PDA

View Full Version : Exersaucer--to buy or not to buy

jabelgard
12-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi all.
I'm considering buying an exersaucer--my son LOVES standing, but it can be difficult to accomodate this favorite position all of the time. :0) What are the pros/cons to buying one? If we buy one, are there specific ones that we should consider or stay away from?

Thanks for the guidance!

-Julie

Piglet
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
We have an ancient exersaucer that was passed down from our friends when DS1 was born. It is probably 10 years old and is one of the best baby-related items we have in the house. All 3 kids have gotten so much use out of it. I don't use it for more than 20-30 minutes a day, but it is the perfect place to put DD while I make dinner. She hangs out near me and is happy to play. I like that ours isn't too flashy. No batteries, no lights, etc. Just some simple toys and pictures. I see them all the time in the 2nd hand stores around here. Ours is made by Evenflo.

doodler
12-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi, we also have an ancient exersaucer probably much like the PP because it is also an evenflo low-tech no lights or electronic stuff model. It has now been through four kids and all have really enjoyed it a lot. My son is currently playing with it and loves to be able to reacha bunch of toys and see everyone. I hear that it can delay walking but we haven't found that to be the case here. I can't speak to price since it was a hand-me-down but I agree it has been one of the best peices of baby equipment we own especially from 4-8 months. HTH

bubbaray
12-13-2007, 06:17 PM
I didn't have one with either of the girls and never missed it. I had a Jumperoo that I used with both from about age 4m-6m or so. Given the pretty limited use the Jumperoo got, I can't imagine an exersaucer getting more, but I could be wrong.

I never missed it. If I did get one, I'd borrow from a friend or buy used.

hillview
12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
We used ours for a few months (4 maybe?) and it was great. I used it a couple times a day for about 30 mins (shower, making dinner). I'd say go for it and I wouldn't worry about the exact one -- they all seem fine to me. We have the baby einstein one.
/hillary

tylersmama
12-13-2007, 07:00 PM
I didn't register for one because I didn't think it was really very necessary, but about the time DS outgrew the bouncer, I changed my mind. He really liked it and it was great to put him in while I showered or fixed dinner or whatever.

One piece of advice I would give you is not to spend a ton of money on a brand new one. They are used for such a short time that you can usually find one in really good shape for pretty cheap on craigslist. Mine was a hand-me-down from a friend. I'm very grateful that I got it, but also very grateful that I didn't have to pay full price for it!

elektra
12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I have one of the Fisher Price jumper/bouncers which DD just loves. It's sort of like an excersaucer except they can bounce up and down or just stand there and play with the attached toys.
Ours was new but like everyone is saying, a used one would have worked out just fine too.

o_mom
12-13-2007, 08:36 PM
DS1 and DS2 used it some, but not nearly worth what SIL paid for it (gift to us). Scout resale shops and hit up friends if you want one. It has such a limited time for use (roughly 5-9 months old) since once they can move, most babies don't want to be in it.

Additionally, ours has not even been brought out for DS3. The occupational therapist who worked with him through early intervention strongly recommended that we not use it at all. I know it has been discussed here before and the professional opinions seem to be that for a normally developing baby it could be used no more than 20 min total per day. That time adds up fast if you put them in for a shower, cooking, etc. Studies have shown that they do not help development and can even slow it down.

An alternative that a friend has is the Galt Playnest - not cheap, but maybe you can find a deal on eBay.

deannanb
12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
check out the used toy/clothing stores - (once upon a child, kid to kid)
I know I have seen them when I have been in there... some of them look like new!

brittone2
12-14-2007, 10:12 AM
We never had one for either child and I never really missed it. I worked as a pediatric physical therapist in early intervention pre-kids. There are concerns about whether saucers can lead to postural issues, and possibly lead to a child not walking or reaching other milestones as early as they might have otherwise. Lots of people have used them and their kids are "fine", but any child at risk of any sort of developmental delay, IMO (and 99% of my colleagues) would be better off without one. If you choose to use one, the recommendations other professionals in my field have made for years is no more than 20 mins a day, maximum (which adds up fast with even a few mins here and there), and obviously removing the child before they show signs of fatigue (for younger infants. I've walked in many homes in my working days to find a 4 month old slumped over and exhausted but still stuck in the saucer).

There have been twin studies showing the twin that spent more time in the saucer than the other twin walked, sat, crawled, etc. later than the twin that was not in the saucer. There have also been electromyographic studies (where they hook electrodes to muscles to read their output) showing that standing in a saucer is very different than active standing. The muscles fire in different patterns. The child tend to not engage their "core" muscles (like abs and butt muscles) in the same way, which leads to a sway backed posture, and their balance ends up pushed more toward their tiptoes. There are other concerns, but those are two of the more interesting studies.

That said, in small doses for a kid not at risk of delays, it probably isn't a big deal. But if you aren't sure about spending the $, or having a big old piece of plastic around, you can feel okay about skipping it too IMO. They don't enhance development. They are a baby holding device. If you need another place to plop your kid for a few mins, they work for a lot of people. The problem is they can be hard to use in moderation because they are so convenient, kwim?

