PDA

View Full Version : Any must-have DVDs?

jrhoads
12-08-2007, 12:33 PM
DD will turn 2 right after Christmas. We have pretty much never let her really watch television up to this point. I wanted to get her a few dvd's for Christmas. Any suggestions on the best of the best. I would prefer educational ones.
Thank you!

Sillygirl
12-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Sesame Street Old School is the only thing we let Jonathan watch.They just came out with Volume 2!

ellies mom
12-08-2007, 01:01 PM
We really like the Signing Time videos. The songs can be pretty catchy and I'm certain that is where DD got the hang of her colors. They are pretty spendy but at four, Ellie is still watching them.

kijip
12-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I second Sesame Street Old School.

Toby is also a big fan of Charlie Brown and has been since age 2 and 1/2.

Emmas Mom
12-08-2007, 11:08 PM
We really like the Classical Baby series that HBO put out. They have one for music, one for art & one for dance.

Jenny_A
12-09-2007, 05:33 PM
I LOVE Leap Frog videos!! We have the Leap Frog letter factory and DD enjoys it and is learning her sounds pretty quickly. She's almost 2. They have several Leap Frog videos. Many of my real life friends swear by them.

willow33
12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
My 2 year old loves Caillou. We have several of the videos and they teach great life lessons. HTH!

scoop22
12-09-2007, 09:48 PM
We only have basic cable so pbs and dvd's is all we have. ds loves the wee sing videos. he is starting to watch little einstein. he loves caillou and sesame street. the wee sing has alot of songs. he is starting to get into the leap frog videos as well. good luck. we rented first before we bought just to see if ds would like anything.

mom2binsd
12-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Both my children love Little Bear, there are a couple of DVD's with a number of episodes...the characters are wonderful and the tone of the story is calm and very positive....DD who is 21 months finds it soothing and DD who is 4 1/2 loves it too...no experience with Sesame St. here as it comes on too early and being a speech therapist I have issues with Cookie monster and Elmo's baby talk-I grew up loving S.Street and we just saw them live in concert, cute....but it just bugs me that they model baby talk...anyway...we love Little Bear.

Beth

KBecks
12-10-2007, 09:58 AM
We have Schoolhouse Rock DVDs and they are awesome. They are too old for our kids but we still watch and listen once in a while. The music is great, and we'll be able to use these for years.

mik8
12-10-2007, 11:22 AM
I remember my DD enjoyed Sesame Street series at that age. Around 3-3.5 y/o, she got interested with the leapfrog series (letter factory and phonics sounds).

Tondi G
12-10-2007, 01:39 PM
My 2.5 year old ADORES the Little Einteins. I recommend Our Big Huge Adventure and Team Up For Adventure!

DS is getting a Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD for Christmas!

missym
12-10-2007, 01:50 PM
We like the Kipper videos. They're very quiet and slow-paced, but they keep the attention of both our kids. I like to use them when we need some wind-down time.

Seconding a PP, the HBO Classical Baby videos are great, too.

sidmand
12-10-2007, 07:49 PM
DS has never gotten into Sesame Street (I tried the Old School and the 25th Anniversary one as well as regular SS currently on), but I'd say it depends on whether you want "educational" or not.

DS loves Signing Time. His favorite right now is probably the ABC one. The Wiggles are a big hit, as well as the Leap Frog Talking Letters and Talking Words (it's a stretch, but I consider those "educational" or exercise in the case of the Wiggles). He also loves the Backyardigans and Blue's Clues. Super Why is a new favorite, but I don't think there are any DVDs for that one yet.

MMMommy
12-11-2007, 01:04 AM
My girls love Blue's Clues, which I think has some educational value. They also love Max & Ruby, which isn't necessarily educational, but sweet and cute.