PDA

View Full Version : I think I have ADD & DS has ADHD

mamicka
12-09-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm suspecting that DS1 has ADHD & so I've been looking into the symptoms. As it turns out, I think that I have ADD. I *never* thought that I might have this so it really surprises me that I seem to have so many ADD qualities.

Anyone else have this? Is this something that Dr's take seriously in adults or am I just on my own? Even if a Dr would diagnose me, I'm pretty sure I'd not want medication to treat it but would try to change my diet, etc. Do I bother talking to my Dr?

I know this is totally random. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

I also still think that DS1 might have ADHD. Any BTDT with ADHD & changes in diet?

Thanks!

Sillygirl
12-09-2007, 11:30 PM
The only advice I can give is to remember that ADD is a disorder - it has to cause significant impaired functioning in your life. Those lists of possible symptoms often neglect to mention that. And you say you wouldn't want treatment for it, so I don't know how impaired you feel. If you're just looking to "fine tune" yourself I'm not sure a professional's advice on ADD would be that relevant to you.

mamicka
12-09-2007, 11:33 PM
The only advice I can give is to remember that ADD is a disorder - it has to cause significant impaired functioning in your life. Those lists of possible symptoms often neglect to mention that. And you say you wouldn't want treatment for it, so I don't know how impaired you feel. If you're just looking to "fine tune" yourself I'm not sure a professional's advice on ADD would be that relevant to you.

Good point. I'll clarify to say that I wouldn't want to take medication now because I'm nursing & plan to for 8 more months. After that, I'd be open to medication if it would help. I do feel that my day-to-day functioning is impaired but it's really hard to say how significantly since I've never known any different. KWIM?

Sillygirl
12-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Did you graduate from high school? Pursue post-secondary education? Hold down a skilled job for any substantial length of time? Do any volunteer work that required planning, etc.? Doing those things without meds or formal support structure is possible with ADD, but if they came relatively easily to you, it would seriously call the diagnosis into question, IMO. Remember, there's a whole range of normal, and then disorders fall outside that range.

mamicka
12-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Did you graduate from high school? Pursue post-secondary education? Hold down a skilled job for any substantial length of time? Do any volunteer work that required planning, etc.? Doing those things without meds or formal support structure is possible with ADD, but if they came relatively easily to you, it would seriously call the diagnosis into question, IMO. Remember, there's a whole range of normal, and then disorders fall outside that range.

Well... yes, I've done those things. But I wouldn't say easily, at all. You've given me a lot to think about. Thanks. :)

JBaxter
12-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Nathan was never officially diagnoses but he had SO MANY SIGNS very very early. Impulse control lack of focus inability to be still ... they were very evident at age 3. They kicked us out of play group :(

NOW.......
Wonderful "typical" 4yr old boy and I can thank the Feingold Diet for most of it. He is SO SO much worse if he had ANY red or yellow food dyes. His teachers can tell in the first 5 minutes of class.

I suggest you check out www.feingold.org It may look a little daunting but really once you get into the swing of the diet its a breese

pinkmomagain
12-10-2007, 10:01 AM
My 8 yo dd ADD - inattentive type. She was dx a couple of years ago, but it was suspected as early as age 3 and then it looked more like an ASD. Right now she is functioning without meds in a regular classrooom. (She was on prozac for about a year at 5 yo because she also has a dx of anxiety.) She is getting by right now w/o meds, but it is hard work for her, me and her teacher.

My view is that it can deeply affect self-esteem....I try very hard to be encouraging but she knows intuitively that she often doesn't fall in line and "measure up" to what's expected...and that can be a killer on self-worth. My view is that I'd rather medicate with the monitoring of a dr, than have her self-medicate as a teen (alcohol, drugs) so if I feel things are getting bad for her in the next few years....I will seek meds. BTW, She does have a 504 at school (that I had to really fight for) that allows for some accommodations.

