PDA

View Full Version : Trying to pick out a good quality remote control car for ds...

aidansmommy
12-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Hello Ladies,
My 4 year old ds really wants a remote control car for Christmas (he saw a commercial for the "Terrainiac") but he'd be very happy with any cool car. My problem is that the exact car he's asking for is about $80 and reviews seem mixed. If I'm spending this much money on a toy I want it to be good quality and hold up for a long time. Does anyone have a remote control car that your little one's like that are fun and seem well built and will not fall apart before New Year's?

bnme
12-11-2007, 09:39 PM
We have had several flops also.

Just ordered this one, so no experience yet....

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=9781400643509&z=y

I've also seen it in fire truck, dump truck and other cool versions.

new_mommy25
12-12-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm glad we're not the only ones! My DS adored RC cars but usually kills them within a few uses. I don't know why we keep buying them. :52: I bought him a $30 Air Hog plane a few weeks ago and he let a friend fly it into the street yesterday. Doh!

The one good car we have purchased is by Little Tikes. It's held up to abuse. Problem is, it's not cool enough for DS. So DD enjoys it. http://www.planettoys.com/home/products/all-products.aspx?d=223

I would love to find Ds a great car. I'll be watching this thread with interest. Just wondering, what is the $80 car? I'd love to see a link.

aidansmommy
12-12-2007, 02:47 PM
The $80 car is called the Terrainiac, I think it's made by Tyco. Ds just saw this on a commercial and I had no idea what he what car he wanted...he said it had one big wheel and could drive on land or in the water. I posted here about a month ago to see if anyone knew what he was talking about and one mommy here knew just what it was. It claims it can run on road as well as in grass, snow, and even on water. This product must be pretty new though because there aren't many reviews on Amazon or anyplace else for it but the reviews are mixed. One mother said it wouldn't run on their flat lawn and another said it drove well in a corn field. I was also concerned about the battery life...I read that they need to be changed every 15 minutes.

We also have had a few other rc cars that broke within a few uses. I would spend the money for this one he wants if I knew for sure it would work well and hold up for long time. But like I said, I'll be crying if I spend that much money on toy and it breaks before New Year's! I'm hoping to hear from some happy remote control car owners!