PDA

View Full Version : Infant Seat Crash Tests

klc92201
12-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Ok I am confused! How did all the seats fail at the high speeds, I know consumer reports did them at higher requirements but how do I know which ones are safe. I am leaning toward the Graco Safe Seat or Peg Perrego. Maybe another snugride I just hated their carry handle with my DD. How do I sort this out to know which seats are safe. I mean the Peg Perrego failed while latched, and the safe seat at side impact. That leave the stupid snug ride with its stupid handles. Which one did you choose? Did the crash test play into your choice in your decission? Would you still use the Peg Perrego with latch though it failed while using it?

Heather

daniele_ut
12-15-2007, 12:45 AM
The Consumer Reports test that you are referring to was retracted not long after it was printed because the testing methodology was all flawed. All of those seats were retested a few months later and they all passed.

Their current top pic is the Chicco Keyfit, which is a great seat. I'll be buying either a KeyFit30 or a Safeseat for this baby and I'll feel that my child is nice and safe in either one.

klc92201
12-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Their current top pic is the Chicco Keyfit, which is a great seat. I'll be buying either a KeyFit30 or a Safeseat for this baby and I'll feel that my child is nice and safe in either one.

Yes, I did some more research and found that out. Did the Peg perego pass when they used it with latch? I like the Keyfit but read that it doesn't attatch to strollers except for there's and I used my infant seat with a stroller quite a bit. I like the safe seat but will probally not use it past the 22lbs since with a 30lb dummy it didn't do so well. Well My babies are normally tall and lean so I shouldn't have to worry about it. I am not sure about the Peg because same thing will it fit into my stroller?

Heather

o_mom
12-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, I did some more research and found that out. Did the Peg perego pass when they used it with latch? I like the Keyfit but read that it doesn't attatch to strollers except for there's and I used my infant seat with a stroller quite a bit. I like the safe seat but will probally not use it past the 22lbs since with a 30lb dummy it didn't do so well. Well My babies are normally tall and lean so I shouldn't have to worry about it. I am not sure about the Peg because same thing will it fit into my stroller?

Heather

The 30 lb dummy that Consumer Reports used was too tall for the seat - just one of the many errors that CR made in their testing. In the revised (correct) testing, all the seats that CR tested passed. Most babies will be too tall for the Safeseat before 30 lbs, but it gives an additional 2-3 inches in height over any other seat on the market which means it lasts 4-12 months longer. My DS2 was just at the height limits for the SafeSeat at around 21 months, but he only weight around 24 lbs (he is 28lbs now at 2.5 yrs).

I would ask over on the stroller board about the specfic stroller you are interested in and if the KeyFit would work with it. The Chicco strollers are actually quite nice, IMO.

klc92201
12-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks! I didn't even think of it that way. I like the graco ones because they are easy and go with everything.

I am thinking of buying a double stroller that I want the infant seat to work with plus my current Graco metro lite for when we done have DD #1 with us.

Heather