PDA

View Full Version : looking for my first diaper bag

cooperalm
12-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I'll be a first-time mom in a couple of months and I'm trying to figure out which diaper bag I should ask for as a Christmas gift! Can anyone give me some direction on the best diaper bag for a newborn? I'm looking for a messenger/tote that is stylish but functional, is easy to clean, and will help me stay organized! I'm anticipating that I will be a heavy packer, at least at first. I plan to BF if that makes a difference...

I've done some research and like the looks/features of these so far:

Fleurville Sling Tote (but have read it's not big enough for a newborn?)

OiOi Hobo (but have read the organization isn't that great and the strap can slip off your shoulder)

Timi and Leslie (tote or messenger style)

Bumble Bags messenger style

Can anyone recommend any of these bags or suggest additional ones? Thank you so much for your help!!
Amy

MamaKath
12-10-2007, 11:25 PM
I would check out the SkipHop bags also. They are durable and functional as well as attractive. The Duo and Dash are certainly old favorites on these boards and have just been introduced with some improvements. I have the original Duo and an Expo and they have held up fantastically, go in the wash and handle a good deal of stuff (I have always been a heavy packer). If it were for a newborn, I would probably look at a Dash. I think it is easier to find things for a new baby. I know the very pricy City Chic is brand new and has some recent conversation also.

JuJu Be Spicy or Be Prepared Diaper bag look really cute, and might work well for you also. They also make backpack style and tote bags that are well spoken of on the boards. http://www.expressivetoys.com/diaperbags.html Jen at ExpressiveToys.com carries them (and the SkipHops) and is great to deal with!

Another thought might be a Timbuk2 bag. You can design your own and add features that make it work well as a diaper bag. There is lots of past conversation about these and the features that are most useful if you use the advanced search feature.

Many of the messenger style diaper bags are designed for dads and don't have as many cute colors as some of the more traditional styles. Often though a diaper bag will offer more organization than a true off the shelf messenger. You can add organizers to a messenger though to personalize it. So if you find one that is not a diaper bag but you like, add accessories like cosmetic cases and wristlets to keep your things and the baby's things contained.

Sites like www.ebags.com and www.zappos.com have tons of photos to search.
HTH~ Kath

Emmas Mom
12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the boards & congrats on your upcoming arrival. :) I used a Sling Tote for a toddler & a newborn with no issues. If you are truly a heavy packer then it might not be for you BUT consider keeping a stocked diaper bag in your car & then maybe you can carry around a bit less in your actual bag you'll be carrying. I still use the freebie diaper bag from the hospital & keep it in the car with diapers, wipes, snacks, change of clothes, etc. That way I have them with me when we're out & about but don't have to carry quite so much in my personal bag. Good luck.

pastrygirl
12-11-2007, 04:13 PM
My newborn bag was an Overland Noho, but it's not very stylish. I loved it, though! I discovered JuJuBe a few months ago and have been using those bags exclusively (Be Small, Packabe, and Be Spicy). Next time around, I'll use the Be Spicy and Packabe for the newborn stage. The quality, organization, style, and feel of the JJB bags is incredible! :)

cooperalm
12-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions! They were very helpful. :)

I think I'm now leaning toward the FV sling tote--I'll let you all know how I like it!

Amy

winifredzb
12-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I recently got the new Skiphop Via Messenger and I really, really like it. I've lost count of the number of diaper bags I have, but this one has moved to the front.

Congratulations on the baby and welcome to the wonderful world of diaper bags! :)

sarahbethsarah
12-21-2007, 01:05 AM
I recently got the new Skiphop Via Messenger and I really, really like it. I've lost count of the number of diaper bags I have, but this one has moved to the front.

Congratulations on the baby and welcome to the wonderful world of diaper bags! :)

i'm very interested in this bag too! I love the green. can you tell us more about it? how much does it hold? is it will organized? big? small? tell us more!

saschalicks
12-25-2007, 04:00 PM
As someone who has add all of the bags you listed I think that the one that would most work for your needs is the Timi & Leslie, but I found even that to be too small.

If you think that you'll be a heavy packer then the FV Sling Tote is going to be WAY too small for you. I found the bag to be heavy on it's own so w/stuff in it it was almost unbearable.

I would say a Skip Hop Dash or the new City Chic would be good.

My #1 recommendation for you would be the Ju Ju Be BeAll. The organization cannot be beat on that bag. Plus it will hold everything you need it to.

The bag that I liked the most when I had a newborn was a Posh Baby Ultimate messenger. That one however isn't as organized as the BeAll.

HTH

codex57
01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Fleurville and the like are nice and all, but I got serious sticker shock looking at them. I don't understand how they're more than twice the price of a Pottery Barn Kids Ultimate Diaper Bag when they seem identical in real life (other than the pattern of the fabric).

So, I'd recommend checking out the PBK bags and the Skip Hop Bags. We just bought a new Skip Hop Dash even tho we have the original Dash that's only a few months old. DS isn't 4 months yet and both bags are totallly adequate. I didn't like the original Dash that much (we used the PBK Ultimate more), but the new updated "Deluxe" Dash (same price as original) fixed all but one of my gripes. Both are around $60-65. You can buy both for less than the price of 1 Fleurville and those other higher end bags. I have no idea about fashion so maybe the price premium is in the styling, but from a utility standpoint vs. price, I like the Skip Hops or the PBK bags.

vonfirmath
02-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I keep looking at the SKip Hop bags, but they have a black interior and I'm afraid of losing things in them!

Do people find this a problem?

Marin
02-12-2008, 11:22 PM
The new skip hop deluxes all have bright linings. they got rid of the black linings!

MamaKath
02-24-2008, 12:44 AM
I keep looking at the SKip Hop bags, but they have a black interior and I'm afraid of losing things in them!

Do people find this a problem?

The newer ones have lighter interiors I believe. I know the new Messenger and Backpack do, and even the Target versions of the red and black have a lighter interior.

I have 2 Skip Hop bags (Duo and Expo) with a black interior and I do not find things getting lost to be a problem.The black interior never bothered me because they are so well organized. They have pockets inside for diapers, toys, & snacks. The rest of the large compartment works well for blanket & change of clothes. The top zip pockets held my stuff and stuff that needed to be accessed easily. The front pockets on the Duo held snacks and drinks, sides my water and a cell phone. On the Expo, I would expand it out and use the additional space for the snacks, put the drinks in one front pocket and cell phone and a few other things in the other.

HTH~