favorite things to use with his cars:

This one comes with a Lightning McQueen car and the race track...way fun! Throw in the movie Cars and you're set:
http://www.amazon.com/Pixar-Cars-Lightning-Speedway-Track/dp/B000LJ2QVG/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1197091814&sr=8-1

This is fun to play with, but doesn't come with one of the cars...you'll have to buy that separately:
http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-Disney-Pixars-Truck-Playset/dp/B000M1ERM4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1197091835&sr=8-2

Seriously, my son has 2 passions...Lightning McQueen and Thomas the train.

new_mommy25
12-08-2007, 03:32 AM
My DS would love a carrying case for cars. That's something you can never have enough of. There are also many HotWheels/Matchbox sets under $30. My DS would be thrilled with any of them. Otherwise you could get something Thomas themed, like a book,shirt, cash box (my 4 year old would love this!), etc.

JBaxter
12-08-2007, 07:28 AM
I think I would give his mom a call. It would be a great way for her to feel included and she give you a little more insite to what she thinks he would like. Nathan realy likes Thomas too but his new thing ( just lately) is construction equipment and even though he hasnt said it I know he would enjoy a nice backhoe :). Its hard to get a kid to return something they got as a duplicate.

BUT... I can tell you this was a big hit for Nathan's birthday -- it folds nicely for storage too! Ive been suggesting it to all momma's with 4 yr old boys Disney Pixar's Cars the Movie Lightning McQueen Fast Speedway Track Set 19.99
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2466371

kijip
12-08-2007, 10:36 PM
My son is 4 and loves trains. There is so much variety, I would not worry about duplicates. Just include a gift receipt just in case. It is worth asking if he has wooden ones or the others.

Also, have you seen the wooden train letters at a toy store near you? Toby got an engine and caboose with the letters of his name in between and he LOVES it. Since it is personalized to the kid, that might feel extra inclusive?

One last thought- the Polar Express movie or the brio engine made to look like the polar express.

charp2000
12-09-2007, 12:37 AM
How about some Thomas books? When my DS was really into Thomas and trains, he loved the Thomas storybooks for bedtime reading.

LBW
12-09-2007, 11:06 AM
I'd suggest books, too. I think the original Thomas stories would make a great present:

http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Engine-Story-Collection-Railway/dp/0375834095/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197212585&sr=8-1

I love it when people get us books or smaller toys.

megulis
12-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I know this is a bit out of your price range. My 4 yo plays with trains, but he just got the Parking Garage for Hanukkah. He seems to enjoy this with his brother. I would just make sure you buy it locally and include a receipt. If you buy Plan Toys, I would think you wouldn't have to worry about the lead content.

Plan Toys Parking Garage for $50

http://www.amazon.com/Parking-Garage-by-Plan-Toys/dp/B000PE8DXM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1197216668&sr=8-8

american_mama
12-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I'd recommend the recent edition of the book "The Little Engine that Could" with new illustrations by Loren Long (his illustrations are what update the book from the 1950's and 1930's edition). I never knew the exact story and enjoyed reading it very much, plus my 3 and 5 year old daughters were entranced. The language (a little stilted) is very similar to the Thomas stories, and the dialogue of some of the unhelpful engines who won't help sounds very much like James, Gordon and some of the rest of the Thomas crew.

It may only be available in hardback, which is probably about $17, but the book is large and the paper really thick. It feels like you're holding a classic in your hands, and you are.