PDA

View Full Version : Marathon vs. Blvd. vs. Decath vs. Regent

daranaco
12-13-2007, 10:02 AM
I am looking to buy one last and final car seat for my 3 y.o. son. He's 39" and 36 lbs. I am set on a Britax but I cannot decide which model to purchase. I'll be using it in a 2005 Chevy Impala. There is so much information out there that I am completely overwhelmed. Can anyone offer suggestions as to which model is the best to purchase?

Thanks!
Danielle

Joolsplus2
12-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Well, this will be your final *harnessed* seat...you'll still need to buy a booster after this, because kids need to be in boosters till at least 4 foot 9 (age 10-12, depending if they are tall or short).

Ok, enough of the speech :)

What seat is he in now? Why are you shopping for a new one?

divingdave
12-14-2007, 10:45 AM
We've researched this and had the Britax infant seat. The boulavard is more expensive, but it will last longer taking larger kids. Most important is the ease of adjusting the straps. The boulavard has knobs that you turn to adjust the straps allowing more positions, comfort for child and ease for parents. All the others require you to take the straps out and move them to preset positions. Those straps don't come out or go back in very easy. Also, this model will work fine as a booster seat. By the time your child has outgrown this model they probably won't want to be in a seat anymore.

maestramommy
12-14-2007, 11:16 AM
I was under the impression that the MA, DC, and BLVD are essentially the same seat, the only difference being the infant inserts and headrests. Is that not the case? I mean, the adjustment mechanisms might be different, but aren't the dimensions and height/weight limits the same?

Joolsplus2
12-14-2007, 12:09 PM
I was under the impression that the MA, DC, and BLVD are essentially the same seat, the only difference being the infant inserts and headrests. Is that not the case? I mean, the adjustment mechanisms might be different, but aren't the dimensions and height/weight limits the same?

Yes, they are all basically the same (the BV is effectively a bit shorter because the headrest makes the top 'slot' half an inch shorter...it will still get most kids to age 5 or 6 and ready for a booster.

They aren't actually tested to 65 miles per hour in Europe...the ECE tests are quite similar to ours, just a few little things are different (must have EPS foam and seatbelt lockoffs, which have carried over to the US models despite them not being required here)

tarynsmum
12-14-2007, 12:21 PM
We've researched this and had the Britax infant seat. The boulavard is more expensive, but it will last longer taking larger kids. Most important is the ease of adjusting the straps. The boulavard has knobs that you turn to adjust the straps allowing more positions, comfort for child and ease for parents. All the others require you to take the straps out and move them to preset positions. Those straps don't come out or go back in very easy. Also, this model will work fine as a booster seat. By the time your child has outgrown this model they probably won't want to be in a seat anymore.

Just chiming in because I didn't want any misinformation out there: The Boulevard, Marathon, and Decathlon are made from the same shell: the harness heights are essentially the same height, features are different (the Decathlon comes with the infant insert, the Boulevard has the TSIP wings (which is NOT a headrest), etc. NONE OF THESE SEATS CAN BECOME A BOOSTER! I cannot stress this enough. You will need 100% to purchase a booster once the Marathon/Boulevard/Decathlon is outgrown, and will have to use that booster until your child can successfully past the 5 step test. The only seat you may possibly be able skip the booster stage is the Regent (POSSIBLY) - it harnesses to 80 pounds, has one of the highest harness slots on the market, and will probably last your son the longest out of the options you presented. It does NOT convert into a booster once the harness is outgrown. Because of his age and weight, I think you would be wasting your money with a convertible seat (you won't be able to use it rear-facing, unless you're wanting to pass the seat down to another child at some point). The Regent will keep your son harnessed for the longest amount of time. Other options for you to think about and consider would be the Cosco Apex (harnesses to 65 pounds, becomes a booster) or the Radian65/80 (harnesses to 65 and 80 pounds respectively, does not become a booster), and the Safeguard Child Seat. The best, safest car seat is one that fits your car, fits your child, and can be used correctly EVERY time.

daranaco
12-15-2007, 05:51 AM
My son is currently in a Britax Roundabout. I've been very happy with it so far. Although may not outgrow it for another year, Grandma and Grandpa have offered to buy him a new one.

I have considered the Safeguard Go seat (because it converts to a booster) but I don't feel comfortable with the amount of information and research I have found regarding the seat's safety and ease of use.

I'd love to hear any opinions of that seat vs. the Britax seats.

Kindra178
12-16-2007, 07:49 PM
What is the 5 step test?

Joolsplus2
12-17-2007, 11:52 AM
What is the 5 step test?

It's what you do to make sure your child is big/mature enough to sit safely in the adult seatbelt...here's a link:
http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm (I also like a sixth step: make sure their feet rest on the vehicle floor...if kids have dangling legs, they will scootch down to get them on the floor, and the lapbelt will ride up over the abdomen...if their feet are already naturally on the floor, then the belt will stay low on the lap all the time)

For most kids this happens at 4 foot 9 or so (depending on whether they are leggy or long torsoed, and also depending on the car... a small third row seat might fit properly as young as 7, a large captain's chair might not fit them till 12).

jeno
12-17-2007, 11:37 PM
xxxxxxx

TahliasMom
12-18-2007, 04:22 AM
We have the Boulevard and it will not work as a Booster!!! When your child outgrows it, you will need to purchase a BOOSTER.

And here's my review of the boulevard: i just purchased the boulevard to replace the FP voyage that was totaled in our last car accident. along with that i bought a 08 Rav4. The seat is a monster! LOL. DD (40 inches tall and 36 lbs) was able to climb into the voyage but I have to lift her into the blvd. the base is much higher. Not sure how i feel about the wings yet. I was hoping DD would fall asleep on our last trip so see how she would sleep in her new seat but no luck. she says it's comfy and easy to strap in. those height strap knobs are a life saver since i installed the seat at the police station and then realized oh crap how am i going to adjust the harness? lol DD can snap the top but gets frustrated with the bottom since it doesn't "click" like the voyage.
between the base and the wings i have had to remove the head rest and i have almost zero visibility. but i'm only 5'3 so that might just be a short person issue.

kijip
12-18-2007, 04:37 AM
Also, this model will work fine as a booster seat. By the time your child has outgrown this model they probably won't want to be in a seat anymore.

It is not a booster and it will not last till the child is 4 feet, 9 inches tall as is the law in many (and a growing number) of states. Don't get me wrong, the BV is great (I love my Wizard, the older version of the same seat) but a booster WILL be needed following. The only seat that the OP listed that a child might be able to move directly tot he vehicle seat is the Regent.