PDA

View Full Version : Seriously rude peds office staff

Sillygirl
12-12-2007, 08:47 AM
I've visited our new pediatrician's office twice. The first time I was very unimpressed with the doctor's manner with the kids. The second time I got the new ped, and she was charming, BUT it took two hours for a well-baby checkup and nobody apologized. So I thought I would check out the other pediatrician's office in town.

I go to the old ped's office today (it's in the same building as mine) and ask to have Jonathan's records sent to the new peds office. At first the receptionist (who was talking to me while holding the phone to her ear) thought I was filling out forms to get more records sent to her, and was all smiles. But then I nicely told her that actually, I was still trying out different doctors, and needed the records sent across town. She glared at me and said "Well, you can have them, but then we won't see your child again at this office. Ever." I raised an eyebrow at her and asked "Really?" And she glared more and said "That's right." Then she asked if I was working tomorrow and told me I could pick them up then, then turned her back on me.

Well, that made that decision easy, didn't it? I've never heard of such a thing. I don't really understand burning your bridges with patients in such a way, especially when they're the children of one of the doctors in the same medical office building, but whatever. If I bump into the nicer ped in the hospital I may let her know just exactly how horrid her receptionist is.

elephantmeg
12-12-2007, 09:07 AM
wow, that's incredibly rude

Marisa6826
12-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Wow. I wonder if the Ped is aware that her front office staff is like that.

Interesting policy. I'd love to know the reason behind it. Thankfully, I love my Ped. I've had my full share of not so great ones, though.

Hugs, Katie. I hope you find a good one soon!

-m

octmom
12-12-2007, 11:01 AM
What a b!tch! You should definitely say something to the nicer doc the next time you see her. That is really awful.

LarsMal
12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Oooohhh...nasty woman!!! I would definitely tell someone about her behavior. Do they have an office manager?

Rude people suck!

jerigirl
12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I would definitely write a letter to the office manager explaining about the rude receptionist and the 2 hour visit and thus why you are going elsewhere. They need to know these things. Just my 2 cents.

jeri

kijip
12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Let the doctors know. They are likely totally unaware to what their front end staff is costing them. We switched peds not because of the doctor (who was pretty darn good!) but because of the nursing staff and the receptionist/front end peeps. After we wrote a letter, the doctors were able to smooth out some of the customer service issues with the front end staff and I think one was even let go (we were not the only complaint). Still, we never went back (liked new place WAY better) but I feel good that maybe some change came for the other families at that practice.

maestramommy
12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Man, what a bee-yatch! I would definitely let the nice ped know. And ask if there's such a policy and if so why.

dr mom
12-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Good grief, I would be horrified if my staff did anything so rude!

The PROPER response to a patient's request for records is to politely inquire as to the reason for the transfer. For any reason other than a patient moving out of the area, there needs to be some follow-up. Was the wait time unacceptable? The doctors not up to par? The office not clean? Unable to reach anyone after hours? Or were the staff so freakin' RUDE that you wouldn't set foot in that office again even if they were the only pediatricians within a three-hour-radius of your house? What a bee-yotch!

I've asked my medical records clerk to notify me anytime a patient transfers records to another physician in town, so that I can follow up with them personally. You might want to give the nice pedi a heads-up about what's happening at her front desk...she'll probably be mortified. I would definitely appreciate knowing if I had a problem employee poisoning my waiting room, and it's always better to hear it from a fellow physician than the attorney of a disgruntled patient.

pb&j
12-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Holy cow! I do hope you let the docs know how disrespectfully you were treated.

elizabethkott
12-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Ptttttttttttthhhhhhhhh.
I blow raspberries in her general direction.
Stoopid lady!
:)

MamaMolly
12-13-2007, 12:26 AM
YYYYYEEEEEOOOOCCCCCCHHHH!

What a nasty nasty cow! I'd be sure to tell the doctor, nice one or not. I might even call up and ask him/her to justify the 'policy'. Way to toss that Hippocratic oath under the bus!

And my little BTDT, my mom and Stepdad had an awful visit with the nurse at their Drs office. It was pretty much the visit where they found out that his skin cancer was now inoperable (he fought like a trooper for years) and was fatal. When Mom and John asked for a hospital bed for the house, the nurse was belligerant told them the only way they'd get it is if John went home to Hospice.
Lousy way to learn you're dying.
Mom spoke to the doc, and they refused to see the nurse again. She didn't last 2 more months at the practice, too many people complained!

Sorry you had the run in, but it sounds like you are getting some great advice. Now go call that doc!

Sillygirl
12-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Update: DH took J to his annual checkup at the new peds office and thought the guy was great. He also thinks I'm going to really like him as well. They gave out a bunch of material about their practice, all written by the docs themselves, with no formula or drug company sponsorship. There's a few bits of information about BFing I think are a little outdated, but the practice philosophy overall seems great. We'll switch Alex over ASAP.

We did go back to old peds office for Alex's second flu shot. I always insist on holding the boys on my lap for shots. It helps lessen their fear and anxiety. The old peds office was the only place that ever gave me a hard time about it. So today, the nurse comes in and is all "Oh, yeah, I remember you like to hold them" like it's a bit of an inconvenience for her, but she'll humor me. Alex got the shot and frowned at her, then turned to play with my button. She said "Wow, you're not even going to cry at all?" Duh - perhaps not putting the baby spread eagle on the exam table for a shot might actually be a good thing?

So thankful this other practice in town seems like a good fit.

mommy_someday
12-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Oh, good grief! I'm so glad you found a new place that is going to be more comfortable for your family. I've worked the reception/CS end of a doc's office before and no way would the treatment you received at the first office have flown! There'd have been disciplinary action if not outright firing. There is just no excuse! I hope you let the docs know how poorly you were treated by the staff. Staff members are the first impression of the office. The docs would be shooting themselves in the foot to let things continue in that manner.