PDA

View Full Version : M&D Deluxe(?) Art Easel

bubbaray
12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
DH picked up DD#1 a M&D Art Easel (is it the deluxe? large? what is the difference??) and the accessory package yesterday.

She has tons of paint brushes already, we have little paint cups (actually, I use plastic baby food containers), Crayola washable paints and finger paints, as well as a plastic smock.

Anything else? I was thinking of something for the floor (EEK!). oilcloth???? We have hardwood. She's never used an easel before, only ever painted at at table.

Not sure what the heck to do with our (still unused) Step2 easel and WHY on earth DH bought her an easel when she already has one she's never used/seen.... Maybe I'll give it to her daycare?

Or should I keep it so DD#2 could use it? DD#1 will be 4 in April, DD#2 will be 1 in January -- will they be close enough in age that I'll ever use/need TWO easels????? Or will DD#1 be out of the easel phase by the time DD#2 is into it????

TIA

new_mommy25
12-13-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't think you need two easels. My kids are able to use one just fine. There are clips so you can put paper on both sides. The M&D is great because you can adjust either side to different heights. We have ours on the lowest height for DD and the medium height for DS. I think donating to day care is a great idea.

bubbaray
12-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks. I think I will send it along to daycare, I'm sure they will get a lot of use out of if there.

What accessories (other than the M&D accessory pack) do I need????

TIA

Neatfreak
12-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Do you have paper on a roll?

My DD received the M&D easel last Christmas, and I am still on the hunt for good quality chalk. Or maybe it just needs a better quality chalk board ...

bubbaray
12-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Do you have paper on a roll?

My DD received the M&D easel last Christmas, and I am still on the hunt for good quality chalk. Or maybe it just needs a better quality chalk board ...

I think it comes with a roll of paper (either in the easel or with the accessory pack DH got -- I asked him to get a roll and he said it came with one).

Does the Ikea paper roll fit????

Chalk? OMG, you mean I need to research chalk now too, not just strollers and car seats??!

ellies mom
12-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Chalk? OMG, you mean I need to research chalk now too, not just strollers and car seats??!

I just buy sidewalk chalk for DD's easel. She was two when we bought the easel so at the time it was easier for her to hold. Now I buy it because it breaks less easily than regular chalk.

One tip I read but ended up not needing was to "prime" the chalkboard ahead of time. Basically, if the chalkboard doesn't work well, you cover the whole thing with chalk and then erase and repeat until it does work well. I bought some regular chalk to do it but the chalkboard worked fine.

I usually keep chalk and colored pencils at the easel at all times and then pull out paint for supervised art time.

bubbaray
12-14-2007, 01:23 PM
We have lots of sidewalk chalk. I'll see how that works. Thanks for the tip!

Prime the chalkboard?! Man, this easel is turning out to be a lot of work, LOL!

Neatfreak
12-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Maybe I ought to do the "priming" routine. Even our sidewalk chalk is hard to see on it.

And the Ikea paper definitely fits the easel!

new_mommy25
12-16-2007, 02:03 PM
We use the sidewalk chalk with the pointed tips. I think it is Crayola and it comes in a bucket. Those are the easiest to use. I haven't had any issues with the chalk board. I just covered it in white chalk and erased and it's worked great. We use the Alex wooden eraser. It's the best that I have found. http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toys-Wooden-Eraser/dp/B000BN8XPA

Jen841
12-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Seriously had a hard time finding this. I think I got it at Office Depot.

Bought Tempra paints when they go on sale for $1 at A C Moore.

We use IKEA paper now.

I have a vinyl tablecloth under ours.

We not have dedicated "paint shirts".

Hung clothes line in the basement to hang out works of art.

I also but the foam brushes 15 for $1 when on sale and we are getting low. When they get grimy I toss them. We don't have a sink in the basement, so sometimes the kids get clean before the brushes too. Priorities!