PDA

View Full Version : If it's MY car, why do YOU have veto power?

JoyNChrist
12-14-2007, 05:05 AM
So DH is royally pissing me off these days.

We recently decided to downsize one of our vehicles to a car. DH drives a 4-door Chevy Silverado Z-71, and I drive a GMC Yukon. It really doesn't make sense for both of us to have huge gas-guzzlers, so we decided that one had to go. After much discussion, we agreed that it was smarter to trade in DH's truck (since it's a year older than my Yukon and has more miles on it, and we both honestly like the Yukon better). We agreed that DH would take the Yukon, and we'd trade the truck in on a mid-size car for me.

Everything was fine, until we actually started shopping.

Apparently, the fact that we're trading in HIS truck means that DH has veto power, even though the new care is going to be MINE. I've tried to be accomodating and take his opinion into consideration, but he hates everything I really love, and I'm starting to think that we're going to end up with something neither of us is really happy with. At first, I really wanted a Civic Hybrid. But DH immediately vetoed that idea since they're "absolutely hideous" in his opinion. Then he wanted a new Chevy Malibu, but I didn't like the two different ones we test drove. We both kind of liked the Chevy Impala and the Honda Accord, but neither of us was just crazy about them.

But then today, I fell IN LOVE with a Volkswagen Jetta. I mean I literally did not want to get out and give the keys back to the dealer after the test-drive. I wanted to stay and sleep in the car, that's how much I loved it. And from our initial conversation with the salesman, the price sounds like it will work out well with our trade-in. And since DH admitted that he really liked it too, I thought we were set.

But then when we got home, DH said he didn't want to buy it. Why? Because the closest Volkswagen dealer is 2 hours away from our house, and he didn't want to drive that far for repairs if anything went wrong with it.

Hello?! Who cares?! IT'S MY CAR! MINE! And he has never, ever taken the Yukon in to be serviced, so I highly doubt he would ever do so with the Jetta when the time came. And I realize that having the dealer so far away isn't the ideal situation, but did I mention that I (who normally doesn't care much about vehicles one way or another) love love LOVE this car? Like, I couldn't stop petting it while we were standing in the lot talking to the salesman. If this car were a man, DH would have to watch his back, cuz I might run off with it.

But no, HE doesn't want it. Even though he will probably only drive it once a month at most, and even though I've never complained about either of the vehicles he's bought since we've been together.

Men are really aggravating sometimes. :32:

sarahsthreads
12-14-2007, 10:01 AM
You should check to see if there's a closer garage that deals specifically with imports. Our nearest VW dealer is a ways away too, but we have a garage that's less than 10 minutes away that only services VWs, Audi's, etc, and has soooo much better prices than the dealer anyway! We love our Jetta too, so I can understand how you feel about it. ;)

Sarah

LarsMal
12-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Work your magic, girly, and get your Jetta! I agree with the pp who said to check around and see if there is a garage that services VW's. If you can find one then you'll really only need to make the trip when you have routine stuff done.

I heart V-dubs! The first car I ever bought with my own money was a VW Cabrio convertible- oh how I loved that car! Before that I had a Jetta. DH and I shared a car for the first four years of our marriage b/c he took public transportation to work. When he finally needed his own car he wanted a Mazda, but I pushed for a Jetta. He absolutely LOVES his Jetta, and so do I!

Good luck getting your way!

bubbaray
12-14-2007, 12:20 PM
You should check to see if there's a closer garage that deals specifically with imports. Our nearest VW dealer is a ways away too, but we have a garage that's less than 10 minutes away that only services VWs, Audi's, etc, and has soooo much better prices than the dealer anyway! We love our Jetta too, so I can understand how you feel about it. ;)

Sarah

Yeah, that. I had a VW Cabriolet for 13 years -- no, not a typo. VWs are kinda quirky, but its something that VW owners just get used to. I'd definitely find a local shop.

elizabethkott
12-14-2007, 12:57 PM
I LOVED LOVED LOVED my Jetta. I actually cried when DH traded it in. (He took my car when we traded his craptastic pathfinder for my volvo, and he then traded the Jetta (sob!) in for a VW Eos - which is also very cool and fun to drive, but not at all practical by any stretch of the imagination!)
Points for your DH:
- The Jetta is PHENOMINAL in the snow. (ETA: I just noticed where you live. Change "snow" to "humidity".)
- Great gas milage.
- If you take care of your baby - regular oil changes, rotate the tires, etc, it will last a LONG time.
- You can save money by taking it to a local shop for repairs and maintenance. There is nothing written in blood that says that repairs and maintenance must be done at VW.
- Write down for him the last ten times he drove your car. With dates. How often is he *really* going to drive it?
- Price - good! :)
- If he ever wants to have sex again, he will buy you the car.

