PDA

View Full Version : What do you spend on b'day gifts?

hillview
12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
We moved in October and DS has been invited to our next door neighbor's children's birthday parties (1 party for a 5 year old girl and 3 year old twins). How much do you spend? I honestly have no idea other then I don't want to be cheap and I don't want to look like I am trying to spend too much (KWIM?). I was thinking of a haba stringers ($15) and a $25 GC for the local book store each for the twins -- is that over the top? That'd be $40 for each of the twins and the similar for the girl??

Edited to add I don't think DS will be really close with the kids next door but we will be living next to them for several years I would think!
HELP!
/hillary

firstbaby
12-12-2007, 12:02 PM
In our area, people spend all over the spectrum. *I* try to spend $10-15 per child and have gone up to $20-25 for close friends of DS. Though, I tend to shop sales / TJMaxx type places so the gift may be "valued" more than I spend. I also try to get things that are a little unique (like the stringing beads you mentioned) and I try not to buy license character gifts.

Just for comparision, we are always invited to our next door neighbors kids' birthday parties and usually spend $15 per child. They are 2 and 4 years older than DS.

Marisa6826
12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I think it depends on how well you know the kid/family.

If it's just a basic classmate/neighbour, $15-20. If it's a good friend or family, well, maybe up to $40-50?

When it's twins, etc. I don't think you can honestly be expected to go crazy, especially if you are only acquaintances. I wouldn't go over $15. You can get a couple board books and some playdough or crayons for each twin and call it a day.

For the little girl, get a Haba stringer, and maybe some barrettes for her hair. You know, little fillers that don't have to be spendy.

I think that with little kids, it's more about *quantity* rather than what the stuff actually is, kwim?

-m

ETA - Sophie's birthday was last weekend and one of the presents she loved most was from her classmate. It was a pair of "big girl" fleece separates-type 2 piece jammies (I saw them at Target the other day) and a Crayola Colour Explosion pack. I think the entire present was $15, but it was still one of the coolest ones.

kijip
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
$10-15 for most kids (Toby gets asked to a lot of parties, can't spend too much :) ). $25ish or even a little more for the kids we are very close to (the ones whose parents come for dinner, we exchange babysitting on a last minute basis, share holidays with etc). Often, like the pp said, the gifts look more expensive than they are since I shop sales and stock up.

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2007, 01:06 PM
School friend or acquaintance? $10-15
Slightly better friend (or someone I have an actual gift idea for that is a bit more expensive) $15-20
Good friend $20-30

Beth

Tondi G
12-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I would say typically 20 bucks. If it is a child we know really well sometimes more. Occasionally I will spend less but it is cause I buy something on sale or at Costco etc where the value is typically higher!

It's really what you are comfortable with and what your budget allows!

bunnisa
12-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I spend anywhere from $5 - $20, but I buy ahead and on clearance (hooray for Amazon sales!), so the value is usually $35+.

citymama
12-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Usually around $15-20, unless they're very close friends or family. I think what you're suggesting is extremely generous, maybe too much so! For 3 kids, a total of $50 is probably fine, or $15 gift card each.

dotgirl
12-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Honestly, I try to keep it around $20 - for one thing, I don't have enough money to spend $20 X all the relative and classmate birthday's DS goes to .. and I don't want any other parents to feel uncomfortable if I spend too much, you know?

Kungjo
12-13-2007, 12:46 AM
If we're invited to a birthday by a school friend that she plays with occassioally, I try to spend about $15. If it's a close friend, I spend about $25-40. Just depends.

C99
12-13-2007, 12:51 AM
School friend: $10-15
Good friend: $15-25
Really good friend: $25-$50