PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the evaluations! Now a no-show

LarsMal
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
DS has articulation issues. He has a good vocabulary, you just can't understand a word he says! We started the speech process four months ago. At the rec of our ped we went the private route first only to find out insurance wouldn't cover his services- shocker!!! So then we started the county process. They technically had 45 days from the day I called to get services started. Yeah, it's been about three months now.

Today was his first session. I didn't expect the SLP to jump right in, but instead of doing any sort of intervention-type work she did- yep- another evaluation!!! She said the one the county did isn't as detailed as what she does, so she did it again, only to say the SAME thing the other two evals have said.

I swear, the kid is going to be 5 before we get things going! :mad:

kijip
12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I had a very similar issue as a child. Huge vocabulary, talked a lot but no one understood me. ((hugs)) Therapy is extremely effective once it starts. I started at age 4 and continued till age 10. It was helpful to have the ongoing coaching as my vocabulary and grade level advanced. I was able to attend a typical kindergarten just fine.

Here's hoping they get going right away now. :) The therapist likely wanted to create her own plan for tackling the most pressing sounds for your son.

DrSally
12-13-2007, 04:13 PM
I agree. I know you're anxious to get started with the actual therapy, but a good eval by the treating provider should help her develop a focused plan. It lays the foundation for setting goals and types of interventions. Sometimes another professional's evaluation isn't sufficient in info to start a treatment plan. Let's hope it was just one session of eval and then she'll get started! I think it can help a lot.

LarsMal
12-19-2007, 12:10 PM
So last week I was irked that the SLP did yet another eval. She was a few minutes late last week and as she left (after only about 40 minutes so she wouldn't be late for her NEXT client) she said, "I won't be late next week!!"

So, I guess not showing at all is technically not late! Grrr...maybe we should've just sucked it up and paid the out of pocket rate for private services. Our county experience so far as been anything but smooth. And, of course, DS is the one who suffers from not getting the services he needs.

Grrr....

o_mom
12-19-2007, 01:15 PM
If your EI services are like our, I had to sign every visit that they received the services. It would list the exact time she came and left and the number of minutes of service. If she only did 40 min of service, she should only get paid for 40 min. The no-show should be rescheduled, but if it continues to be a problem, call your service coordinator and let them know that you are not receiving services. If that doesn't resolve it, you should have the option of switching to another provider.

DrSally
12-19-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree. That's not right. I know they have to drive around from place to place, but each client should not be shortchanged. AND if you did not get an hour's worth of services, she should not be billing for an hour.