egfmba
12-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, you could always offer to trade in the Yukon and let him keep his truck. That way the veto power goes away...right? ;)

But really, I like Jettas as well. I think VWs are, in general, reliable cars with great safety records. I think you should sit down and talk to your husband and explain that you want this car and no other and if you can't come to an agreement on this issue you'll (fill in the blank - not trade in, trade in the Yukon, wait, etc. Whatever you feel comfortable doing). I wouldn't budge, because it's really hard to find a car you're absolutely in love with. All cars are not made alike!

Good luck!
eva

Laurel
12-15-2007, 12:39 AM
I love my VW! We never go to the dealer- if you find a local garage that can service you I'm betting it will be cheaper than the dealer!

himom
12-15-2007, 12:56 AM
Maybe he just wants to surprise you for Christmas?

If not, I hope you can get it anyway! If you're driving it, you should be able to choose it. And the Jettas really are cute cars!

(PS If it is a Christmas thing, I hope I didn't blow the surprise!)

Kungjo
12-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Stacy,

I really do think that it should be your decision since you are the one driving it.

Are you still planning to move to CO later next year? I'm not trying to change your choice, but this is just a thought. If you're still going to move to CO, you may want to consider a Subaru for the four wheel drive option. My brother-in-law lives in Denver and he said that more than 50% of the cars there are Subarus. They just traded their truck in for one last year and love it. Just a thought.

HTH

katydid1971
12-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Hey do VW's still have 100K mile warrenties?!?! That would sell my DH who is completely unmechanical and would want to not worry about the car.
HTH

daniele_ut
12-16-2007, 11:07 PM
We went through a similar sort of dilemma a month or so ago when we were looking for a new car. DH and I didn't quite agree about how much we were going to spend on my car and it really frustrated me. Ultimately, dh and I compromised on a price and found a car that I really love.

ITA that if you have decided on a price point and the car that you want is in that price range that your dh shouldn't be the one telling you what to buy. You should go with what you want. I loved my ancient 1988 VW Jetta that I just had to send to the junkyard on Friday. I cried a bit as the wrecker picked it up. In recent years, though the Jettas haven't had great reliability.

ETC: I spoke before I really looked at CR. Consumer Reports DOES recommend the new Jetta now and predicts reliability to be good.

VWs have a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty, BTW. They've never had a 100,000 mile warranty. I know people that love their VWs. I do know that there is no reason that you have to take a car to the dealer for warranty service. Any licensed mechanic shop can perform warranty service on a car, most people just use the dealer. If you are that far away from the dealer, though, you can try to find a reputable shop in your area that specializes in German cars. I really wouldn't buy one if you don't have someone in your area that knows VWs well, though. They can be tricky to fix. I had an awesome mechanic who only worked on VWs and Audis and I'm going to miss him now that I don't have my VW any more.

On other thing to keep in mind is that the Jetta's backseat is not huge. If you are planning to add another baby to the family anytime soon, it may be a challenge to get 2 carseats back there without pushing the front seats up pretty far.

KBecks
12-17-2007, 08:14 AM
I think your DH has a valid point about a dealer 2 hours away. PITA, IMO.

That said, he should otherwise be as flexible as possible. I do think of marriage as partnerships and if you are a team, his opinion counts, but.... he should be as supportive as possible in finding something that makes you happy and he can live with.

I think you should hold your ground and check on local service for the VW. The dealer may be able to recommend a shop since they know they're too far away for you to take it to them for oil changes and other routine maintenance.

Have you driven an Acura yet?

JoyNChrist
12-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the support and advice, y'all.

We bought....

Nothing!

We just couldn't seem to agree, and it was turning into an argument, which neither of us really wanted. So we're going to take some time and do some more research, and we'll buy something closer to summertime, when there will be better rebates on 2008 models.

So I don't have a new car, but there's peace in our household. All's well. :)

Lilysmom06
12-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Well, hopefully you will be able to find something you both agree on, and get a great deal at the same time!

My sister has a Jetta, and likes it, but definitely doesn't love it. She feels it is too small (she used to drive an Altima, which is a little bigger),

And I had a Subaru, and while they are AWESOME, the backseats are tiny, and its hard to get a carseat in there and fit in the front seat. Thats why we now have a minivan :).

I hate car shopping, it is so stressful. Glad to hear you guys have agreed on something (even if its just to wait).

Kathy