PDA

View Full Version : Bank error just made me lose my mind for a minute

kijip
12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Imagine my utter panic when I find my bank balance almost $1000 down from where it should be. There was a mystery check on the online log for that entire amount. I checked my registers going back 6 months and no check was written for the amount, no image of the check is coming up on my computer screen like it should and I have no recollection of buying anything that expensive. Since it was less than my mortgage by a noticeable amount and about $500-800 more than my typical check I was thinking something was up for sure. Then, my memory fell back to evil house guests form the summer that I have the restraining order against (in the BP sometime back in August) and thinking that they must have gotten their hands on my new account number somehow and made themselves a check or something (since I have had to freeze our credit file and have a card application I did not make closed and investigated so I know fraud is not a taboo for them). I was thinking I was going to have to close my account again and shift over all our auto pays...big headache. Then the bank opens, I call and they have no idea and say they will call me back. A few more hours of panic later, they call me back and say it was a 10-key error, they drew the funds for someone else's check out of my account by mistake.

Breathing big fat sigh of relief now. :)

Sillygirl
12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
pak - i remember those houseguests of yours - if you need to lock down your CR again maybe look at Lifelock.com? nothing you can't do yourself but makes it much easier.