PDA

View Full Version : Almost 5 YO Boy--Too Old for Unit Blocks???

smkinc
12-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I wish I had bought these a couple years ago. :(

We had the M&D block train that he very recently re-discoverd and has been building very creatively small structures with (its a total of maybe 12 blocks). I'm thinking unit blocks might be a nice heirloom gift, but not if he won't play with them too much longer.

He loves Duplos at Grandmas and We have legos which he has started playing with a bit. Should I just stay on the Lego track or go get Unit blocks? I'm hoping he'll play with them at least a few more years.

TIA,
Mary

elliput
12-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Oh, gosh, no. 5 is definitely not too old. My family has a set of unit blocks and I know we played with them for years. I remember making Barbie houses, car race tracks, zoo fences and everything else with the blocks. Unit blocks in my opinion are (forgive the bad pun) the "building blocks" of imaginitive play, as they can become anything. Currently my 9.5 yo nephew has the set and he still plays with them.

kijip
12-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Nah, kids his age are just getting warmed up with unit blocks. I would get him some. My son is 4 and 1/2 and he got 1 set over the summer and now he is getting a second set to allow him to build bigger.

And Amazon has that great price on them right now.

smkinc
12-15-2007, 03:53 AM
I just ordered the M&D ones from Amazon (I actually ordered 2 more for potential gifts). I think he will really enjoy these!

1964pandora
12-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Supposedly, kids only really start BUILDING with unit blocks at 3.5 or 4, so 5 should be right in the heart of some really good block building time! I'm no expert, I just learned what I know from the Barclay blocks website. Just google Barclay blocks and you'll be able to read a wealth of info. about unit blocks. I finally broke down and ordered a big set of Barclay blocks for my 3 year old yesterday.

brittone2
12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Before Kindergarten became so academic in many areas, I think they were considered kind of a standard in K classrooms. I definitely think your DC will play with them for several more years, honestly.