PDA

View Full Version : Present suggestion for DS from my parents

niccig
12-11-2007, 02:49 AM
My parents are visiting for Christmas and decided to buy DS a present here rather than bring something. Christmas Day is also his birthday. I have no idea what to suggest. The problem is that I got great deals at Tuesday morning and Marshalls, and I can't think of anything else that has the wow factor she wants, as in wow great present. I've thrown out all my toy catalogs, so I can't look there for inspiration. The most mileage in our house are the toolbelt, trains, kitchen, cars.

So far I have these items, but I might spread them out over the next year, as it's too much to give all at once. I did suggest she takes one of these, but she wants to buy it for him herself, and apparently giving me the $$ isn't the same thing.

Us:
Balance Bike/helmet
Digital camera
Ryans' room firehouse and dolls
Unit blocks
Pre-zolos

MIL/FIL
V-tech video game thingy
Remote control car
Automoblox
Doctor's dress up
Maybe other things

Cash register from SIL

brittone2
12-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Remind us again how old he is?

hillview
12-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Maybe they would like to take her shopping? Books? Not sure how old she is ...
/hillary

brittone2
12-11-2007, 11:14 AM
DS is almost 4. For the past 1-2 years his consistent favorites have been:

Balance bike
Kitchen
Train table
trucks/cars/tractors
Marble run
Games
Unit blocks (do you have these?)

Not sure about the wow factor. Is he old enough for some sort of marble run like Quadrilla or similar? I think your DS is a little younger than my little guy so he might not be ready for that yet.

Plasma car? Supposedly they work best on smoother surfaces like hardwood vs. bumpier outside surfaces.

If he likes tools/toolbelt, maybe some sort of little wooden workbench toy?

Is he old enough or would he have interest in any kind of games? Some of the Haba ones like the ones linked to below are almost like toys built into the game, kwim?
Orchard: (there are smaller ones but this version has the actual Haba play food as playing pieces)
http://www.blueberryforest.com/fun_games/haba_orchard.htm
Dingalingaling http://www.maukilo.com/getproduct.php?pid=5738&menu_man=136
Block on Block (DS is getting this for Christmas or bday)
http://www.blueberryforest.com/fun_games/haba_block_on_block_construction_game.htm

DS also likes Haba Grab Bag, Haba Crafty badger (a little more complicated), Don't Spill the Beans, Hi Ho Cherry-Oh, Zingo, a matching game (we have Eeboo's Life on Earth but there's also just plain old Memory), etc.

Does he like practical life stuff? Would he like something like one of those non-electric sweepers (some of the Montessori catalogs sell them. I know our local old fashioned hardware store sells them too for about $35). That might sound weird but my DS likes stuff like shovels, rakes, etc. That might not have the wow factor for your mom though.

Some sort of mail set? I saw a cute one at www.atoygarden.com I believe.

When I get stumped for ideas, I often just surf around unique websites like www.forsmallhands.com or similar to get ideas.

ETA: any idea on a rough budget?

ssjarrett
12-11-2007, 03:16 PM
My son who is the same age is getting a PBK anywhere chair from my parents. Not sure if he already has something like that, but she could buy one at the store I assume or have it sent to your house. (I got the inserts on ebay and saved about $30.) Lillian Vernon has some cute bean bag chairs too. Or, maybe a child's size table and chairs if you don't already have that.

I think my sister is giving him a Build a Bear gift card and plans to take him to the store to build one together. HTH. Good luck!
-Sarah