PDA

View Full Version : Help with nighttime PT

anamika
12-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi all,
My 3 y.o. has recently been having one or even two accidents per night (after being diaper free for over 8 months, with only a couple of night-time accidents per week). It's getting very tiring for all of us and especially her, to have her sleep interrupted every night. She absolutely refuses to wear a diaper anymore - she says they poke her and is very uncomfortable in them.
We're begging, coaxing, cajoling her to wear a diaper. The nights she does wear one we can all get a good night's sleep.
I'm really not sure how to handle this - should we still push the diapers? I don't want to undo her PTing since I do know she can stay dry. Putting her on the potty at night has very mixed results - some nights she goes back to sleep and some nights she's upset and needs to be lulled back to sleep. Should we just go no diapers till she gets it again?
I was thinking of CDs - are they more like underwear? More comfortable? What would be a good diaper to try for this?
Any other ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks,

american_mama
12-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I've heard some good things about these http://www.fuzzibunzstore.com/Overnight-Undies-by-Mother-of-Eden-p-26.html

mostly for older children, who have sized out of most cloth diapers. A three year old would still fit a lot of cloth, but it might feel bulky and uncomfortable to her since she's used to only underwear. Not sure what cloth diapers to recommend.. maybe a cover and premium prefold if you want to go cheap, or an All-In-One if you want convenience?

Just had a thought... can you bring a little potty into her room, so you can wake and have her use the potty in the middle of the night with minimal lights, movement, and disruption?

anamika
12-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Just had a thought... can you bring a little potty into her room, so you can wake and have her use the potty in the middle of the night with minimal lights, movement, and disruption?

Thanks. I'll check it out. I'm thinking CDs might be better for her - she's really petite too so she might fit the smaller sizes too.
We do use a little potty in her room. We sort of stopped waking her up when she got good at telling us herself but maybe we should be trying that more instead of pushing the diapers.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

eta - Just checked it out. It says not for big wetters - hmmmmmmmmmm, DD does wet her sposie through some nights. Some nights she's still completely dry. Are there any other CDs I should look it? I'm quite new to CDing.

MarisaSF
12-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I don't think cloth is going to be a great answer for you as you said she gets upset when she wakes up wet. I think she will still feel wet in cloth.

However, if you are trying to "train" her to feel wet so that she recognizes the sensations of needing to pee and getting that wet-feeling feedback right away with minimal clean-up needed afterwards, cloth pull-ups might work.

When you say "diapers," do you mean the pull-up type? Those worked well for us during nighttime PT'ing, so that DD could get them on and off herself at night and first thing in the morning.

We never used cloth pull-ups, but the ones I considered were these: http://www.wildflowerdiapers.com/catalog.php?item=201&catid=8&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D8

In retrospect, I with I had gotten them. We kept saying "Only one more package of the disposable Pull-Ups"... and that turned into like 4 months worth which added up!! $$$

anamika
12-13-2007, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=MarisaSF]I don't think cloth is going to be a great answer for you as you said she gets upset when she wakes up wet. I think she will still feel wet in cloth.

/QUOTE]
Hi Marisa,
She usually wakes up soaking wet and we have to change the sheets, her clothes etc - so that's why we all have a hard time going back to sleep and she gets upset.
She had been doing a good job staying dry for months so I'm not sure what's going on there.
Do CDs not keep you dry like a sposie? We use real diapers. The pull-ups don't do a good job.