PDA

View Full Version : OT: Board games for Adults

giavila
12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Hello.

I was wondering what games you would recommend for Adults. I have Scattergories, Catchphrase and Cranium. I like that Scattergories and Catchprase aren't long games so that is a definite plus! We have the electronic Catchprase so I also like that it doesn't need a board or a bunch of cards. I want to get one more... I'm thinking Apples to Apples, but wanted to check with all of you because I always get great feedback. What other game (for Adults) is a must have?

MommytoEliana
12-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Settlers of Catan! It's for 3-4 players, but you can find instructions online for a 2-player version, and you can buy an extension pack to play with 6 players. It's a German-created game that has won a bunch of awards, and it is highly addictive. Because of the way it is designed, the game is slightly different each time. Time ranges from 30 minutes to over two hours, in our experience. But it's fun! :-)

Cheri

missym
12-13-2007, 07:37 PM
For 2 players:
Master Labyrinth (Ravensburger)
Carcassonne: The Castle
Lost Cities
Cathedral
Odin's Ravens
Othello

For more players:
Guillotine
Settlers of Catan
Carcassone

willow33
12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
I would recommend Balderdash! It's lots of fun and definitely gets you laughing.

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Dh and I are always looking for good 2 player games.

Carcassone
Apples to Apples
Robo Rally
Scene It

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Settlers of Catan! It's for 3-4 players, but you can find instructions online for a 2-player version, and you can buy an extension pack to play with 6 players. It's a German-created game that has won a bunch of awards, and it is highly addictive. Because of the way it is designed, the game is slightly different each time. Time ranges from 30 minutes to over two hours, in our experience. But it's fun! :-)

Cheri

I didn't know you could modify it for 2 players. It is one of the only games we don't have that has really good feedback. Now I know what to get dh! :)

Beth

MommytoEliana
12-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Beth, if you can't find the two-person variation online, let me know and I'll send you the instructions for how we play it.

Cheri

missym
12-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Here is the link to a great site for board and card game reviews.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com

The site can be a little overwhelming at first, but I really like the lists folks put together on their favorite games (called GeekLists). For example, "What is your Favorite Game to Play with Two Players?"
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14022

bubbaray
12-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Guess I'm old school. Trivial pursuit & Pictionary. Scrabble (though I suck at it).

JustMe
12-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Not a board game, but one of my favorites is Taboo. You play in teams (can have as many as you want on a team) and teams take turns giving each other clues to guess a word that is on the card. You can talk, but cannot use any of about 5 words (that are very related to the main word and that you normally would use for that word) that are also listed on the card.

fivi2
12-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Here is the link to a great site for board and card game reviews.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com

The site can be a little overwhelming at first, but I really like the lists folks put together on their favorite games (called GeekLists). For example, "What is your Favorite Game to Play with Two Players?"
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14022

I just spent about an hour on that boardgame geek site! There are so many cool games out there... and we almost never play games! This site may change that... Thanks for the link :)

giavila
12-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Thank you so much for all the responses! I knew you would all have great suggestions! I plan to take a good look at that website and based on all that has been recommended, I might have to get a couple of new games ; )

thanks again!

glenda

caleymama
12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Not terribly interesting, but we like Yahtzee. Easy for 2 players.