If I were you I would speak to a dr about yourself maybe after you're done nursing. As for your son, I don't think a responsible will dr will make a dx at this age. Maybe closer to 7? I haven't tried too many dietary interventions, but I firmly believe they do help some, and it usually can't hurt to try! I'd look into it further for sure.

Gina

mik8
12-10-2007, 11:12 AM
It wouldn't hurt to discuss your concerns with your DS's doctor and have him formally evaluated if need be. Regarding your own ADD suspicion, if you really "feel" it warrants attention due to a point of interference or impairment in your simple regular activities of daily living, discuss it with your physician as well. You both could discuss options for management (if indeed you have it). From my understanding, there's a wide spectrum or severity of ADD ranging from mild to severe. That being said, DH personally knows and collaborates with a very successful scientist in his field who has been diagnosed early on with ADD. Good luck to you.

KBecks
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't mean to dismiss your concerns, but I find it hard to believe that your oldest has ADHD from what I've seen and heard of him. Isn't this your boy who was writing thank you notes at age 2? From our brief conversations, I have the impression that your DS1 is pretty ahead of the game and that he's a focused, studious type. Now, I don't live with the little guy, and I trust you know your son and your feelings about it. It's definitely worth a chat with your pediatrician to explore the topic since you are concerned.

I think your boys are just great!

As for you, I'm sure that being a mom of 3 young children leaves anyone feeling pretty scattered. That doesn't mean you don't have ADD, but it certainly could make anyone feel like they're struggling.

Take your concerns seriously though, I'm sure you didn't come to this idea lightly, it's worth finding out more.

And with the diet stuff, eating healther and less processed certainly can't hurt, whether or not there are medical issues going on.

Best wishes,
Karen

MamaKath
12-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I have a 5 year old who will be undergoing testing in January. He has SI problems and has made huge improvements since starting OT last year, but is impulsive as anything! Keeps having problems in school because of that and the wandering mind. I do have ADD and while I made it through many of the typical milestones it was not without difficulty. It does tend to be a disorder that is seen in more than one generation, though many of us slipped through the cracks as kids if we were bright and not adHd (that hyper part is what used to set it apart in the 70s and 80s).

A great place to look for general information for kids, adults, treatments, etc. is www.chadd.org They have links for understanding it, etc. There are some great books out there also, most libraries have tons on the topic if you like to read.

I have heard great things about Feingold diet, but can't you personal experience. I am actually going to post seperately to see if I can get more info about it. You have spurred me on, I promised dh a week ago I would post about this, yet haven't found opportunity. thanks- ;-) Kath

mamicka
12-11-2007, 12:45 AM
I don't mean to dismiss your concerns, but I find it hard to believe that your oldest has ADHD from what I've seen and heard of him. Isn't this your boy who was writing thank you notes at age 2? From our brief conversations, I have the impression that your DS1 is pretty ahead of the game and that he's a focused, studious type. Now, I don't live with the little guy, and I trust you know your son and your feelings about it. It's definitely worth a chat with your pediatrician to explore the topic since you are concerned.

I think your boys are just great!

As for you, I'm sure that being a mom of 3 young children leaves anyone feeling pretty scattered. That doesn't mean you don't have ADD, but it certainly could make anyone feel like they're struggling.

Take your concerns seriously though, I'm sure you didn't come to this idea lightly, it's worth finding out more.

And with the diet stuff, eating healther and less processed certainly can't hurt, whether or not there are medical issues going on.

Best wishes,
Karen

Awwww, thanks, Karen!

& Thanks everyone else for the responses. I'm going to continue my research & probably talk to the ped.

Thanks again.

mamicka
12-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I do have ADD and while I made it through many of the typical milestones it was not without difficulty. It does tend to be a disorder that is seen in more than one generation, though many of us slipped through the cracks as kids if we were bright and not adHd (that hyper part is what used to set it apart in the 70s and 80s).

Yes - this sounds like me. Thanks for posting, Kath.