PDA

View Full Version : MEC pulled Lexan bottles from shelves

bubbaray
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
MEC pulled all Lexan bottles (ie., Nalgene and others) from its shelves yesterday, making it the first Canadian retailer to do that and the 2nd in North America (apparently Patagonia was the first in NA).

AND, MEC will give you a full refund for any Lexan bottles you purchased at MEC and no longer want to use. I've already bagged my Nalgenes, 2 kids Nalgene sippy cups and a generic Lexan, all of which were from MEC. They're going back Monday and I'm buying more Klean Kanteens (not from MEC unfortunately, they don't sell them -- yet).

HTH

tg_canada
12-10-2007, 02:21 AM
That's awesome! Way to go MEC! I had about 5 Nalgene bottles I purchased there. Too bad I threw them out almost 3 years ago when I was worried about polycarbonate; a refund would have been nice!

bubbaray
12-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I just heard back from MEC. They don't currently have any children's metal bottles in stock, but are getting these 2 in for 2008:

http://www.thermos.com/Product_detail.aspx?CatCode=Foog&SubcategoryID=43&ProductID=734

http://www.thermos.com/Product_detail.aspx?CatCode=Foog&SubcategoryID=44&ProductID=738

They look promising! :)

NewfieNat
12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Ooooh! I want both of those already...we just brought a huge bag of bottles and sippys to the recycling centre. Now we're left with one Born Free sippy and a handful of First Years disposables - but desperately in need of more safe options!

bubbaray
12-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Here is the text of the email I got from MEC (I had em'd them asking them to stock either or both of the Klean Kanteen sippy and Sigg children's bottles):

Hello Melissa,

Thank you for the suggestion.

We have two new Thermos-brand stainless steel cups for kids coming in the New Year. We currently do not have a price or ETA for these products. Here are the product numbers and descriptions:

1. Thermos FooGo Leak-Proof Sippy Cup 200ml, MEC product# 5016-120

2. Thermos FooGo Leak-Proof Straw Bottle 350ml, MEC product# 5016-112

The links to the two products above will take you to the Thermos site, where you can see pictures and descriptions of the items.

Check back with us in January regarding the estimated time of arrival of these products in our stores.

ETA: both cups come in blue and pink. The sippy comes with or without handles.... I see some pink ones in my future! :)
HTH

Neatfreak
12-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Gosh, I have about seven here, between the three of us. My sister is visiting us in BKK right now - maybe she can take them back to MEC for me!

I thought that cold/room temp. liquids were still okay in polycarbonate. Boo.