PDA

View Full Version : Birthday gift for DS turning 5 -Help!

bnme
12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Help!

I am so out of ideas on what to get our DS turning 5 January 3rd (can't believe it!). I want a 'wow' sort of gift but it's so hard with xmas so close.

He has a Leapster & Grandma is getting him V-Smile for xmas. He has a scooter and a bike.

We are getting the boys more Geo Trax stuff, a basket ball hoop, big wheels and assorted smaller things for xmas.

I am thinking a castle (torn between wood or Playmobil) or unit type blocks. But I am not sure if he is getting too old for this.

Hit me with any ideas, what you bought your 5 yo, what your 5yo loves.
THANKS

willow33
12-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Our ds turns 5 in Feb. This is what he is getting:

Oregon Scientific Deluxe Globe - he is very interested in geography and although this is expensive it does grow with the child.

I also have some other things stored away that I may give him or give to my mom/sister to give him. Board games - Telling time game, Enchanted Forest game, Blokus. I also have a learning cash register that is a possibility.

HTH some! It is so hard when their bdays are so close to the holidays :)

bnme
12-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Is this the one?
http://oregonscientific.factoryoutletstore.com/details/2258-3974/Oregon-Scientific-Smart-Globe-PR18S.html

Wow, I really like it. My Mom got him the V-tech one last year and it is so junky- and nothing compared to this one. He never even plays with it. My DS also loves maps, atlases etc. He knows many of his states and I think he would really enjoy this.

Yes, these holiday birthday's are hard. Also hard when my other DS is close in age - they both want the same things (even when it is not age-appropriate for the younger guy).

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Legos! They are practically the only thing my 5yo ds wants. We usually buy the sets that build something specific, build them once, keep them together a few days, then integrate the pieces to our collection and build new stuff. :) They have a Lego castle but it's $100.

Board games...Cariboo, Hullaballoo, Jr. Labirynth, Clue Jr., Sorry (ds is stil learning this one), checkers, Rush Hour Jr..

Books...chapter books (my ds would recommend Captain Underpants).

Art supplies like color change markers or the markers that have stamps on one end.

Beth

Tondi G
12-14-2007, 08:30 PM
My now 6 year old is all about LEGOs! He loves them! They do have Castle Legos.

He also likes Zoob's They apparently now have a set where you can build an R/C Zoob Car!

He is in love with the Nintendo Wii (he plays with Daddy a lot). He seems kind of over the Vsmile... our friends kiddos just got a Vflash and he seems to think that is cool.

He is getting a stomp rocket for Christmas.... we were at an at home wedding and a group of 6 children played with the stomp rocket for over an hour.... it was great and it's CHEAP (think $10)

My DS also likes Pokemon. He has no idea really what to do with the darn cards but he loves them... as well as the little figures!

I think my mom got him a digital coin jar.... it keeps track of your savings... again a cheap thing that I think DS will enjoy! There is nothing like watching a couple of coins here and there grow into 5, 10 ,20 bucks..... then they can buy something with their OWN money!

HTH's you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

bnme
12-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Legos! They are practically the only thing my 5yo ds wants. We usually buy the sets that build something specific, build them once, keep them together a few days, then integrate the pieces to our collection and build new stuff. :) They have a Lego castle but it's $100.

Board games...Cariboo, Hullaballoo, Jr. Labirynth, Clue Jr., Sorry (ds is stil learning this one), checkers, Rush Hour Jr..

Books...chapter books (my ds would recommend Captain Underpants).

Art supplies like color change markers or the markers that have stamps on one end.

Beth

Duh! Don't know why I didn't think of Leggos....have to check some out.

And markers with stamps on one end....Where does one get these? My kids are both obssesd with stamps/stamping.

bnme
12-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Tondi,

The stomp rocket looks soo cool. Do you know what BM store carries them? We have and like Zoob, too.

My DH can't wait to get the kids a more grown up video game system but I think we will wait until next Christmas, or maybe sooner ;). I'm most concerned about it getting broken and dealing with the kids fighting over it -my little guy is just not ready yet. For now the Leapster is all they have played so I think they will like the Vsmile.

But DH wants Wii, for sure.

willow33
12-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Is this the one?
http://oregonscientific.factoryoutletstore.com/details/2258-3974/Oregon-Scientific-Smart-Globe-PR18S.html

Wow, I really like it. My Mom got him the V-tech one last year and it is so junky- and nothing compared to this one. He never even plays with it. My DS also loves maps, atlases etc. He knows many of his states and I think he would really enjoy this.

Yes, these holiday birthday's are hard. Also hard when my other DS is close in age - they both want the same things (even when it is not age-appropriate for the younger guy).

That's the one we bought. We didn't pay that much though. I think I bought it on barnesandnoble.com with a 50% code and free shipping.

Legos are a great idea as well. He is actually getting the lego fire station/truck for Xmas.

Good luck deciding!!

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2007, 10:50 AM
We got the marker/ stamps at Target. Made by RoseArt.

HTH,
Beth

new_mommy25
12-15-2007, 01:23 PM
I was going to sugges Legos are Zoobs too! Also, Magnatiles.

Tondi G
12-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Amazon has a couple of different brands of stomp rockets but I found them at Target. It is this one

http://www.target.com/Air-Hogs-Screamn-Streamn-Rocket/dp/B000EGH0FS/sr=1-1/qid=1197764119/ref=sr_1_1/602-6611005-8967043?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-original-keywords=stomp%20rocket&rh=k%3Atop%20rocket&page=1

It was kind of in the sporting goods area..... but I believe there were mega forts and such in the aisle too!