PDA

View Full Version : Pottery Barn - Horrible Customer Service

steph4800
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I ordered a Pottery Barn crib in August (the crib was backordered until September 25) and for some reason, it got lost in the shuffle (literally lost in a warehouse) until early November - despite my numerous phone calls and emails to Pottery Barn. Finally, in November, 2 people apparently hired by Pottery Barn (the nearest PB to me is over 600 miles) came to deliver the crib and assemble it (both fees totaled a reasonable $50). My crib looked really cute in the nursery until I went through the instructions (only assembly instructions were sent with my crib - As a first time mother, I still have no idea what the features of the crib are nor how to operate it) and noticed that the PB crew assembled the crib incorrectly (the front panel was on backwards, which led me to believe, what else is wrong?). In addition, there were a number of nuts and bolts just laying in the crib after the crew left. I informed PB of this latest issue with the crib and they promised to send someone to fix it - naturally, I haven't heard from anyone. I plan to have my dad completely take the crib apart and reassemble it as my baby is coming very soon and I can no longer wait on PB.

Just wanted you to know that while the crib is darling, PB's customer service has been horrible. Yes, they've responded to my e-mails, but it's always been a canned apology with a pipe dream solution (we'll send someone out - but they never really show up). A crib's safety is of critical importance to me and PB sending an unknowledgeable crew to assemble a crib I spent $700 on is horrible. Had I known this, I would have arranged for my dad to assemble it in the first place. I hope, after all of this inconvenience that the crib proves to be completely safe and comfortable for my new baby.

Update: I emailed PB one last time and received a phone call (voice mail) saying that they would essentially do anything I wanted just to alleviate the situation. I'm really not interested in having to deal with PB any more at this point.

Drag0nflygirl
12-12-2007, 07:23 PM
At the very least you should get your assembly fee back. I'm sorry you had to deal with so many issues!
Nancy

Tondi G
12-12-2007, 08:47 PM
YUP! You should 100% be getting your assembly fee returned to you but honestly for all your trouble I would be asking for some monetary compensation.... in the realm of say 15% to 20% discount on your total price payed to them! Maybe call them back and say I would like some kind of discount on my purchase. I am just not sure what is fair and at this point I would honestly return the crib for my money back but now don't have the time to wait on another crib to be delivered because my baby is due very soon. Let them make a suggestion on what they think is fair.... they will probably come back with 10% and I would say I was thinking more along the lines of 20% and see what they have to say.

That is rediculous! We bought a bunk bed set from PBK and the guys who showed up to put it together knew exactly what they were doing and had that thing put together in minutes!!!!

I hope you get something for your trouble. Considering all the issues with cribs and such you would think they would make sure the people assembling for them put it together correctly. If something happened to your baby and they got caught in the rail or who knows what could happen they would have a serious lawsuit on their hands!!!!

Good Luck

ThreeofUs
12-12-2007, 10:55 PM
I can't believe they assembled a crib incorrectly and then just left. Don't they realize the massive liability they created for their company, if nothing else?

You should be getting more than just compensation for this. They should be grovelling at your feet to get their good name back.

I'd tell them they have caused you considerable trouble and distress. Mention that you post on this board and I would be willing to bet they'll do whatever they can to get you to post an update. They *should* comp you the assembly and the crib. No company needs this type of PR.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this - but thank goodness you took a look at the assembly!

kusumat
12-13-2007, 03:18 AM
We had similar problem with Bellini. The crew fixed it but let the scratch on the rail. I felt uncomfortable and demanded the new one. I went to the store later that day and got the promise in writing that they would deliver the new one as soon as they received it. I kept followed up with them for two months/ had the difficult time reaching the manager and finally found out that the store was closed!

Fortunately, we got everything in writing and disputed the charge through the credit card company. Well, we got the crib for free ($700+125 shipping and assembling) but I would be more happy to get the crib in the perfect condition.

I would recommend you going to the store where you purchased the item. Talk to the manager and complaint loudly enough that other customers can hear you(you may get discounts) but most important get everything in writing.