PDA

View Full Version : Toys to help with crawling

mtrattner
12-13-2007, 01:29 AM
DD2 is about to start crawling. Looking for toys that motivate her or will keep her interest when she is crawling. Also any other gift ideas for 9 month old girl would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

brittone2
12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
When I worked as a physical therapist in early intervention, I learned quickly that the absolute biggest motivators are the typical "no no" items. A remote control, a pair of eyeglasses, etc. You just have to be ready to get it back out of their hands or help them handle it carefully. But for a huge amount of motivation, those things can be amazing. My DD loved trying to crawl for my water glass or coffee mug, because they were two things she generally wasn't allowed to hold by herself at the time.

I honestly don't think there's a particular toy that works for most/all kids, but I think something they don't see often and is really intriguing can sometimes do the trick. Just be ready to help them handle it gently when they get there so said item doesn't break!

ETA gift ideas:
Wagon
Walker wagon like Haba or Radio Flyer walker wagon (both are nice and sturdy)
Haba wonderdice or other soft blocks
small doll (like Nicki baby, Rainbow baby, a towel doll, or a pouch doll)
http://www.blueberryforest.com/baby_treasures/kathe_kruse_rainbow_baby.htm
scroll down at the link below to see a towel baby, Nicki, Guggli, etc.
http://www.blueberryforest.com/kathe_kruse/kathe_kruse_dolls.htm

Pull toy like Haba big Voyage or similar

Ring stacker
nesting bowls/stacking cups

CDs
Musical instruments (with supervision)
Playsilks for peek a boo

DD just got the Haba Kugelbahn/Ball Track Rock N Roll for her 1st bday and loves it!! It would be something to grow into (you'd probably be doing most of the placing of the balls on the track at first)

Other bigger items/ things to grow into:
Kinderzeat/Tripp Trapp
Learning tower (DS started using around 15ish months?)

HTH!

ahrimie
12-15-2008, 03:04 PM
there's this ball by vtech that moves, made for crawlers.. i just bought one today at tru. i also got the laugh and learn home from all the rave reviews here. merry christmas! :P

sste
12-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Kids Preferred Amazing sound balls (currently half price at babycenter.com).

I hate to say it but with our DS it seems like 95% of when he does things is hard-wired, nothing we did seemed to make much of a difference.

tny915
12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
DD is starting to crawl. The one thing that really gets her going is my laptop. She will pull and drag herself across the room and over all obstacles for the chance to bang on the keyboard. Not a toy, but it's been a great motivator to get her going.

She also loves the FP Ocean Wonders Aquarium crib toy. We have an older model from 5 years ago, and we play with it on the floor. I've generally found that the more lights and music and sounds that a toy has, the more she gravitates to it.