LarsMal
12-14-2007, 10:37 AM
The exersaucer is the one thing I didn't get off my registry when I had DS. I ended up borrowing an ancient one from a friend. When DD was born I borrowed one from a different friend. Both were fine, the ancient one was an Evenflow and the current one is the Baby Einstein one. I was going to give it back recently, but both DS and DD still enjoy playing with it. The stand on the outside of it and play with the toys.

I'd say borrow one if you can. If not, don't spend a whole lot on it. They don't need all the bells and whistles. The simple ones are great, too!

AbbysMom
12-14-2007, 11:10 AM
exersaucer + teletubbies = mommy's shower :)

CiderLogan
12-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Definitely borrow or buy used. They are nice for quite a short time and a pain to store.

I second the Jumperoo suggestion -- both my girls liked the Jumperoo tons more than our (hand-me-down) exersaucer.

ajmom
12-14-2007, 03:51 PM
They are a baby holding device. If you need another place to plop your kid for a few mins, they work for a lot of people.
Bingo! Exactly why I missed having one for DD!! :) I used one w/ DS1 and DS2, but got rid of it when we thought we might not have anymore children. DD is 13 months old and, while I'm not going to spend the $$ on one now, I do wish that I'd had one. Cooking dinner, in particular, is difficult b/c DD either wants to be held or she wants to crawl into the boys' room to play with their toys, but since I can't supervise her I don't want her in there... Other chores I can do when she's sleeping, but there are sometimes I need her entertained in a safe, contained spot... A PNP might do the trick, but it isn't as easily moved as an exersaucer.

rgors
12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
There have been twin studies showing the twin that spent more time in the saucer than the other twin walked, sat, crawled, etc. later than the twin that was not in the saucer. There have also been electromyographic studies (where they hook electrodes to muscles to read their output) showing that standing in a saucer is very different than active standing. The muscles fire in different patterns. The child tend to not engage their "core" muscles (like abs and butt muscles) in the same way, which leads to a sway backed posture, and their balance ends up pushed more toward their tiptoes. There are other concerns, but those are two of the more interesting studies.

Is this also true for a "Jumperoo"? I know the ones that hang from the doorway are unsafe but I am wondering about the stationary ones.

brittone2
12-14-2007, 04:17 PM
nak-
yes. W/ any sort of jumper, even stationary, I personally have even more concerns.

lisams
12-14-2007, 05:42 PM
We have one that I use for DS while I take a shower. It stays in my bathroom, so it's really the only time it gets used. IMO it's great for those 15 minutes that I need (and yes, it's a need - I'm a grumpy mommy if I don't have that time to get myself ready for the day).

Now that DS is cruising, he loves to walk *around* it. It's great for that stage because it's sturdy enough that it won't tip while they hold on and walk around/play with the toys. So really, it can be used for several months if you look at it that way.

I agree with getting one at a second hand store. The older ones are so much better and of course cheaper. Plus, it's one less huge piece of plastic going to the dump where it will sit forever.

mimieliza
12-14-2007, 05:54 PM
We loved both the Exersaucer and the Jumperoo. I got the Jumperoo for a steal from a thrift store ($11). We bought the Exersaucer new because we wanted the Baby Einstein one. Definitely one of our better purchases - DD used it regularly from three months to ten months. She still (at 13 months) loves to jump in the Jumperoo.

hbridge
12-14-2007, 06:12 PM
We didn't have an exersaucer or a jumperoo and I can't say I ever missed it. DC would sit in her bouncer while I showered and when she outgrew that she would be in her gated playroom across the hall from the bathroom. In the kitchen she was in the pack n play with some toys while I cooked, ect.

mamicka
12-14-2007, 08:49 PM
I've walked in many homes in my working days to find a 4 month old slumped over and exhausted but still stuck in the saucer).

Oh, Beth - how sad. That image breaks my heart.

We didn't have one & didn't miss it. During showers, DS is in the bouncer. While cooking, he's in the highchair.

brittone2
12-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes, sadly I've seen it far too many times. I understand, especially now that I'm a mom...you just get busy. One more thing, then one more thing, oh, and one last thing I want to get done...and by then baby is slumped over and fatigued, or just has been in too long in general (IMO). That's part of what is tough with them. Even if you support their use in moderation, they are hard to use in moderation, kwim? It is just human nature.

We always used the bouncey seat so I could shower. When DS/DD got too active for that, it was the PNP or DD's preferred seat in an extra high chair that we have in the bathroom (easier to move around than the PNP. It stays upstairs, and we have a 2nd high chair that she uses for eating downstairs).

Canna
12-15-2007, 05:07 PM
We borrowed one and were pretty happy to give it back. DD never enjoyed it much and it took up a lot of room in our apartment. We're expecting #2 and I would definitely not buy a new one. Hopefully we'll get by without one. If I feel we really need one, I'd borrow or buy used. The consignment/Once Upon a Child stores have gazillion of them.

giavila
12-15-2007, 06:42 PM
We never had either. At the time we lived in a much smaller house so we were limited to a portable swing and a bouncer. I usually used the bouncer just really quick so I can shower and the swing any other time I needed to take care of something. Once they outgrew those 2 things I used to put them in their highchair with some crackers or some toys and that would entertain them for a while.

glenda